Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Yes/No/Maybe Free Agent List
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
WR
Yes= Pryor, Stills
No= Jeffrey, Britt, Floyd, Patterson, Woods, LaFell, Ginn
Maybe = Jackson, Garçon, Wright

CB
Yes = Bouye, Gilmore, Ryan, Hyde, Kirkpatrick, Butler
No = Carr, Carroll, Moore
Maybe= Amakumara, Claiborne, Munnerlyn

RB
Yes = L. Murray, Burkhead
No = Peterson, Lacy, Charles, Michael, Williams
Maybe = Blount, Woodhead

Some of the no's are priced based.
D Rock
I wouldn't go FA for RB. Too many in the draft that will come at pennies on the dollar.

nephillymike
Well, I and most others didn't want Jeffrey.

However, I think opinions may have been different if they knew it was for one year.

But there is a little revisionism going on in the media.

I would say the media and callers were about 4-1 against signing him, until we signed him!!

The popular mantra, don't spend a shit load on a top guy, we need to build in the draft and nurture for the slow build to a winner.

A one year contract doesn't fit with someone to grow with Wentz long term.

That being said, I'm OK with it. At the end of the day, I have a valid top ten WR, and another WR who has some speed to stretch the D, and is better than our 4th and 5th WR, FOR ONE YEAR.

I am more of a one year guy than most, so I'm psyched for next year. Get me Logan Ryan and I'm celebrating big time!!

Let the 2018 season be the worry of the doom and gloom cap armageddonists!!

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 9 2017, 09:47 PM) *
Well, I and most others didn't want Jeffrey.

However, I think opinions may have been different if they knew it was for one year.

But there is a little revisionism going on in the media.

I would say the media and callers were about 4-1 against signing him, until we signed him!!

The popular mantra, don't spend a shit load on a top guy, we need to build in the draft and nurture for the slow build to a winner.

A one year contract doesn't fit with someone to grow with Wentz long term.

That being said, I'm OK with it. At the end of the day, I have a valid top ten WR, and another WR who has some speed to stretch the D, and is better than our 4th and 5th WR, FOR ONE YEAR.

I am more of a one year guy than most, so I'm psyched for next year. Get me Logan Ryan and I'm celebrating big time!!

Let the 2018 season be the worry of the doom and gloom cap armageddonists!!

Spending 19 million at WR with all of the other needs is not too exciting.....though I have not seen the actual cap hit for Smith yet
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 9 2017, 09:51 PM) *
Spending 19 million at WR with all of the other needs is not too exciting.....though I have not seen the actual cap hit for Smith yet

I don't understand this reasoning. The most important position on the team is QB and it's not frivolous to say that the most important position for the QB is WR and that WR was the least effective position on the team. Historically, it seems there are quite a few QBs who have potential that is ruined because of the surrounding players and how they're used. The Eagles' OL, TEs and RBs are adequate, the need was WR. Smith can be cut June 1 and only hit the cap for $500,000, Jeffery is a one year prove it deal, I'm guessing intended to help Wentz's development. I read your comment as essentially saying Wentz's development isn't that critical. I think the team did exactly what they needed to do.
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 10 2017, 12:32 PM) *
I don't understand this reasoning. The most important position on the team is QB and it's not frivolous to say that the most important position for the QB is WR and that WR was the least effective position on the team. Historically, it seems there are quite a few QBs who have potential that is ruined because of the surrounding players and how they're used. The Eagles' OL, TEs and RBs are adequate, the need was WR. Smith can be cut June 1 and only hit the cap for $500,000, Jeffery is a one year prove it deal, I'm guessing intended to help Wentz's development. I read your comment as essentially saying Wentz's development isn't that critical. I think the team did exactly what they needed to do.

Agreed.

You know RF. That grumpy bastard is going to bitch regardless. It's what he does.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 10 2017, 10:10 AM) *
Agreed.

You know RF. That grumpy bastard is going to bitch regardless. It's what he does.

