Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thank you, Sam Hinkie...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
The single greatest move he made for us was the trade 2 years ago where we sent two unheralded European prospects (who to date, have yet to play an NBA minute) for Sauce Castillo (who is coming on after nearly being hazed out of the association by Boogie Cousins in his rookie year), Carl Landry (vagabond/yet serviceable 4/5 big man with a bloated contract), the rights to swap 1st round picks in 2016 & 17, and Sacto's unprotected 1st rounder in 2019.

This trade borders on rape. And it got A LOT worse (for the Kings) with the Cousins trade to NOLA.

Mikey knows the specific numbers, but generally speaking . . . Sixes fans' wish list for the remainder of the season is "a few more wins for the Lakers, and A LOT of losing for the Kings."

With Boogie being sent away, we're essentially assured that the Kings' pick will be better than ours, and thus . . . become ours. This is a huge win for us. With Rudy Gay's injury, and now, no Boogie . . . the Kings are going to suck balls for the last 30% of the season. With some luck in the lottery ball machine, they could garner us a #1 overall, and this draft's clear prize in Fultz. Were that to happen, I'd pencil us in for a 3-4 seed in next season's playoffs. Assuming of course, relative health for Embiid and Simmons. And, we're looking at a minimum of 2-3 years of the Kings being the bottom of the association's barrel. That unprotected 2019 pick will be worth GOLD!!!

On to the Lakeshow. With Bus the Lesser, and (my favorite name in all of sports) Nick CUPCHECK being victims of a coup with Jeanie and Magic, we may now have a potential trade partner for Jah. Magic loves the kid. Jah will be great in 4 years, when he learns he actually needs to try on defense and the glass. Magic can get him there. He's in need of that sort of tough but credible love. I'd offer them Jah, straight and clean, if they simply remove the top 3 protection on this yr's 1st. Maybe sweeten it w a 2nd, or future protected first. I have no interest in Deangelo or Ingram. I don't think either will amount to a hill of beans.

The future is so bright, the Sixers would be wise to market a line of branded shades.

2 potential pit falls remain...

1. The health of Embiid.
1a. The health of Simmons.
2. Bryan Colangelo. (Something about this guys just screams DOUCHE BAG to me. Nepotism hire, with a 50/50 history that began as a nepotism hire, in a designer suit.).

"The Process" is without compare, the most intreaguing story line in sports today.
nephillymike
You know, I was never a big fan of the process.

Reason being, I did not think it took any GM special skills to pull off.

With the exception of the SAC trade a raping for sure, I thought any hack could pull it off, provided Two things:

The economics of the league were such, that the tv revenues were such to float the team with the drop in attendance.

A fan base, disinterested enough to have the ability to tune out for the tanking years like I was. Just stop watching like so many did. Most of us don't miss an Eagles game, never mind a season or three. A detachable fan base is a must.

However the SAC trade is a fleecing like no other. Kudos to Hinkie for that one!

With all that said, I am very interested now. I've coached ball for years, and the way they move the ball is a coachs dream.

Here's a question D, what position do you play Simmons?

His passing skills are too superior to waste as a PF, but he can't guard the point. Not a good enough shot for SG or SF.

I'm thinking PF.

This is why it would be nice to see him play a bit, see where he fits. Would allow us to sure up our draft strategy.

As far as the trade with LAL you propose, the current odds are 53% that we get that pick anyway. Why trade for something that we have better than even odds of getting any way? I'm intrigued by it, not sold on it.
D Rock
We could debate the relative value of "the Process" till the cows come home, and not get anywhere. Bottom line for me, is that it brought us to the current "here and now." That's a pretty good spot to be in. Consider the Knicks, Nets, Lakers, & Kings who were all pretty much in the same boat as we were after 2012/13. They've done a bit more "winning" than we have, but have nothing to show for it. We weren't going anywhere with MCW or Jrue running the point. We had become a non starter destination for high end free agent talent. Now, I don't think we'll have much trouble attracting free agent pieces, have tons of cap flexibility, serious franchise talent already in place, the makings of a solid 2nd unit, all with a good deal of draft ammo in the near future. Sam really set us up. He fleeced the Lakers too. He was brilliant at taking draft picks in exchange for taking on bloated contracts. Other teams got cap flexibility. We got lottery picks.

And from a fan's perspective, despite the lack of talent that'd been on our roster, Brett Brown has consistently put a tough, try-hard, unselfish, (and dare I say) fun to watch group on the floor for most of the difficult run.

As for Simmons, my own "projections" are based on the handful of summer league games I saw him play in, so subject to change. The x factor for him was, is, and will be his ability to knock down jumpers. Both off the dribble and spot up. If he can do that at an even "competent" level, I think he'll be unstoppable.

