Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Happy with Jeffery?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Only as a point of reference, he was taken by the Bears #45. The Eagles have #43.

Pray Douglas is all we hope he is.
Aitkens
I've got mixed feelings on the signing. He's pretty much a one year paid mercenary. Typically you see teams bring in guys like this if they're only 1 or 2 players away from a Super Bowl, something the Eagles aren't even close to reaching at this point. There's some glaring issues on the defensive side of the ball, as well as a few other key offensive spots that still have big questions.

Talent-wise, he can play, and has the potential to be lethal in the Eagles' offense. I just worry about the 1 year deal, with no real look to the future. He puts up big numbers, and someone out there with a ton of cash is going to sign him to a deal that the Eagles aren't going to be able to touch.

In the end, the Eagles are left with 1 year of memories, and a ton of what ifs.
Zero
QUOTE (Aitkens @ Mar 16 2017, 08:05 PM) *
I've got mixed feelings on the signing. He's pretty much a one year paid mercenary. Typically you see teams bring in guys like this if they're only 1 or 2 players away from a Super Bowl, something the Eagles aren't even close to reaching at this point. There's some glaring issues on the defensive side of the ball, as well as a few other key offensive spots that still have big questions.

Talent-wise, he can play, and has the potential to be lethal in the Eagles' offense. I just worry about the 1 year deal, with no real look to the future. He puts up big numbers, and someone out there with a ton of cash is going to sign him to a deal that the Eagles aren't going to be able to touch.

In the end, the Eagles are left with 1 year of memories, and a ton of what ifs.

Unless they either extend him before FA or franchise him for another year ... or two. Not that the tag is a good way to go, but they can keep him if they want to and have the cap or if he wants to be here and signs a fair deal.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 17 2017, 06:03 AM) *
Unless they either extend him before FA or franchise him for another year ... or two. Not that the tag is a good way to go, but they can keep him if they want to and have the cap or if he wants to be here and signs a fair deal.

I think it is clearly a gamble, but a smart one. If Wentz and Jeffrey develop a strong chemistry and have success together then AJ has an incentive to stay and re-up with us. I am also sure that Howie knows he needs another year to shed more salary cap issues to offer a longer term deal. Then there is the growth of Wentz, giving him the kind of player AJ is, even if for only a year, can't help but accelerate his learning curve. My best feelings about this come from AJ's ability to hang onto a ball when thrown to him, impressive numbers in his career so far, and he did it in Chicago with their weather...even more impressive if you ask me. I think it was a combination of Wentz and our dearth of WR talent that made this AJ's preferred location, no other WRs on roster to compete with and an up and coming QB to throw to him, no brainer if you ask me.

So in answer to your question Z, yup, I am happy we got AJ.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 17 2017, 10:29 AM) *
I think it is clearly a gamble, but a smart one. If Wentz and Jeffrey develop a strong chemistry and have success together then AJ has an incentive to stay and re-up with us. I am also sure that Howie knows he needs another year to shed more salary cap issues to offer a longer term deal. Then there is the growth of Wentz, giving him the kind of player AJ is, even if for only a year, can't help but accelerate his learning curve. My best feelings about this come from AJ's ability to hang onto a ball when thrown to him, impressive numbers in his career so far, and he did it in Chicago with their weather...even more impressive if you ask me. I think it was a combination of Wentz and our dearth of WR talent that made this AJ's preferred location, no other WRs on roster to compete with and an up and coming QB to throw to him, no brainer if you ask me.

So in answer to your question Z, yup, I am happy we got AJ.

It will all come down to whether we offer him the most money after this season.....just like we offered him the most money this time...the Vikes offer, if there was one, was reported as "more security" which translates into multiple years....not more money per year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.