In Jeffrey they got something sorely lacking, a guy who can catch the ball, one drop in 94 targets last season. In Smith they got the fast deep threat they lacked, he did well with Flacco, his stint in SF notwithstanding. Even if these guys are just a one year rental, giving Wentz outside weapons can only help his development, and if they develop a strong chemistry they will both have an incentive to stay beyond this year. If not, others might want to come here next year. I heard it was Jeffrey who came to them at the last minute wanting to play here, when has that happened since 5 was a top tier QB? I am cautiously optimistic about this turn of events.
Joegrane
The Eagles during most of the McNabb era showed that you can be a playoff team without exceptional WRs.

I think a quality O Line is more important than WRs.

CW looked pretty good early in the season when he had a healthy O Line even though he had no #1 or #2 WR.

Most of what they did yesterday was about making a playoff push this year without hand cuffing them for the future. After this year they could be without Pro Bowl caliber players--Sproles, Peters, Kelce, plus Celek and one or both of the newly signed WRs.

They have left themselves in a situation where they have a couple of positions of desperate need in the draft--CB and RB, probably DT. They no longer need to draft a WR or OG.

The last time the Eagles seemed desperate to find someone high in the draft at a particular position they ended up with Marcus Smith!

Hopefully the depth at CB in this draft will allow them to avoid a similar mess.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 10 2017, 06:32 AM) *
I don't understand this reasoning. The most important position on the team is QB and it's not frivolous to say that the most important position for the QB is WR...

I think the team did exactly what they needed to do.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 10 2017, 04:47 PM) *
The Eagles during most of the McNabb era showed that you can be a playoff team without exceptional WRs.

CW looked pretty good early in the season when he had a healthy O Line even though he had no #1 or #2 WR.

Most of what they did yesterday was about making a playoff push this year without hand cuffing them for the future. After this year they could be without Pro Bowl caliber players--Sproles, Peters, Kelce, plus Celek and one or both of the newly signed WRs.

They have left themselves in a situation where they have a couple of positions of desperate need in the draft--CB and RB, probably DT. They no longer need to draft a WR or OG.

We've got a pretty decent OL, which is the key to letting a young QB develop as opposed to running for his life.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 10 2017, 10:10 AM) *
Agreed.

Of course dumbass. Imagine not getting excited about spending 14 million of limited cap space on a guy who missed a third of the last 2 seasons to injury and suspension just so he can position himself to cash in. If you were ny such a dumbass you would see I like the smith signing. I think with their cap position they should either gamble all he way on Jeffries or stay away. It is clear they plan on leaving their defense out on a limb.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 10 2017, 06:32 AM) *

What is hard to understand? I am not excited to have the plan to be winning shootouts because you hope Wentz will throw a ton but our defense is buttressed by rookies and can't stop anyone. Both corners gone. Logan likely gone. Barwin gone. That is my thinking. Crippling your defense to try to make your choice at QB look correct seems silly. If he s that good he doesn't need expensive guys. Just decent ones. You like gong all in on me side of he ball. I don't. Can you understand that. Can you understand that the ther team plays offense too and we need t actually prevent them from scoring?

And smiths cap hit is 5 million. If he gets cut before the season they. Oh garantee 500 k. I suggest you read the details.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2017, 03:18 PM) *
What is hard to understand? I am not excited to have the plan to be winning shootouts because you hope Wentz will throw a ton but our defense is buttressed by rookies and can't stop anyone. Both corners gone. Logan likely gone. Barwin gone. That is my thinking. Crippling your defense to try to make your choice at QB look correct seems silly. If he s that good he doesn't need expensive guys. Just decent ones. You like gong all in on me side of he ball. I don't. Can you understand that. Can you understand that the ther team plays offense too and we need t actually prevent them from scoring?

And smiths cap hit is 5 million. If he gets cut before the season they. Oh garantee 500 k. I suggest you read the details.

Don't go getting all insulted on me now. Calm down, have a beer.

According to Overthecap.com if Smith is cut post June 1, dead money is $500,000 and cap savings are $4,375,000. If my source is wrong then I'm wrong but I did check. Now it's your turn to link to your details.