When we talk about what spot he plays, I think we're talking defense. On the offensive side, I put the ball in his hands, and try to surround him with other players that spread the floor, hit jumpers, and keep the ball moving at the furious pace Brett likes to play.

On Defense, I'd say he's technically a 4-3. But he could defend the 5 in small ball situations, and even the 2. The way this team is shaping up, I would assume they want to switch everything. That's why I've been so bullish on a guy like Jonathan Isaac who can not only defend 1-5, but also knock down spot up jumpers from anywhere in the gym. I have to laugh at all the mocks that have us taking Dennis Smith who is literally the opposite of what we need. We don't need diminutive, ball dominating, point guards, who can only defend point guards, and struggle without the ball in their hand.

To me, the issue with Simmons is not "where" he plays, but simply a matter of his shooting. None of it will work if defenders back off of him, daring him to shoot the 10-15 footers. We saw some of that in the summer league, and it totally shut down the offense. I've been looking at videos and reading that he's used this injury time to really polish his shot. If he can make teams pay for giving him those shots, we're going to be very good, very soon.

Regarding the Lakers 2017 1st rounder. I would guess the %s for us getting that pick are going to drop precipitously. They had a somewhat ok 1st third of a season, which helped us. But they've fallen back down to earth and currently look like they'll be lucky to win 3-5 more games. I mean Magic just traded away Sweet Lou who was their leading scorer, and front runner for 6th man award. The wheels are falling off in Los Angeles. It looks like a race to the bottom between Brooklynn, LAL, and Kings.

Magic's apparent love for Jahlil could save us though...

nephillymike
Good stuff.

Soion offense

if he can hit the 15 footer, he plays the 3? (Covington to b/up). Can't imagine him getting good enough to be a pure shooter 2.

And if he can't, he plays the 4? (What to do with Ilyasova & Saric)

It seems it would be handy for him to play ten games this year, so we can see what he can do before the draft.

Thoughts on my draft sleeper that nobody has linked to us?

PF Lauri Markkaan, Arizona.

I'm talking if we dip to 8th or higher and Fultz, Monk, Ball, Isaac and Smith are gone. I'll pass on Ntilikina. Fox shows me nothing. Jackson, Tatum and Bridges aren't position fits.

Would you take the big shooter from ARI under these conditions?

nephillymike
Well, one question answered.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694493...o-splitter-more

Ilyasova traded to ATL for a stiff center and a mid second rounder. They may cut the stiff.

The NBA is a weird league. Yet another 2nd rounder and our team just got worse.

I liked the player. Not great, but above average PER, 4th best on the team.

Also, Embiid doubtful for next two games.

The tanking hasn't stopped yet. I'm OK with it for the next 15 games.
Joegrane
I'm not at all surprised at the trade of Ilyasova, esp with the recent play of Saric.

I wonder if getting a backup C was preferred by the Sixers? If they trade both Noel and Okafor, they could use another backup C.

"Splitter—who is a robust interior presence and rim protector with plus-passing skills when healthy—has yet to suit up this season due to calf and hamstring injuries, so taking on his expiring contract was the cost of doing business for the Sixers to grab an extra second-round draft pick. " Bleacherreport

Indeed the tanking has not stopped.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 22 2017, 08:39 PM) *
Well, one question answered.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694493...o-splitter-more

Ilyasova traded to ATL for a stiff center and a mid second rounder. They may cut the stiff.

The NBA is a weird league. Yet another 2nd rounder and our team just got worse.

I liked the player. Not great, but above average PER, 4th best on the team.

Also, Embiid doubtful for next two games.

The tanking hasn't stopped yet. I'm OK with it for the next 15 games.

Joegrane
The Sixers' cache of resources is becoming obscene. Not only does that bode well for the future W-L record, but it also becomes quite inviting for top-tier free agents!

If they draft, a PG or combo guard, steal the LAK pick, keep Embiid on his feet and develop Simmons a little, they'll be attractive to a top tier SG after next season.

I agree about the first two potential pitfalls. #1 is the reason I'd hold onto Noel.

Along with Mike, I'm more concerned about Simmons' development as a shooter. With all of the resources they have--especially a healthy Embiid--they can win without Simmons. Saric can be a solid stretch 4.

However, since Simmons was such a high pick, he is going to get PT. I just don't want his developmental PT to hurt the team.

