Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Average power rankings
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I think power rankings this time of year are about as useful to us as a rare steak in a lion's cage. All they're worth really is an indication of what the pundits think of a team. Well, here ya go, average power rankings for NFC East teams:
1 - Cowboys (6.4)
2 - Giants (7)
3 - Washington (18)
4 - Eagles (21.7)
I don't see it as disrespect as much as I do drivel. These guys have to validate their paycheck and so they tap tap tap on a keyboard and head for the bars. Actually, I like this because it's nice to have teams look past you, especially when you're rebuilding. On paper the Cowboys and Giants probably are better than the Eagles but the Redskins are a rotting wound oozing puss. The Cowboys have had their defense and OL weakened in FA and last time I looked, Eli is still the Giants QB.

It ain't over 'til it's over.
The Franchise
I looked at the ESPN power rankings post-free agency, and we're ranked #21 behind Washington at #20 AFTER we added Jeffery and Smith, and Washington lost DJax and Garcon. Ridiculous. Those acquisitions alone put us right outside the top-10, and who knows what the draft will bring. My only concern at this point is Doug's gameday coaching.

Leave it to the Redskins to finally look decent, and then lose two 1,000 yard receivers. laugh.gif
Reality Fan
I agree with Z...this stuff is drivel.

While trying to be objective I look at the Eagles with a rookie head coach and a rookie QB and suspect (I am being kind) CB play and realize they could/should have won 3 more games but did not due to a rookie QB taking his learning lumps and a few bad coaching moves. I thought the coach did pretty well as a rookie and the QB seems to be the kind that learns from his mistakes so when you add real WRs and their line seems strong and deep now I can't imagine how the Skins can be ahead of them in any objective view.

This stuff really is nothing more than major market writers playing to their base.....pure garbage that has no value and no repercussions for being way off base.
Eyrie
Right now every team has too many holes to be realistically compared so it's irrelevant until after the draft at the earliest.

However such articles are at least something to read during a quiet spell.

Dreagon
It's drivel.

We got all our starters on offense back (remember, Leary wasn't our starter), but we lost most of our defensive backfield and some important rotational players on our defensive line. And since we don't do much in free agency anymore, that means we are probably going to have a lot of rookies playing defense.

The Giants are...the Giants. Eli is gonna Eli, and the rest of the division kind of has to sit back and watch how that turns out on a week to week basis.

You guys have some important pieces in place, now things should look up as you start building around them.

The Redskins finally have a franchise QB, but he's the guy Shanahan picked and Snyder don't like that. They franchise tagged him (again), and then got rid of both of his 1000 yard receivers. The dumpsters burn merrily into the night up in DC.

Point is, I can see three different teams taking the division next year.
Joegrane
Maybe the Skins are trying to prove to Cousins that he is not above average with just average WRs.

If the Eagles get the CB position patched up they should be solid playoff contenders

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 27 2017, 02:30 PM) *
It's drivel.

We got all our starters on offense back (remember, Leary wasn't our starter), but we lost most of our defensive backfield and some important rotational players on our defensive line. And since we don't do much in free agency anymore, that means we are probably going to have a lot of rookies playing defense.

The Giants are...the Giants. Eli is gonna Eli, and the rest of the division kind of has to sit back and watch how that turns out on a week to week basis.

You guys have some important pieces in place, now things should look up as you start building around them.

The Redskins finally have a franchise QB, but he's the guy Shanahan picked and Snyder don't like that. They franchise tagged him (again), and then got rid of both of his 1000 yard receivers. The dumpsters burn merrily into the night up in DC.

Point is, I can see three different teams taking the division next year.

nd9kel
While you're ranking crap:

https://twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/8...6999808/photo/1

Deep ball Rankings: Bradford A+ Wentz D

When the Vikings traded for Sam Bradford to backup the injured Teddy Bridgewater before the 2016 season began, it was met with a polarized reception. The tide of that changed when the Vikings started 5-0, but came back when they finished the season 8-8, with much of the criticism coming at the front office for trading for Bradford.

All things considered, however, you just may be surprised by Bradford’s downfield passing. His reputation is that of a short passer, but that’s unearned. Playing behind the worst offensive line in the league, little time is given for Bradford to develop his reads or the receivers to progress on their routes, leading to missed opportunities and sacks.

But when Bradford was able to release the ball, he did it with extreme efficiency. If you’re aware of my past work, you’ll know Bradford was graded highly in the 2015-16 DBP. Usually, there’s nowhere to go but down, but Bradford found a way to go up, further increasing his accuracy with tight, precise downfield bombs hitting receivers in stride and away from defenders. He finished with the highest overall downfield accuracy in 2016, with 66.7% of his passes being accurate.

Bradford’s downfield passing isn’t just underrated, good, very good, really good, or great. It’s sensational. Look for yourself and see a quarterback with tremendous deep passing ability.

FINAL GRADE: A+
Dreagon
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 27 2017, 03:32 PM) *
Maybe the Skins are trying to prove to Cousins that he is not above average with just average WRs.

If the Eagles get the CB position patched up they should be solid playoff contenders

Only Dan Snyder would try and prove how average the QB he just franchised tagged for the second time is. biggrin.gif

I think you guys are legitimate. Like I said, three out of the four NFC East teams have realistic shots at the division title, and even the Redskins might trip and fall in the right direction.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Mar 28 2017, 06:49 AM) *

In all fairness to Wentz, receivers matter. What did he have in the way of deep ball receivers last year.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Mar 28 2017, 07:49 AM) *
While you're ranking crap:

https://twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/8...6999808/photo/1

I agree that it is silly and I liked Bradford. I agree his dink and dunk rep is one earned from terrible offensive line play....he had both that and Chip Kelly's screens behind the line of scrimmage here. At least here and in Minny it was more injury than talent.

That being said, Wentz had a couple of nice deep passes but he is not Bradford's equal yet. Bradford throws a great deep ball, I have always said that if he had legitimate WRs he would be great (sound familiar?) and with a healthy Diggs next year we will find out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.