Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sidney Jones
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
The Franchise
Probably the top CB in the draft, projected to go mid-first, suffered a torn Achilles tendon during pro day. He'll miss most of his rookie season. Obviously he won't be a first round pick, but should still be available at #74. He probably won't be there in the 4th for us.

Anyone here pull the trigger on him?

Reality Fan
A torn achilles is a pretty serious injury for anyone but a CB is probably worse...I think he is there much later
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 16 2017, 05:29 PM) *
A torn achilles is a pretty serious injury for anyone but a CB is probably worse...I think he is there much later

Most people I've seen have him going in the late 3rd-early 4th now. He's obviously not going to be good to go in 2017, but if he makes a full recovery could be a 3rd-4th round steal based on his performance in college. Just wondering other people's thoughts on it.
nephillymike
Pass.

I feel horrible for the kid.

However, an Achilles for a CB?

No can do.

And he was my preferred pick in round one.

I hope he recovers fully, but I can't risk it.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 16 2017, 07:32 PM) *
I feel horrible for the kid.

Seriously. To train your whole life, to be projected as one of the top 15 players in your entire sport entering the pros, guaranteed 8 figures of payment? Then, during a meaningless drill, you injure yourself and are looking at 6 figures per year.

He could recover and easily get a huge contract, but as a CB if he ends up losing a step because of this permanently that's it.
nephillymike
I wonder how many of these kids are insured?

Remember that Oregon CB a few years ago who got hurt?

Name began with an O.

He had insurance.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 16 2017, 10:16 PM) *
I wonder how many of these kids are insured?

Remember that Oregon CB a few years ago who got hurt?

Name began with an O.

He had insurance.

Ekpre-Olomu. The NCAA provides insurance for total disability, as in an obviously career ending injury where they will never be able to compete professionally. That guy was trying to collect on a 'loss of value' policy, extra insurance purchased by students designed for top picks who experience a loss in value. It's recommended that you are projected in the top 10 to do so, and he collected $3 million in insurance, I believe the only player to successfully collect on such a policy. He still missed out on another $7-10 million, but he's currently a free agent and isn't exactly considered a prime target, so I guess he ended up winning.
The Franchise
Bump.

Nobody here wanted him at #43, and I thought he'd be available in the 3rd. We'll never know how long he would've stayed available, a dice roll for sure.
GroundedBird
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Apr 28 2017, 08:21 PM) *
Bump.

Nobody here wanted him at #43, and I thought he'd be available in the 3rd. We'll never know how long he would've stayed available, a dice roll for sure.

There is a video showing the flexibility on his injured ankle. He's moving it around pretty well.
Joegrane
I thought he'd go in the upper third of the 3rd round to a team with no playoff aspirations, one that is building for the future.

From one of the articles the following was disturbing about the surgical repair process. A guessing game for the surgeon does not sound attractive.

"Currently, it’s thought that operative treatment yields the best functional outcome for active patients.4-12 Intra-operatively, the appropriate resting tension of the tendon should be restored. Unfortunately, this is difficult to assess because there is no objective way to predict the actual resting tension of the tendon. Theoretically, if this tension is not restored, the force-tension relationship of the muscle tendon unit is disturbed, which would lead to a decrease in functional strength in the gastroc-soleus complex. This functional weakness could lead to more subtle loss of playing ability in high-demand athletes."

I suppose if the surgeon creates excessive tension, there is an increased risk of reinjury.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Apr 28 2017, 07:21 PM) *
Bump.

Joegrane
Howie in the interview says because of his age he expects 100% recovery.

Maybe this was not such a bad degree of injury because he was just at his Pro Day, not being hit by a OT.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Apr 28 2017, 07:21 PM) *
Bump.

The Franchise
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Apr 28 2017, 09:17 PM) *

He's going to need it. A CB has to be the fastest guy on the field, it would be a great comeback story.
Joegrane
Yes the kind of story that will likely play well in Philly.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Apr 28 2017, 09:42 PM) *
He's going to need it. A CB has to be the fastest guy on the field, it would be a great comeback story.

D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Apr 29 2017, 03:17 AM) *

Maybe this was not such a bad degree of injury because he was just at his Pro Day, not being hit by a OT.

Achilles tend to be non contact in nature. Either way, a rupture is a rupture.

And, Yes... I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Zero
Jones has the quick feet and excellent balance to play press man coverage at a high level. Jones is at his best in the red zone where he clamps down — he didn’t allow a single touchdown in coverage in 2016 and even more impressively hasn’t given up a touchdown in coverage since Week 7 of the 2015 season.
Get well soon ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.