Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mixon, yes or no?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Listening to sports talk stations and reading views on blogs, there's quite a lot of debate on Oklahoma's Joe Mixon. A few pundits claim he could be the best RB in the draft, others say he's definitely a first round talent. Almost every one I've heard or read say they wouldn't have him on their board because he punched out a woman as a freshman.

I'm sure we've all seen the video and the guy was an asshole for doing what he did even though the girl aggravated the situation. Seriously, like most every guy I know we were raised to cover our head and walk away when some idiot girl tries to beat us. Unless the situation is life threatening, it's just not something a guy does, ever.

What do we know about Mixon besides he clocked this chick and is a very good football player? What happened to him in his early childhood? Has he been in trouble before or after that incident? Is he just a dumbass that needed his ass kicked for hitting a girl or is he a bad dude?

I'm betting most of us think that under many circumstances even a murderer deserves a chance for redemption, that our society should give everyone a second chance. That young, high testosterone kids do stupid things and most often learn from it, grow from the experience and become better people because of it.

To the point, would you draft Mixon or not? Why, and if so where?

If he's there at 43, I take him providing my security people tell me he's not an asshole but made a stupid move and I have him commit to community service helping battered women.
Dreagon
I think it drops him out of the first round, but if he's that good some club will spend a mid-round or compensatory pick on him.
Reality Fan
It is a pretty bad video.....he is really good but I wonder what he will do when he gets money in his pocket and does not have 24/7 supervision like he had in college after the incident. Really tough call...the Eagles have Dawk and co. to shepherd these guys but it didn't seem to help Agholar among others. If I can get him in the 3rd round maybe I take a flyer on him.
Joegrane
I agree, 3rd round. You can make the case to the public that he should have been making 1st round $. So they can do the math and say Mixon is going to "pay" $10 million--or whatever-- in lost revenue over the course of his career for his crime.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 23 2017, 09:56 PM) *
It is a pretty bad video.....he is really good but I wonder what he will do when he gets money in his pocket and does not have 24/7 supervision like he had in college after the incident. Really tough call...the Eagles have Dawk and co. to shepherd these guys but it didn't seem to help Agholar among others. If I can get him in the 3rd round maybe I take a flyer on him.
nephillymike
In America, people get a second chance.

He will be no different.

I recognize that he deserves a second chance somewhere, but I have the right not to hire him.

I pass. I don't need the aggravation and political posterings.
Aitkens
Crimes against women or children, no thanks. It's not like it was a misunderstanding, and he pushed her away. He didn't just punch her either, he punched her with every intention of hurting her. It's no shock that he completely knocked her out.
Zero
QUOTE (Aitkens @ Mar 25 2017, 03:47 PM) *
Crimes against women or children, no thanks. It's not like it was a misunderstanding, and he pushed her away. He didn't just punch her either, he punched her with every intention of hurting her. It's no shock that he completely knocked her out.

I don't disagree, but I'm not sure it wasn't a reaction instead of an intentional act meant to cause damage (not that it makes a lot of difference). From what I've read she not only pushed him but offered a N slur. It's not an excuse, it doesn't condone it and he's still a punk ass pussy for hitting a woman, but he was also a kid with higher testosterone than an average grisly bear. Is this the norm with him? Is he a pampered, entitled, out of control athlete or did he do something he'll regret for the rest of his life regardless of what happens to his professional career? At what point do we stop judging and punishing people for their mistakes? I don't know the answers, but we have to be careful judging people on limited information. This also isn't a plea to draft the kid.
Joegrane
very well said.

GMs have a big decision to make. The kid's not a defensive tackle who won't be in the limelight. The kid has star talent at a glamorous position. Add in all of the $$$. Who knows how the kid is going to handle it all. He could end up in jail a month later and be a total bust.

Maybe Howie will think Duce, Sproles and Dawk can guide him to success as a player and as a grown man. BWest is still around too and is an articulate guy. I assume that is a much stronger group to deal with the situation than most teams have.

Chip K's nutrition guru is still around too, correct? I can tell you from personal experience that correcting something as simple as very low lithium on hair and blood test can make a person much more chilled out and tolerant in competitive situations! The effect was pretty amazing.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/opinion/...of-lithium.html

He could be a decent guy who has a biochemical problem that makes it really hard to keep the cork on in competitive situations. I could tell you how hard I was once trying to be patient in such situations. It was hard in the heat of the moment. Now it is not so hard.

If they trade down in the first and pick up a third, I'd roll the dice.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 26 2017, 10:02 AM) *
I don't disagree, but I'm not sure it wasn't a reaction instead of an intentional act meant to cause damage (not that it makes a lot of difference). From what I've read she not only pushed him but offered a N slur. It's not an excuse, it doesn't condone it and he's still a punk ass pussy for hitting a woman, but he was also a kid with higher testosterone than an average grisly bear. Is this the norm with him? Is he a pampered, entitled, out of control athlete or did he do something he'll regret for the rest of his life regardless of what happens to his professional career? At what point do we stop judging and punishing people for their mistakes? I don't know the answers, but we have to be careful judging people on limited information. This also isn't a plea to draft the kid.
SLOiggles
Preferably not. Talent-wise he's arguably one of the best backs in this class. However, the distraction likely isn't worth it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.