Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jeffrey is a 9.5M cap hit
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
They may end up paying him 14M, but for now only 9.5 goes to cap this year...interesting play by Howie.
I am sure most of the incentives are relatively easy to achieve, but it will require him to be on the field to do it.
Nice way to hedge the bet on him.
Eyrie
Shades of the old idea of Haucking money from one year's cap to the next, albeit this time it's because we don't have the current cap room rather than pretending we've spent it.
Reality Fan
If the incentives are easily reached they apparently must be counted against the cap so any cap relief would only be gained if if he does not reach the filed and that savings would be reached at that time. It does protect some of the money in case he gets suspended again.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 11 2017, 12:14 PM) *
If the incentives are easily reached they apparently must be counted against the cap so any cap relief would only be gained if if he does not reach the filed and that savings would be reached at that time. It does protect some of the money in case he gets suspended again.

Actually, from what I read, any incentives earned can be moved to next year's cap, so he worked it that way to ease the hit on this year's cap.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 11 2017, 12:20 PM) *
Actually, from what I read, any incentives earned can be moved to next year's cap, so he worked it that way to ease the hit on this year's cap.

LTBE incentives i.e. catches, games etc count against this years cap as long as the player achieved close to or more the previous year.

http://www.thefootballeducator.com/sports-...act-incentives/
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 11 2017, 12:30 PM) *
LTBE incentives i.e. catches, games etc count against this years cap as long as the player achieved close to or more the previous year.

http://www.thefootballeducator.com/sports-...act-incentives/

If the player didn't earn it in the prior year, it is not likely to be earned and not counted against the teams cap until it is earned.

What happened here is they have a few easy incentives to reach if he plays a full year but with him missing so much time last year he didn't reach them last year, thus they're NLTBE this year, until he hopefully reaches them in Nov-Dec. If he does, the cap hit happens then.

A good move to protect against injury and suspension and to buy time to make cap space.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 11 2017, 02:49 PM) *
If the player didn't earn it in the prior year, it is not likely to be earned and not counted against the teams cap until it is earned.

What happened here is they have a few easy incentives to reach if he plays a full year but with him missing so much time last year he didn't reach them last year, thus they're NLTBE this year, until he hopefully reaches them in Nov-Dec. If he does, the cap hit happens then.

A good move to protect against injury and suspension and to buy time to make cap space.

So until we know what the incentives are we have no idea if they qualify but considering he played in 12 games and had 52 catches and over 800 yards it is not a stretch to assume his agent set those as the baseline. Or are you saying that the "top FA WR" had to go begging for offers and settled for whatever the Eagles were going to offer? My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the incentives are pretty reasonable.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 11 2017, 03:08 PM) *
So until we know what the incentives are we have no idea if they qualify but considering he played in 12 games and had 52 catches and over 800 yards it is not a stretch to assume his agent set those as the baseline. Or are you saying that the "top FA WR" had to go begging for offers and settled for whatever the Eagles were going to offer? My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the incentives are pretty reasonable.

Two things:

1. The fact that they currently are not counted in the cap means they are defined as NLTBE.

2. My guess is they are very attainable. I'd go out on a limb and say it could read as easy as this- "if he plays in 13 games or catches 53 passes or has 801 receiving yards" the bonus is earned. Or could be as hard as dividing them up and making each of the three their own incentive. I don't think they increased the numbers much. Maybe they did and made the bonus a tiered depending on how much he exceeds them.

Hopefully that's a problem for November.

Excuse me, I'm pretty busy. Howie and I have $730,000 of cap room in our pocket and we're going FA shopping! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.