Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles about to get $8M cap space back!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
GroundedBird
With the signing of Foles, Chase Daniel has asked the Eagles to release him and the team is expected to do so Monday, a source told ESPN's Adam Caplan -> link

With his release, that saves $8M ->link

Actually, reading more... it appears it depends on what he signs his next contract for -> link

Capologists, please weigh in!
Joegrane
I don't see any way this works financially for the Birds. Something must really have soured with Daniel.

QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Mar 13 2017, 09:39 AM) *
With the signing of Foles, Chase Daniel has asked the Eagles to release him and the team is expected to do so Monday, a source told ESPN's Adam Caplan -> link

With his release, that saves $8M ->link

Actually, reading more... it appears it depends on what he signs his next contract for -> link

Capologists, please weigh in!

The Franchise
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 13 2017, 09:51 AM) *
Something must really have soured with Daniel.

Ummm yeah - it's called signing someone who obviously is taking your job. He never should've been on the team with that contract anyway.
TO's Sharpie
Might have to trade Daniel and a draft pick for a bologna sandwich to get out from that contract.
Reality Fan
If they cut him post june 1st designation they save 2 million.....if they trade him they save 6 million.
nephillymike
Here's the deal.

Since they cut him, the can designate him as a post June 1st cut and save 2M cap.

Cut him regularly and save 1M cap.

Now while 5M of his salary is guaranteed, the Eagles have the right of offset, so they will save off of that 5M any money that others pay him. That savings funnels thru our cap. Whether it can be an adjustment that hits this year's cap or next year's I am not sure. If I get a chance, I will check the CBA. As consideration for his release, it is possible that Daniel gave up some of his guarantee knowing that
Joegrane
At one point Sanchez was getting $5mil if I recall correctly. That's a reasonable price for a #2 QB, no?

So I suppose Howie is assuming Daniel will get close to that and the Eagles will have to eat very little.

He's a magician with the numbers. If he could only avoid drafting M. Smiths and N Agholors.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 13 2017, 08:11 PM) *
Here's the deal.

Since they cut him, the can designate him as a post June 1st cut and save 2M cap.

Now while 5M of his salary is guaranteed, the Eagles have the right of offset, so they will save off of that 5M any money that others pay him. That savings funnels thru our cap. Whether it can be an adjustment that hits this year's cap or next year's I am not sure. If I get a chance, I will check the CBA. As consideration for his release, it is possible that Daniel gave up some of his guarantee knowing that

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 13 2017, 08:11 PM) *

I have no idea what you're saying.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 14 2017, 04:50 AM) *
I have no idea what you're saying.

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

Hope this helps.
Zero
So this is really the relevant point:
The league allows each team to designate up to two players per year as a June 1 cut for cap purposes prior to June 1. It’s the one concession that was given to the players as it allows a player to be cut in March and have time to explore free agency but have his cap hit spread out over two seasons, thus creating more cap space in the current year.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 14 2017, 07:46 AM) *
So this is really the relevant point:

Yep.

In Daniel's case, he has $2M of signing bonus left. If they cal him a June 1st cut, only this year's portion hits the cap ($1M).

If they don't, then all of the remaining SB hit's the cap this year, ($2M).

He only had a small SB left. You can see how if we cut someone with a large outstanding (unamortized) signing bonus, how if could be very effective at delaying the cap hit to next year.
nephillymike
It looks like any credit for not having to pay Daniel's guarantee because he signed elsewhere won't happen until next cap year:

(iv) Credit for Salary Forfeited or Refunded. In the event that a Club
receives a refund from the player of any previously-paid Salary, or the Club fails to pay
any previously allocated portion of a signing bonus (including any amount treated as
signing bonus), such amount as has previously been included in Team Salary shall be
credited to the Club’s Team Salary for the next League Year.
For purposes of this Subsection,
to the extent that they constitute reimbursement for previously paid Salary,
insurance proceeds received by a Team as beneficiary to cover the player’s inability to
perform services required by his Player Contract shall be deemed a “refund from the
player” if (a) the Club or the player purchased the policy (cool.gif the amounts covered by the
policy are so specified in the Player Contract; and © the policy is made available for
inspection upon request by the NFL or the NFLPA.

That's the only thing I could find in the CBA.

However, as was said before, if Daniel lowered his guarantee before he left as a change in his contract, then it would seem that the amount of the decrease in the guarantee would count for this year, thus lowering his dead money immediately and the rest of the adjustment for signing with someone else would happen next year.

Meh. C'est la vie.
Zero
I'm curious to see what Roseman and Daniel agreed to. If he actually did ask for his release instead of the other way around it would give the Eagles the opportunity to ask him to give something up.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 14 2017, 10:50 AM) *
I'm curious to see what Roseman and Daniel agreed to. If he actually did ask for his release instead of the other way around it would give the Eagles the opportunity to ask him to give something up.

Conjecture from some is either he agreed to the right of offset or agreed to take less of a guarantee expecting income other places.

The place to find it on OTC and SPOTRAC, is in the dead cap assigned to him initially and to see how that changes once he signs elsewhere.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 14 2017, 11:50 AM) *

The Eagles only leverage is if Daniel is delusional enough to think he is an actual starter.......otherwise they have none. My guess is he asked to be released as a favor from the friend he has been stealing from. Moving to Foles is not really that much cheaper so it was really saying "Chase, ummm, you suck" The Foles Guaranteed money is similar to Daniel.
Joegrane
Maybe he just wants a better opportunity to get some playing time. If he is #2 behind an injury prone veteran, he'll likely get some PT.

When he originally signed here he was backing up the injury prone Sam B with the chance that the Eagles would move on from him. They were talking about drafting a QB but it was more likely to be some one outside of the Top 10 picks, not someone likely to start on day 1. So again he saw an opportunity to get some PT while the rookie developed.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 14 2017, 03:32 PM) *
The Eagles only leverage is if Daniel is delusional enough to think he is an actual starter.......otherwise they have none. My guess is he asked to be released as a favor from the friend he has been stealing from. Moving to Foles is not really that much cheaper so it was really saying "Chase, ummm, you suck" The Foles Guaranteed money is similar to Daniel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.