If he does not have at least a solid mid-range shot he'll become a black hole when someone else drives and kicks to him as the shot clock winds down. We see that now to some extent with McConnell.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 22 2017, 12:47 AM) *
The single greatest move he made for us was the trade 2 years ago where we sent two unheralded European prospects (who to date, have yet to play an NBA minute) for Sauce Castillo (who is coming on ...), Carl Landry (vagabond/yet serviceable 4/5 big man with a bloated contract), the rights to swap 1st round picks in 2016 & 17, and Sacto's unprotected 1st rounder in 2019.

This trade borders on rape. And it got A LOT worse (for the Kings) with the Cousins trade to NOLA.

With Boogie being sent away, we're essentially assured that the Kings' pick will be better than ours, and thus . . . become ours. This is a huge win for us. With Rudy Gay's injury, and now, no Boogie . . . the Kings are going to suck balls for the last 30% of the season. With some luck in the lottery ball machine, they could garner us a #1 overall, and this draft's clear prize in Fultz. Were that to happen, I'd pencil us in for a 3-4 seed in next season's playoffs. Assuming of course, relative health for Embiid and Simmons. And, we're looking at a minimum of 2-3 years of the Kings being the bottom of the association's barrel. That unprotected 2019 pick will be worth GOLD!!!

The future is so bright, ...

2 potential pit falls remain...

1. The health of Embiid.
1a. The health of Simmons.
2. Bryan Colangelo. (Something about this guys just screams DOUCHE BAG to me. Nepotism hire, with a 50/50 history that began as a nepotism hire, in a designer suit.).

"The Process" is without compare, the most intreaguing story line in sports today.

D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 23 2017, 01:23 AM) *
Good stuff.

Soion offense

if he can hit the 15 footer, he plays the 3? (Covington to b/up). Can't imagine him getting good enough to be a pure shooter 2.

And if he can't, he plays the 4? (What to do with Ilyasova & Saric)

It seems it would be handy for him to play ten games this year, so we can see what he can do before the draft.

Thoughts on my draft sleeper that nobody has linked to us?

PF Lauri Markkaan, Arizona.

I'm talking if we dip to 8th or higher and Fultz, Monk, Ball, Isaac and Smith are gone. I'll pass on Ntilikina. Fox shows me nothing. Jackson, Tatum and Bridges aren't position fits.

Would you take the big shooter from ARI under these conditions?

Again, positional definitions typically apply only in the sense of who a player can (or can't) defend. On offense, he's going to run the point.

I've been reading a lot about Markkaan over the past week. I've not looked at video, but I see how he could be an excellent stretch 4 for us. We saw how Illyasova helped space the floor with Embiid down low. If we draft later than 8, I'd seriously consider him.
D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 23 2017, 04:01 AM) *
I'm not at all surprised at the trade of Ilyasova, esp with the recent play of Saric.

I wonder if getting a backup C was preferred by the Sixers? If they trade both Noel and Okafor, they could use another backup C.

"Splitter—who is a robust interior presence and rim protector with plus-passing skills when healthy—has yet to suit up this season due to calf and hamstring injuries, so taking on his expiring contract was the cost of doing business for the Sixers to grab an extra second-round draft pick. " Bleacherreport

Indeed the tanking has not stopped.

Splitter was about matching the contracts. He's a stiff with no future here. Richaun Holmes is our backup 5 (assuming we trade both Jah and Nerlens).

I really liked Illyasova, and the veteran leadership he brought to this young team. I've been constantly astounded how "the experts" dismissed his performance while here. Sure, he came down to earth the past few weeks, but he came out of the gates blazing hot when he came here. And we don't miss Jerami Grant at all.

Moving him says to me that they had no intention of resigning him this off season. I've got no great problem with letting him go, but I personally thought Dario was better as a backup Simmons, leading the 2nd unit. Dario looks to me, to be what I call a "try-hard guy." I don't think he'll get much more explosive or athletic. My "eye test" tells me he's a bit less athletic than what would be ideal for us as a starter. Dario is similar to Simmons in the realm of vision, passing ability, and ball handling. If he had half of Ben's speed, agility, and athleticism ... he'd be a starter. But to my eyes, he offers about 10% of what Ben does athletically.
D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 23 2017, 04:25 AM) *
The Sixers' cache of resources is becoming obscene. Not only does that bode well for the future W-L record, but it also becomes quite inviting for top-tier free agents!

If they draft, a PG or combo guard, steal the LAK pick, keep Embiid on his feet and develop Simmons a little, they'll be attractive to a top tier SG after next season.

I agree about the first two potential pitfalls. #1 is the reason I'd hold onto Noel.

Along with Mike, I'm more concerned about Simmons' development as a shooter. With all of the resources they have--especially a healthy Embiid--they can win without Simmons. Saric can be a solid stretch 4.

