Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torrey Smith an Eagle
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Three-year contract worth $15 million.

During his six-year career, Smith has totaled 266 catches for 4,521 yards and 37 touchdowns. He has also averaged 17 yards per reception in his career. Since entering the NFL in 2011, Smith has 25 receptions of 40-plus yards.

Linc
The Franchise
Awesome deal. We won't be drafting a WR at #14 now. If we can get Ertz to stop underachieving so damn much, Wentz could have a great year.
D Rock
Agreed. Good deal. Didn't over-pay.

Now C'Mon Ertz. Do something. Finally.
Pila
Marginal player, isn't he?

I guess he's better than future HOF'er Nelson Agholor... *hmpf*
Joegrane
This is not exciting but it is okay.

Howie hopefully is buying low. TS is coming off a bad year but was playing for a bad team. Maybe in a better environment he will once again be a solid #1 WR.

Nelson Agholor ranks 118th out of 119 wide receivers graded by @PFF. (119 is … Torrey Smith)

PFF grades aren’t everything (see: Malcolm Jenkins having bad PFF grades before coming to the Eagles), but I find this too funny not to bring up.

It must be noted how Smith had to deal with really bad quarterback play in San Francisco over the past few years. Smith posted some of the best numbers of his career with Joe Flacco
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/3/...sco-joe-douglas

At age 28 he should have plenty left in the tank. With the depth the Eagles have, they should be able to keep TS fresh and explosive in the 4th Qt. Hopefully the injury problems of last year are behind him.

Based on his last few years and the number of weapons in the passing game, I don't expect a 1000 yd season. 50 catches for 700 yds and 15 yd avg is probably more realistic.
http://www.nfl.com/player/torreysmith/2495459/profile

This will take some load off of Ertz and J Matthews. Hopefully it will allow Ertz to stay healthier and give Matthews more realistic performance numbers as he approaches FA.

At least the Eagles now have a pair of real NFL WRs, rather than relying so much on "projects."

I like that it will take pressure off of N Agholor. He won't be a starter. Hopefully NA can be salvaged as a decent backup.

Howie can now forget the WR position in the draft and concentrate on more pressing needs, esp, CBs in a deep CB draft.

This should allow the Eagles to be patient with NA and esp DGB and hopefully develop them into useful WRs. I'm still hopeful that DGB can be a solid #2 WR.

Apparently the lower cost of TS saved cap space for OG/OT A Barbre. I like that very much because it provides another experienced backup OT on a team with the aging J Peters and a Rt OT on the verge of a 2 yr suspension.

It should leave cap space for a decent FA CB.

K Barner apparently is not going to be resigned. Maybe the Eagles hope to draft a RB in round 2- 4 after drafting two CBs in Rd 1-3.

QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 9 2017, 11:59 AM) *
Three-year contract worth $15 million.

Zero
From what I'm hearing, if he's coached right and is paired with a viable #1 he can be an asset. Supposed to have small hands but good guy and hard worker. Had speed but maybe slowed a tad. If they can add that true #1 like Jeffrey, Cooks or Pryor, they'll be good and should be able to concentrate on CB in the early rounds. But I have to wonder about two rookie CBs playing against Beckham and Marshall.
D Rock
We got Alshon too!
Zero
And Chance Warmack.
The Franchise
A couple days ago our WR corps was an embarrasment.

Now, it's looking pretty damn good. Wentz has to be thrilled.

JeeQ
Huge upgrades to the WR position today gentlemen... we don't even need to draft one now.
Zero
Disagree. If Jeffrey doesn't pan out they'll need someone to take his place, and a rookie WR is mostly learning. If he succeeds he'll probably be too expensive for a cap strapped team.
Joegrane
If this is the last year for Peters, Kelce, Sproles, Celek and Daniels we won't be cap strapped next year. We also won't have Bradford's dead money. Due to poor drafts, there won't be many big ticket Eagle FAs to sign either.

I suppose they hope they have the young WRs in development already on the team--DGB and NA.

This has the appearance of a team looking to make one last playoff push before retooling the offense. They are rolling the dice on older or injury prone players--Peters, Jeffreys, T Smith, Kelce, Sproles, Celek, maybe Charles or Matthews at RB.

If they miraculously stay healthy, they'll be quite a potent offense. However, with the apparent loss of B Logan and no veteran outslde CBs, the offense will need to be potent.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 9 2017, 06:49 PM) *
Disagree. If Jeffrey doesn't pan out they'll need someone to take his place, and a rookie WR is mostly learning. If he succeeds he'll probably be too expensive for a cap strapped team.
nephillymike
did anyone notice the note in the article about how of the 119 WR's ranked by PFF, Agholar was 118 and Smith was 119!

Ouch!

We'll see.

Not impressed by this pick up.

They did say on the radio that it was essentially a one year deal.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 9 2017, 09:34 PM) *
did anyone notice the note in the article about how of the 119 WR's ranked by PFF, Agholar was 118 and Smith was 119!

Ouch!

We'll see.

Not impressed by this pick up.

They did say on the radio that it was essentially a one year deal.

I thought it was a great deal....the Niners were a clusterfuck for the last 2 years with no real QB
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 9 2017, 09:47 PM) *
I thought it was a great deal....the Niners were a clusterfuck for the last 2 years with no real QB
Not only that, but I remember reading somewhere that a player commented about the clusterfuck the whole organization was, especially coaching.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.