Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For the first time in a long time I feel confident
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
For a long time it seems inwardly I've felt the Eagles were drafting players based on the same web sites we use ... almost. Not really, but there hasn't been a confidence that they were really structured and had a proven system for analyzing talent, it seemed more about a given scout's opinions. I guess that's what it ultimately boils down to anyway, but this year the things we've read about Douglas makes me believe he has systems to guide his opinions. Sort of like the difference between a very talented player who is raw vs. a talented player who has been coached to use proper technique.

I realize Roseman has final say, but I want to believe that he's learned that he's a lawyer who may be capable of making some good decisions but doesn't have the foundation or instincts to consistently make good personnel evaluations. I want to believe that he'll take the input and counsel of his professional evaluators to make his decisions, instead of his own.

Ya gotta believe ... right? biggrin.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 25 2017, 11:47 AM) *

If we didn't believe things will improve, there would be no point to sticking with our team.

The big problem? It's not the despair that kills you but the hope ohmy.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 25 2017, 03:10 PM) *
If we didn't believe things will improve, there would be no point to sticking with our team.

The big problem? It's not the despair that kills you but the hope ohmy.gif

No truer words were ever spoken.

Eagles fans are like the pledges in the movie Animal House.

As they whack us in the ass with a large paddle, we yell out at the top of our lungs:

THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!

Same shit, different year.

Modrak begat Heckart begat Roseman.

I'll do my Eagles fan duty and hope for the best, then assume the position for another whack with the paddle.

Joegrane
It really hurts when a high rounder is a bust. The Eagles have had far too many of those in recent years.

In 2011 D Watkins-1 and J Jarrett-2 were almost complete busts and C Marsh-3 underperfomed his draft slot.

2012 and 2013 were good drafts.

In 2014 M Smith-1 has been a near bust and J Huff-3 was disappointing for his draft slot. We'll see if T Hart can convert back to his HS position of OT.

2015 was another bad draft with N Agholor-1 looking like a bust, E Rowe greatly underperformed his draft slot--at least for the Eagles, and no one other J Hicks has made a contribution for the Eagles.

2016 has the look of a solid draft with no obvious busts.

You then have to fill those spots with FAs who are more expensive or less talented than expected for the blown pick's draft slot. That seems to be where the Eagles are at this time--limited by the cap and mediocre drafts. It is no surprise that they are a mediocre team.

If the Eagles can duplicate their 2016 success or improve on it, plus fill the gaping hole at WR, I like their chances to improve from an average team to a solid playoff contender.

QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 25 2017, 06:47 AM) *
For a long time it seems inwardly I've felt the Eagles were drafting players based on the same web sites we use ... almost. Not really, but there hasn't been a confidence that they were really structured and had a proven system for analyzing talent, it seemed more about a given scout's opinions. I guess that's what it ultimately boils down to anyway, but this year the things we've read about Douglas makes me believe he has systems to guide his opinions. Sort of like the difference between a very talented player who is raw vs. a talented player who has been coached to use proper technique.

I realize Roseman has final say, but I want to believe that he's learned that he's a lawyer who may be capable of making some good decisions but doesn't have the foundation or instincts to consistently make good personnel evaluations. I want to believe that he'll take the input and counsel of his professional evaluators to make his decisions, instead of his own.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 25 2017, 11:05 PM) *
It really hurts when a high rounder is a bust. The Eagles have had far too many of those in recent years.

In 2011 D Watkins-1 and J Jarrett-2 were almost complete busts and C Marsh-3 underperfomed his draft slot.

2012 and 2013 were good drafts.

In 2014 M Smith-1 has been a near bust and J Huff-3 was disappointing for his draft slot. We'll see if T Hart can convert back to his HS position of OT.

2015 was another bad draft with N Agholor-1 looking like a bust, E Rowe greatly underperformed his draft slot--at least for the Eagles, and no one other J Hicks has made a contribution for the Eagles.

2016 has the look of a solid draft with no obvious busts.

You then have to fill those spots with FAs who are more expensive or less talented than expected for the blown pick's draft slot. That seems to be where the Eagles are at this time--limited by the cap and mediocre drafts. It is no surprise that they are a mediocre team.

If the Eagles can duplicate their 2016 success or improve on it, plus fill the gaping hole at WR, I like their chances to improve from an average team to a solid playoff contender.

I am surprised a draftnik numbers guy like yourself had no comment on the damning summary of Howies draft I posted earlier this week. That really shows how relatively little we got out of his drafts.
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 25 2017, 08:52 PM) *
No truer words were ever spoken.

Eagles fans are like the pledges in the movie Animal House.

As they whack us in the ass with a large paddle, we yell out at the top of our lungs:

THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!

Same shit, different year.

Modrak begat Heckart begat Roseman.

I'll do my Eagles fan duty and hope for the best, then assume the position for another whack with the paddle.

Well-said. I ask myself all of the time why I turned my two sons into Eagles' fans. They're in for a life of this shit... wink.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 26 2017, 05:50 AM) *
Well-said. I ask myself all of the time why I turned my two sons into Eagles' fans. They're in for a life of this shit... wink.gif

Same here.

I remember the nice run in 2006-2010 for the Eagles and Phillies and Flyers when they were real comfortable with the winning and I saw how they were taking it for granted. I tried to tell them how in Philly, it doesn't always happen that way. They now understand. At 20 and 18, they have a lifetime ahead of them.....
Joegrane
I agree I must have miss the discussion. I'll look for it.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 25 2017, 11:09 PM) *
I am surprised a draftnik numbers guy like yourself had no comment on the damning summary of Howies draft I posted earlier this week. That really shows how relatively little we got out of his drafts.

Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 26 2017, 07:20 AM) *
Same here.

I remember the nice run in 2006-2010 for the Eagles and Phillies and Flyers when they were real comfortable with the winning and I saw how they were taking it for granted. I tried to tell them how in Philly, it doesn't always happen that way. They now understand. At 20 and 18, they have a lifetime ahead of them.....

My kids are only 14 and 11 so they don't really remember the good times so they're not conditioned to win. wink.gif
The Franchise
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 26 2017, 10:13 AM) *
My kids are only 14 and 11 so they don't really remember the good times so they're not conditioned to win. wink.gif

laugh.gif

I assume by the 'good times,' you're referring to the yearly parade of heartbreaking losses in big games? It sucks that they don't remember the '08 Phillies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.