Don't worry about being right, just pay attention. I didn't say you were wrong I said I didn't understand. See the difference? It's not about making Wentz look correct, whatever that means, but about supporting him and trying to avoid his demise. Smith wasn't expensive and Jeffery is a one year deal. If your argument is that Britt or someone like him would have been a better option than Jeffery, I wouldn't disagree but you didn't say that.
Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2017, 09:18 PM) *

I think the investment is worth it if developing your young QB is important.

Think of the success the offense had with no respectable skill position outside of Sproles.

This means defenses were able to focus on 'negative' plays behind the line of scrimmage, and still there was enough success. Getting respectable playmakers that will punish defenses playing with the short field mentality is critical for the team.

I really don't think enough credit is being given to Pederson as an offensive tactician. I think having real threats on the outside is going to have a huge impact.

We still need corners, of course. But I do think that adding legitimate receivers maximize the overall impact on the team's fortunes.

From that perspective, these were incredibly efficient signings in the overall improvement of the team'sfortunes.
D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 10 2017, 05:47 PM) *

Prior to that shit show we saw last season, I would have agreed with this.

Perhaps you don't "need "exceptional WRs."

But you certainly do need credible WRs. And we had none.

Our O-line will be fine provided JP stays healthy.

D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2017, 08:50 PM) *
Of course dumbass. Imagine not getting excited about spending 14 million of limited cap space on a guy who missed a third of the last 2 seasons to injury and suspension just so he can position himself to cash in. If you were ny such a dumbass you would see I like the smith signing. I think with their cap position they should either gamble all he way on Jeffries or stay away. It is clear they plan on leaving their defense out on a limb.

laugh.gif

You act like it's your money they're spending. Grumpy old bastard.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 10 2017, 05:21 PM) *
laugh.gif

You act like it's your money they're spending. Grumpy old bastard.

The funny thing is we are close to the same age.....and I can almost guarantee I still actively play more sports than you...too damn funny....but it keeps your dumpy ass amused....pretty common with little dumpy middle aged guys like you......it is entertaining....

and it is not a matter of money......it is a matter of watching Terrell Pryor sign a 1 year 8 million dollar contract....it is knowing they are going to go on the cheap on defense.....I would love the moves if they could land 2 good players to fill the 5 holes on defense where they are likely losing starters. The issue is that they spent quite a bit on offense and that is good.....sadly they don't have much left to help their defense particularly at CB. I am simply looking at the big picture.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2017, 11:28 PM) *
The funny thing is we are close to the same age.....and I can almost guarantee I still actively play more sports than you...too damn funny....but it keeps your dumpy ass amused....pretty common with little dumpy middle aged guys like you......it is entertaining....

laugh.gif

I seriously doubt it. I'm 6'3" 190 lbs in my late 40s and still run in a weekly hoops league comprised mostly of fellas 15 years my junior.

I also coach my elementary aged kids in basketball, baseball, & softball. I guarantee you, I can run circles around your grumpy old ass.

I'm also significantly better looking. (Guessing here, but your pissy-ass attitude leaves me assuming you're clearly not getting laid enough)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2017, 03:18 PM) *
Was I right about the details? And Birdwatcher posted that Jeffery's contract wasn't as bad as first thought.

Alshon Jeffery's deal w/ Philly: $7.75m signing bonus, $1m base (gtd), $750k workout and $4.5m in incentives for yds, catches, Pro Bowl, etc
Linc ...

C'mon, admit it, Rosey did a decent job of getting receivers for his QB. And now he's saying he may even be able to keep Benny. Smith Total Value: $15,000,000 (avg. $5,000,000/year; $500,000 fully guaranteed)
33rd highest of 255 WR contracts. Here ...

It looks like they'll probably have two rookie starting CBs. That's a concern but they can be helped with pressure. Curry needs to step up and the draft is supposed to be almost as deep with edge rushers as with CBs. 2017 shouldn't be a SB year so it will give all those guys a chance to learn to play. Is 2018 realistic for a legit contender if they have a good draft?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.