However, since Simmons was such a high pick, he is going to get PT. I just don't want his developmental PT to hurt the team.

If he does not have at least a solid mid-range shot he'll become a black hole when someone else drives and kicks to him as the shot clock winds down. We see that now to some extent with McConnell.

We've got to move on from thinking of Ben Simmons as a 4 in every way except that he can capably defend opposing 4s. He is not our 4. He will be a facilitator and a traditional point guard for us on the offensive end. Obviously, he'll be better if the shot is true, but even if it takes some time for that to fully develope, he wont be the 1st PG with a questionable shot. His greatest contribution offensively, will come when leading the offense after grabbing a defensive board. In the half court, he'll be the guy with the ball in his hand late in the clock, and be the guy kicking out or dishing to the open shooter. His ball handling, and shot creating is on par with any point guard in this year's draft. That's why we'll draft a guy who thrives off ball. He's going to get his playing time. Not because he was a high pick. But, because he's seriously capable. He was a high pick because he's such a badass (even without a money shot). If he were coming out this year, the debate would be him vs. Fultz. And that debate would be deservedly heated. Conversely, if Brandon Ingram were coming out this year, he'd be borderline top 10. The question about "where Ben plays" comes from the obvious idea that he likely wont be able to defend against the Isaiah Thomas types. But, he CAN defend 2-5. The game has changed. We no longer want bigs who "show and recover" on a pick-n-roll. We no longer want guards who will work to go over screens. We want guys who can defend multiple positions, and give us the flexibility to switch everything without creating glaring mis-matches.

So folks can call him a point guard, or a power forward. But, he's going to be leading our offense either way. It's a question of who he defends. Best case, we draft a perimeter defender who can cover 1-3 (or better) and shoot the lights out off the catch.

Joel and Ben can both guard 2-5. Dario can guard 3-5. RoCo can guard 1-4. Nik & Gerald each can guard 2-3. The only legit point defender we have currently is TJ, and he's good enough at defending the point that he'll stick around for a good while. Noel & Homes can guard 4-5. Okafor can guard the fattest cheerleader.

We need perimeter defenders and shooting.
nephillymike
If you google Simmons you tube summer league highlights, people will be reminded, like I was, that he's our PG on offense.

There's a clip that runs 7+ minutes and I never knew Holmes was such an offensive force by just paying attention.

Joegrane
I like the term "point forward" rather than point guard. He'll never be a guard because he can't guard them well enough. Magic J was roughly 25lbs lighter. Simmons will always be a forward on D but will often be the facilitator on O.

Thankfully Okafor will likely be "guarding" someone else's fat cheerleader very soon : ) While I respect his ability to finish on O, I never liked him as a starting C in today's NBA and was not fond of the pick for the Sixers.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 23 2017, 02:28 AM) *
We've got to move on from thinking of Ben Simmons as a 4 in every way except that he can capably defend opposing 4s. He is not our 4. He will be a facilitator and a traditional point guard for us on the offensive end. Obviously, he'll be better if the shot is true, but even if it takes some time for that to fully develope, he wont be the 1st PG with a questionable shot. His greatest contribution offensively, will come when leading the offense after grabbing a defensive board. In the half court, he'll be the guy with the ball in his hand late in the clock, and be the guy kicking out or dishing to the open shooter. His ball handling, and shot creating is on par with any point guard in this year's draft. That's why we'll draft a guy who thrives off ball. He's going to get his playing time. Not because he was a high pick. But, because he's seriously capable. He was a high pick because he's such a badass (even without a money shot). If he were coming out this year, the debate would be him vs. Fultz. And that debate would be deservedly heated. Conversely, if Brandon Ingram were coming out this year, he'd be borderline top 10. The question about "where Ben plays" comes from the obvious idea that he likely wont be able to defend against the Isaiah Thomas types. But, he CAN defend 2-5. The game has changed. We no longer want bigs who "show and recover" on a pick-n-roll. We no longer want guards who will work to go over screens. We want guys who can defend multiple positions, and give us the flexibility to switch everything without creating glaring mis-matches.

So folks can call him a point guard, or a power forward. But, he's going to be leading our offense either way. It's a question of who he defends. Best case, we draft a perimeter defender who can cover 1-3 (or better) and shoot the lights out off the catch.

Joel and Ben can both guard 2-5. Dario can guard 3-5. RoCo can guard 1-4. Nik & Gerald each can guard 2-3. The only legit point defender we have currently is TJ, and he's good enough at defending the point that he'll stick around for a good while. Noel & Homes can guard 4-5. Okafor can guard the fattest cheerleader.

We need perimeter defenders and shooting.

D Rock
Like I said. Call him what you want, but he's our point guard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.