Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Defense wins championships
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
GroundedBird
there... Having said that, it sure would be nice to have some receivers stretch the field and have Dalvin Cook run between tackles.

Part of me thinks that we're two years away and why not get Cook if he's there at 14. It would be fun watching them while the defense takes shape.

The other part of me wonders... Is Smallwood a version of Cook? Maybe not quite as good but close enough. I'm thinking yes. He sat most of the year then got an injury. I think he could be a good back.

Anyone else think Smallwood is good?

If so we can use the draft to get a really good defense.

Eyrie
I like Smallwood based on what I saw last year.

I'd look to add a complimentary back in rounds 3 or 4 to pair with him for the next few years.
Joegrane
From the first day I looked at his tape till today I think Smallwood is a guy who is going to take what his O Line gives him. He hits the hole fast, won't make many people miss and won't break many tackles. He seems to be an okay backup. He still has to show me he can handle blitz pickup. I don't want the ball in his hands on 3rd and short.

QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Mar 7 2017, 10:07 AM) *
there... Having said that, it sure would be nice to have some receivers stretch the field and have Dalvin Cook run between tackles.

Part of me thinks that we're two years away and why not get Cook if he's there at 14. It would be fun watching them while the defense takes shape.

The other part of me wonders... Is Smallwood a version of Cook? Maybe not quite as good but close enough. I'm thinking yes. He sat most of the year then got an injury. I think he could be a good back.

Anyone else think Smallwood is good?

If so we can use the draft to get a really good defense.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 7 2017, 05:20 PM) *
From the first day I looked at his tape till today I think Smallwood is a guy who is going to take what his O Line gives him. He hits the hole fast, won't make many people miss and won't break many tackles. He seems to be an okay backup. He still has to show me he can handle blitz pickup. I don't want the ball in his hands on 3rd and short.

Amen......we tend to overhype ordinary guys in hopes that they will become extraordinary....Smallwood is a yawner..maybe he transforms into Westbrook with a full offseason in the gym and film but I don't see it......
Joegrane
Westbook!? No way. Maybe a less powerful Correll Buckhalter, but with softer hands.

For those who don't remember him.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/108095-...ate-team-player
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profil...buckhalter.html

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 7 2017, 05:45 PM) *
Amen......we tend to overhype ordinary guys in hopes that they will become extraordinary....Smallwood is a yawner..maybe he transforms into Westbrook with a full offseason in the gym and film but I don't see it......

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 7 2017, 05:45 PM) *

One surprise was how rarely the threw him the ball.

His game tape from college showed a rather ordinary runner, but a skilled receiver out of the backfield with decent open space moves.
Joegrane
I strongly agree. I thought they would often use him as a receiver.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 7 2017, 08:09 PM) *
One surprise was how rarely the threw him the ball.

His game tape from college showed a rather ordinary runner, but a skilled receiver out of the backfield with decent open space moves.

Eyrie
I don't believe that anyone expects Smallwood to be the next Westbrook or McCoy, but he has shown enough that he can be expected to be part of a solid rotation with another back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.