Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How about the rumor that Justin Matthews is on the block?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I was a little surprised at that.

You maybe get a 3rd for him in a trade and even if you let him play out the string here, you'll get a comp pick that will be a 4th (contingent on our other adds and losses)

I hold onto him.

No sense taking a step back for next year.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 6 2017, 08:12 PM) *
I was a little surprised at that.

You maybe get a 3rd for him in a trade and even if you let him play out the string here, you'll get a comp pick that will be a 4th (contingent on our other adds and losses)

I hold onto him.

No sense taking a step back for next year.

You mean Jordan, right? He would be a solid slot receiver, maybe even a good 2 if you have a true #1 WR.
nephillymike
Yeah, my bad.

Jordan.
The Franchise
He's the closest thing you have to a professional receiver, and a solid #2 if we actually get a WR. Thank God we're dropping $10.6 million on Ertz and Celek this year..... rolleyes.gif
Joegrane
I too was surprised and for the same reasons as Birdwatcher listed. Recall the year Cooper had when opposite D Jax. I certainly think Matthews is better then Coop.

Btw, that's one reason I don't want the Eagles to sign P Garcon, esp at his age. Jackson has been inflating Garcon's numbers. Also I don't think he is a good fit for the Eagles needs.

Matthews seems to be a high character guy, solid team mate, etc.

I am struggling to think of even one good reason to move him.

Could it be that they expect the 1st round to play out such that they'll be selecting a WR? In addition they plan to sign a veteran WR who will be a starter. They can't cut NA due to his contract. Maybe they really like DGB's upside and Matthews is not the type of slot and #2 that fits the offensive system, so they are trying to make room for the new additions?

Maybe initial contract talks with Matthews seem unrealistic so they float the trade idea to get a sense for how other teams value him. NO might be doing the same with Cooks.

Actually the best reason I can think of is that Matthews was Chip's guy and so has to be exorcised from Howie's team.

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 6 2017, 08:31 PM) *
You mean Jordan, right? He would be a solid slot receiver, maybe even a good 2 if you have a true #1 WR.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 6 2017, 10:57 PM) *
I too was surprised and for the same reasons as Birdwatcher listed. Recall the year Cooper had when opposite D Jax. I certainly think Matthews is better then Coop.

Btw, that's one reason I don't want the Eagles to sign P Garcon, esp at his age. Jackson has been inflating Garcon's numbers. Also I don't think he is a good fit for the Eagles needs.

Matthews seems to be a high character guy, solid team mate, etc.

I am struggling to think of even one good reason to move him.

Could it be that they expect the 1st round to play out such that they'll be selecting a WR? In addition they plan to sign a veteran WR who will be a starter. They can't cut NA due to his contract. Maybe they really like DGB's upside and Matthews is not the type of slot and #2 that fits the offensive system, so they are trying to make room for the new additions?

Maybe initial contract talks with Matthews seem unrealistic so they float the trade idea to get a sense for how other teams value him. NO might be doing the same with Cooks.

Actually the best reason I can think of is that Matthews was Chip's guy and so has to be exorcised from Howie's team.

It may be what you said about contract talks. They need two starting WRs, and that's with Matthews in the slot. To me, no sense trading him now. Let it play out.
Reality Fan
Garcon is only going to be 31 this season and is a solid number 2......oddly enough his best season was without Jackson and he is coming off a great year. He won't be cheap either.

I think the problem with Matthews is that he wants number 1 money but is ineffective out of the slot.
Zero
Listening to some bits and pieces that we hear occasionally, I get the sense that Pederson is OK with Matthews but would rather have a smaller, quicker guy in the slot. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft one of those guys in the mid or later rounds.
Zero
Here's a good breakdown of Matthews potential deal:
Year 1: $4.6 million ($1.6 million existing + $3 million prorated new bonus)
Year 2: $9.0 million ($6.0 million salary guaranteed salary + $3 million prorated bonus)
Year 3: $9.0 million ($6.0 million salary w/ $3.0 million of it guaranteed + $3.0 million prorated bonus)
Year 4: $12.0 million ($9.0 million salary + $3.0 million in prorated salary.

The cap hit/dead money splits:

Year 1: $4.6/$21.5
Year 2: $9.0/$15.0
Year 3: $9.0/$6.0
Year 4: $12.0/$3.0

Joegrane
I'm surprised at those numbers. I like Matthews but I would not extend him at those numbers. I probably would let him get to free agency.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 7 2017, 06:37 AM) *
Here's a good breakdown of Matthews potential deal:[indent][/indent]

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.