Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Depth at Three Positions of Need
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Per two sources, here is the depth by round of CB, WR, and RB. This is based on each prospect's rating, not draft projections based on mock drafts. The first source is CBS which is the first #, the second # is draft scout.

Round....CB..........RB............WR
1st.......3,5..........3,3............3,3
2nd......8,5..........1,0............3,5
3rd.......5,3..........1,2............6,3
4th.......1,4..........3,3............4,7
Total....17,17........8,8.........16,18

Seems like good depth at positions of need.

However, need to put the draft in perspective. Here are the % chances of players in these positions becoming a significant starter, defined as starting most of the games in their career.

Round......CB.......RB..........WR
1st..........64........58..........58
2nd.........46........25..........49
3rd.........24.........16..........25
4th..........11........11..........12

If we play the odds and draft CB, WR, CB, RB, that gives us 1.5 significant starters, which is equal odds of getting one starter or two starters out of the four.

Talk about buzz kill.

When's next year's FA start?
Zero
Our biggest need is CB, basically because we have one who's too slow to play outside. Fortunately, if I'm reading that right, CB has the most depth and the best chance of success outside of the first round. Next deepest and having the second best chance of success outside of the first is WR which happens to be the least important after FA. Leaving us with RB.

If the Eagles trade down 5 or 6 spots what's the likelihood of getting another #2 or #3 and McCaffrey? I keep reading that he's another Westbrook but also that he is similar (better) to Smallwood. That extra pick would help. And, speaking of Westy and Villanova, I wonder where Kpassagnon will be drafted. It'd be interesting to see what he'd do in Schwartz's D, and if Curry doesn't produce this year the team can save $5 mil in '18 if they part ways with the Eagle fan.
GroundedBird
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 16 2017, 06:15 AM) *
If the Eagles trade down 5 or 6 spots what's the likelihood of getting another #2 or #3 and McCaffrey?

a number of draft sites are saying that McCaffrey could be drafted 23+.

If that's true then maybe we could trade with the Texans. They want a QB and there should be two of the top three when the Eagles draft. Maybe that's why they are not moving on Romo.

The draft points say Texan's first (#25) and their second (#57) is of equal value to the Eagles #14.

That could give the Eagles a shot at McCaffrey and have two seconds, a third and two fourths. That's good given there is depth at the Eagles positions of need.

... but then... if Foster is still there at #14. I'd have to seriously think about keeping it.
Joegrane
Also trading down to around #19 could get you that team's 3rd and 5th round picks according to PFT's trade chart.

That extra third rounder plus the better of the Eagles two 4th rounders would get them up to the bottom of the 2nd round.

The two third rounders would get them almost to the center of the 2nd round.

I understand the attraction of McCaffrey for this system but they have enough firepower on offense. They need to patch up the CB spots. They especially need a CB who can start in game 1.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 16 2017, 05:15 AM) *
+....

If the Eagles trade down 5 or 6 spots what's the likelihood of getting another #2 or #3 and McCaffrey? ...

nephillymike
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Mar 25 2017, 02:44 PM) *
a number of draft sites are saying that McCaffrey could be drafted 23+.

If that's true then maybe we could trade with the Texans. They want a QB and there should be two of the top three when the Eagles draft. Maybe that's why they are not moving on Romo.

The draft points say Texan's first (#25) and their second (#57) is of equal value to the Eagles #14.

That could give the Eagles a shot at McCaffrey and have two seconds, a third and two fourths. That's good given there is depth at the Eagles positions of need.

... but then... if Foster is still there at #14. I'd have to seriously think about keeping it.

I'd think about it if I thought there was a good shot of us getting the same tier player at 25 as at 14. I think the jump down 11 spots would make it unlikely, but maybe going back 6 or 7 spots would keep us in the same tier.
Joegrane
Think about the player you might select by dropping down and getting a 3rd rounder.

Bennie Logan was a high 3rd rounder and needs to be replaced.

Jordan Hicks, Stew Bradley--LB and Nick Foles were picked around the same spot that we'd be receiving by moving down to around #18.

Unfortunately so were Curtis Marsh--CB, Dan TeoNesheim--LB, Bryan Smith--LB, Tony Hunt--RB.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 25 2017, 06:03 PM) *
I'd think about it if I thought there was a good shot of us getting the same tier player at 25 as at 14. I think the jump down 11 spots would make it unlikely, but maybe going back 6 or 7 spots would keep us in the same tier.

Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 25 2017, 11:03 PM) *

I wouldn't force a trade down, but given the current state of both roster and salary cap there is a definite benefit to doing so. Adding another third in exchange for dropping back half a dozen places is very appealing.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 26 2017, 01:36 AM) *
Think about the player you might select by dropping down and getting a 3rd rounder.

Bennie Logan was a high 3rd rounder and needs to be replaced.

Jordan Hicks, Stew Bradley--LB and Nick Foles were picked around the same spot that we'd be receiving by moving down to around #18.

Unfortunately so were Curtis Marsh--CB, Dan TeoNesheim--LB, Bryan Smith--LB, Tony Hunt--RB.

The same thing could be said about any pick, so I wouldn't be put off by previous busts and reaches.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.