Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keeping an eye on the cap and how we can make it work
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/

As of now, we have $730K available

BEFORE Wiz contract is finalized and included
BEFORE rookie pool allocation
BEFORE setting aside money for Jeffery earning his NLTBE bonuses

I have a few ideas, but I will wait until Wiz's numbers are posted and then see where we are, otherwise I'm shooting at a moving target.

FWIW, it looks like they may need to make cuts to fit Wiz's #'s under the cap, unless it isn't what was reported.

Stay tuned.
Eyrie
I'd ink in the $4m saving for Mathews but that still leaves us $2m short for the rookies, let alone anything else. Cutting Agholar or Green-Beckham would help.

I'm surprised that Kendricks survived the cut off for his guarantee. We could have done with that cap space.
Joegrane
Cutting DGB would help the cap but I think cutting NA would actually hurt the cap.
http://overthecap.com/player/nelson-agholor/3868

I hope they keep DGB. I still think he'll be a contributor, maybe even be a solid #2 in time.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 12 2017, 02:02 PM) *
I'd ink in the $4m saving for Mathews but that still leaves us $2m short for the rookies, let alone anything else. Cutting Agholar or Green-Beckham would help.

I'm surprised that Kendricks survived the cut off for his guarantee. We could have done with that cap space.

nephillymike
Let's see:

Using OTC as the starting point for available cap since Wiz is in there as is Gratz.

Starting Available Cap = 3.065M
Less Rookie Pool Allocation = (6.843M)
Add Back Cuts for Rookies = +4.320M (I used a more realistic $540K per cut x 8 draft picks)
Balance After Rookie Signing = 0.542M
When Cleared Cut RB Mathews = +4.000M

Balance Before Additional Moves = +4.542M
Alshon Jeffery Easy Incentives = (4.500M)
Remaining Balance = $42,000 jumpclap.gif jumpclap.gif jumpclap.gif

Never a doubt!!

Unless Howie has a trick up his sleeve, I am baffled by allowing Kendricks to have about 4.35M of his 2017 guaranteed yesterday. If I understand how the options work with guaranteed salary, I think this 4.35M reduces the value we save by cutting him as a regular cut or June 1st cut.

Here's the cap savings by option as I understand them for moving Kelce or Kendricks

Option...............Kendricks......Kelce
Regular Cut.........(2.55M)......3.80M
June 1st Cut........0.65M........5.00M
Trade...................1.8M..........3.80M

Kendricks cut options used to be 1.8M savings on regular cut, 5.0M on June 1st designation cut. That's how I understand it with the guarantee. If anyone finds differently, it would be good to know.

Aside from those two above, we have VERY limited options for cuts to free up cap room. Keep in mind, that the cost for the replacement needs to be considered. If you assume a low 540K salary to replace the guy, net that from these savings.

Barbre = 1.8M (maybe)
R. Brooks = 1.6M (doubtful given our CB situation)
M. Smith = 1.5M (maybe, but he showed signed of a not horrible backup)
Celek = 1.0M (maybe if they get Howard in the draft, otherwise bad PR)
Daniel = 1.0M (not feasible given that a replacement would cost more. Also, 3rd string Murray signed elsewhere)
DGB = 0.9M (he or Agholar go IMO)
Tobin = 0.85M (maybe)
D. Thomas = 0.80M (who is this guy? Maybe, I guess)

Now, I have a MikeyNumbers trick that I think most should be OK with.

We can restructure J. Peters contract by reclassifying his salary as signing bonus. He is signed through 2018. If we do this, we make 4.85M available. Or we can extend his contract for another year, into 2019. Doing that wil make 7.76M available. Of course, if he doesn't play in 2018 or 2019, we'll have some dead money, but it is a good short term fix if needed.

Unless Howie has something up his sleeve that I am not seeing, we have some real cap issues for the rest of this year.

If I'm not mistaken, we need cap room to be able to IR guys if needed. It is huge if we can't do that.

I have faith in Don Howie's knowledge of the cap and his ability to make trades. We need him to come up big in this jam. The Kendrick thing really has me concerned. Did he misplay his hand? If he is only going to play 20% of the plays, there is NO WAY, we can pay him this much. We may be forced to give him away for a 7th round pick, just to get the cap relief!!

Sad to say, I have no magic formula in the short term. We are in unchartered territory from what I see.
Zero
He has to have an agreement for a Kendricks trade that has a trigger date for some reason. Either that, or Schwartz has a plan for the player and there needs to be other cuts, renegotiations or extensions in the works.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 13 2017, 04:52 AM) *
He has to have an agreement for a Kendricks trade that has a trigger date for some reason. Either that, or Schwartz has a plan for the player and there needs to be other cuts, renegotiations or extensions in the works.

Even the extension or restructure options appear very limited. With salaries that are guaranteed and dead money that exceeds the salaries saved, there just aren't many options.

Does he do a salary dump to CLE, whereby we take a bad contract, trade it to CLE or another cap rich team, and give them a draft pick for their troubles?

Seems unhowieish.
Reality Fan
Heard it explained well on the radio tonight....Matthews gets cut in june when he passes his physical....if they cut him now they pay over 1 million to him and save his cap space....if they cut him after the physical they save his cap space and pay nothing. Same goes for Ron Brooks.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 13 2017, 09:30 PM) *
Heard it explained well on the radio tonight....Matthews gets cut in june when he passes his physical....if they cut him now they pay over 1 million to him and save his cap space....if they cut him after the physical they save his cap space and pay nothing. Same goes for Ron Brooks.

True.

I saw that in an article last week.

I don't think they cut Brooks,do you?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 13 2017, 10:38 PM) *
True.

I saw that in an article last week.

I don't think they cut Brooks,do you?

Yes...as soon as he is healthy
Joegrane
Why do you think they will cut Brooks? They need someone to play CB!

If they select two CBs in the first three rounds they'll still need a slot CB and some depth. Don't they want any veterans for mentoring?

N Carroll is no longer an option since he'll be in Dallas--got an obscene contract for such a mediocre performer.

Mills could be the Slot CB but who do you have for depth?

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 13 2017, 09:39 PM) *
Yes...as soon as he is healthy

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 13 2017, 11:34 PM) *
Why do you think they will cut Brooks? They need someone to play CB!

If they select two CBs in the first three rounds they'll still need a slot CB and some depth. Don't they want any veterans for mentoring?

N Carroll is no longer an option since he'll be in Dallas--got an obscene contract for such a mediocre performer.

Mills could be the Slot CB but who do you have for depth?

Grimes and Smith....2 rookies..... and a journeyman.....Brooks is coming off an ACL...not a great thing for a CB
Joegrane
So do you think almost one full year of recovery is not enough for a CB coming off an ACL?

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 13 2017, 11:49 PM) *
Grimes and Smith....2 rookies..... and a journeyman.....Brooks is coming off an ACL...not a great thing for a CB

nephillymike
Speaking of injuries and making CB's cut material, do you guys draft CB Sidney Jones at all, in any round?

He blew Out his Achilles in his pro day last week.

For me, I don't. Too many Ryan Howard memories of what an Achilles injury can do.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 14 2017, 04:53 PM) *
Speaking of injuries and making CB's cut material, do you guys draft CB Sidney Jones at all, in any round?

He blew Out his Achilles in his pro day last week.

For me, I don't. Too many Ryan Howard memories of what an Achilles injury can do.

I'd take him in round 3 and put him on IR for 2017.

He'll be there at #43 but that's just too early given the injury. I'm not sure he'll last until our third round pick as another team is likely to take the same risk I'm advocating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.