Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backfill them holes Howie
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
First, it seems that the sites that provide cap information are unreliable at best. OTC shows the Eagles with $5,045,160 available cap, second to the lowest, Spotrac shows us as having the least space at $1,647,893 and the NFLPA has the Eagles with $9,751,328. Arguably, we should rely on the NFLPA as being accurate ... I guess.

If we use that number and subtract OTC's rookie pool number (if that's reliable) of $6,839,132, it leaves the team with $2,912,196 usable cap. Back to OTC, if they cut Mathews and cut or trade Kelce and Kendricks they add $7,980,000 giving them a total of $17,731,328 going into the draft and $10,892,196 usable cap to add necessary players to the roster.

Would that be enough to add a veteran CB (Malcolm Butler, Trumaine Johnson?) via trade and or sign a FA DT (Jonathan Hankins?) and have enough to carry some over for next year?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 22 2017, 07:28 PM) *
First, it seems that the sites that provide cap information are unreliable at best. OTC shows the Eagles with $5,045,160 available cap, second to the lowest, Spotrac shows us as having the least space at $1,647,893 and the NFLPA has the Eagles with $9,751,328. Arguably, we should rely on the NFLPA as being accurate ... I guess.

If we use that number and subtract OTC's rookie pool number (if that's reliable) of $6,839,132, it leaves the team with $2,912,196 usable cap. Back to OTC, if they cut Mathews and cut or trade Kelce and Kendricks they add $7,980,000 giving them a total of $17,731,328 going into the draft and $10,892,196 usable cap to add necessary players to the roster.

Would that be enough to add a veteran CB (Malcolm Butler, Trumaine Johnson?) via trade and or sign a FA DT (Jonathan Hankins?) and have enough to carry some over for next year?

I think OTC is more accurate than SPOTRAC.

However, the 6+ M is way too high for rookies.

For each rookie you sign, you subtract a current salary currently included in the cap to make room on the roster. A conservative figure is to multiply the # picks by 540K and subtract that total from OTC's rookie allocation.

Guessing the nflpa doesn't have rookies pool in it.
Zero
There should be someplace to find it, isn't slotted by draft position? I don't see why it would be a secret but I couldn't find it.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 22 2017, 07:49 PM) *
There should be someplace to find it, isn't slotted by draft position? I don't see why it would be a secret but I couldn't find it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/

Go down the page to projected draft pool.

These are gross numbers.

Need to subtract the guys we'd cut to make room at at least 540K per.
Reality Fan
no worries guys...remember they can create as much cap space as they need...the cap means nothing....lololol
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 22 2017, 09:15 PM) *
no worries guys...remember they can create as much cap space as they need...the cap means nothing....

Precisely. If required, Howie and company will find a way.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 22 2017, 09:36 PM) *
Precisely. If required, Howie and company will find a way.

True.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 22 2017, 11:20 PM) *
True.

hahahaha...of course...that is why they have signed 0 defensive FAs....

too damn funny
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 23 2017, 12:06 AM) *
hahahaha...of course...that is why they have signed 0 defensive FAs....

too damn funny

What's "too damn funny" is how you ignore the question and snipe from the cheap seats instead of offering something. The player's union says we have almost $10 mil of cap that could be reasonably increased to more than $17 mil, giving the team the money to add one or two of those defensive players you're chirping about.

C'mon, you're good at this, what would Hankins cost? Would you sacrifice a pick and top salary for either of those CBs who are rumored to be available for trade?
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 22 2017, 09:05 PM) *
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/

Go down the page to projected draft pool.

These are gross numbers.

Need to subtract the guys we'd cut to make room at at least 540K per.

That $6,843,548 is a little more than OTC uses. My point was that there should be an official NFL or NFLPA page that shows the numbers. And, I get what you're saying about the cuts offsetting the new salaries. BTW, I believe all of those numbers were based on the top 51 players.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 23 2017, 05:59 AM) *
What's "too damn funny" is how you ignore the question and snipe from the cheap seats instead of offering something. The player's union says we have almost $10 mil of cap that could be reasonably increased to more than $17 mil, giving the team the money to add one or two of those defensive players you're chirping about.

C'mon, you're good at this, what would Hankins cost? Would you sacrifice a pick and top salary for either of those CBs who are rumored to be available for trade?

So you look at 3 sources for cap information and you decide the one that is most advantageous to your point is the one you will accept? I look at all 3 and look at what the Eagles have done so far in FA and listen to what all of their beat writers say and realize that the NFLPA, a site that is in existence to help the players and I go with the sites that do not have a horse in the race. I am not sniping, I am pointing out what Mikey knows. The cap is real. The Eagles ARE in cap trouble no matter how much you choose to hope otherwise. Howie blew his load signing players on offense so he can say he was right about his QB. He hasn't signed any defensive FAs because he doesn't have the money to do so. He hasn't traded for anyone because he needs to sign draft picks because he needs the cap relief rookie contracts will bring.

It does not thrill me to see the Eagles in this situation, it is depressing as hell but it is clearly the path he has taken no matter how much you hope. Trades take 2 parties and the cap room to absorb the incoming contracts. You can assume the other teams will go along with whatever scrap you want them to take. Trumaine Johnson is going to be very expensive and it is likely that the Rams either franchise him or sign him. Malcolm Butler is in the same boat, he wants big money and won't sign his tender unless the team he will be traded to gives him the money he thinks he deserves. Hankins wants big money but will likely have to settle for somewhere in the 3-5 million range which is still a lot for the Eagles.

Here is one beat writer's breakdown:
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/03...h_ertz_dea.html
Now he follows the Eagles almost exclusively so I think he has a pretty decent idea on the numbers. Maybe you can call him and let him know he is off by a lot.

Foles counts for 1.6 of the remaining 5 so far....Kendricks and Matthews will free up 9 more. That means they will sit somewhere around 7 million left for any other help. That is for another CB and a DT. Not exactly a ton of money to get help.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 23 2017, 10:31 AM) *
So you look at 3 sources for cap information and you decide the one that is most advantageous to your point is the one you will accept? I look at all 3 and look at what the Eagles have done so far in FA and listen to what all of their beat writers say and realize that the NFLPA, a site that is in existence to help the players and I go with the sites that do not have a horse in the race. I am not sniping, I am pointing out what Mikey knows. The cap is real. The Eagles ARE in cap trouble no matter how much you choose to hope otherwise. Howie blew his load signing players on offense so he can say he was right about his QB. He hasn't signed any defensive FAs because he doesn't have the money to do so. He hasn't traded for anyone because he needs to sign draft picks because he needs the cap relief rookie contracts will bring.

It does not thrill me to see the Eagles in this situation, it is depressing as hell but it is clearly the path he has taken no matter how much you hope. Trades take 2 parties and the cap room to absorb the incoming contracts. You can assume the other teams will go along with whatever scrap you want them to take. Trumaine Johnson is going to be very expensive and it is likely that the Rams either franchise him or sign him. Malcolm Butler is in the same boat, he wants big money and won't sign his tender unless the team he will be traded to gives him the money he thinks he deserves. Hankins wants big money but will likely have to settle for somewhere in the 3-5 million range which is still a lot for the Eagles.

Here is one beat writer's breakdown:
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/03...h_ertz_dea.html
Now he follows the Eagles almost exclusively so I think he has a pretty decent idea on the numbers. Maybe you can call him and let him know he is off by a lot.

Foles counts for 1.6 of the remaining 5 so far....Kendricks and Matthews will free up 9 more. That means they will sit somewhere around 7 million left for any other help. That is for another CB and a DT. Not exactly a ton of money to get help.

There ya go. Thanks.

It's a discussion forum not a contest to see who's right, and I picked the NFLPA because they are a body of the league and get first hand information on contracts, etc. Just a guess on my part, not cherry picking.

Believe it or not, I did reach out to Parks by email about a week ago and he hasn't responded. Domo's really good about answering emails, BTW.
nephillymike
Just like most other writers, they are wrong when they talk about the cap.

It is amazing after all these years how much they struggle.

And before some of you humble yourselves and admit that you struggle too, this is not your job! You guys work real jobs of 40+ hours a week and THEN you read about the fine details of caponomics. This is these guys real job.

Parks is no different.

He basically is just regurgitates OTC.

He says cap room to sign rookies is about 5M, he mentions that players need to be cut to make room but doesn't quantify the net cap hit. He'd be a lot closer if he took the OTC rookie pool from that same site ( I know it requires the effort of hitting another tab on the same site) and then back off the lowest eight salary cap hits on the Eagles top 51 and netting against the 6.5 M or so that site has for the pool.

They just don't put the time in for their craft. Whether this guy and this article or RF's buddy Roob mailing it in.

I can understand when the cap concepts were relatively new, but not now.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 23 2017, 07:58 PM) *
Just like most other writers, they are wrong when they talk about the cap.

It is amazing after all these years how much they struggle.

And before some of you humble yourselves and admit that you struggle too, this is not your job! You guys work real jobs of 40+ hours a week and THEN you read about the fine details of caponomics. This is these guys real job.

Parks is no different.

He basically is just regurgitates OTC.

He says cap room to sign rookies is about 5M, he mentions that players need to be cut to make room but doesn't quantify the net cap hit. He'd be a lot closer if he took the OTC rookie pool from that same site ( I know it requires the effort of hitting another tab on the same site) and then back off the lowest eight salary cap hits on the Eagles top 51 and netting against the 6.5 M or so that site has for the pool.

They just don't put the time in for their craft. Whether this guy and this article or RF's buddy Roob mailing it in.

I can understand when the cap concepts were relatively new, but not now.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox.

I agree....they are no better than a lot of guys who post here and they should be on a whole different level.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 23 2017, 06:58 PM) *
There ya go. Thanks.

It's a discussion forum not a contest to see who's right, and I picked the NFLPA because they are a body of the league and get first hand information on contracts, etc. Just a guess on my part, not cherry picking.

Believe it or not, I did reach out to Parks by email about a week ago and he hasn't responded. Domo's really good about answering emails, BTW.

I am hesitant to use the NFLPA for one reason, they are an advocate for the players and not part of the league. Their numbers will always skew toward the players.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 23 2017, 09:44 PM) *
I am hesitant to use the NFLPA for one reason, they are an advocate for the players and not part of the league. Their numbers will always skew toward the players.

If you take my guesstimate in the other post, it is within a few 100K. Rounding biggrin.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2017, 03:06 AM) *
If you take my guesstimate in the other post, it is within a few 100K. Rounding biggrin.gif

Remember your audit training - that rounding is clearly below materiality, and probably also below triviality.

So it's accurate enough for our purposes.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 24 2017, 02:37 PM) *
Remember your audit training - that rounding is clearly below materiality, and probably also below triviality.

So it's accurate enough for our purposes.

Except when you miss account for one guarantee of a liability in one joint venture out of 500 of them for a company called Enron and it crashes the biggest auditing firm in the world!!

And that minor issue of shredding work papers like a bunch of Mafia guys to cover your tracks!!

RIP Arthur Andersen sad.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2017, 10:31 PM) *
Except when you miss account for one guarantee of a liability in one joint venture out of 500 of them for a company called Enron and it crashes the biggest auditing firm in the world!!

And that minor issue of shredding work papers like a bunch of Mafia guys to cover your tracks!!

RIP Arthur Andersen sad.gif

I get paranoid about what I might be missing when signing an audit file in a way that I never felt as a manager handing it over for review.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.