Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All Hail - the King of the Regular Season!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
The Franchise
Andrew Walter Reid, First of His Name.

His Grace.

Defender of The Passing Game.

Bane of the Running Game.

His Generosity of Timeouts and The Clock.

Lord of No Rings.

Another great regular season showing, followed by another January popcorn fart. How many of us watched this game and thought "yeah, I remember those 10-11-12 year seasons where we didn't do shit." How I miss those.

You can have him Kansas City. 34 passes, 14 rushes. Wasting timeouts. God how I don't miss that shit.
Zero
Eric Fisher 1 vs. Lane Johnson 4.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 16 2017, 07:20 AM) *
Eric Fisher 1 vs. Lane Johnson 4.

laugh.gif

Clearly, Fisher has to do a better job.
JeeQ
I looked at the game clock that read 2 minutes left... and then looked over and saw Andy had already burned every timeout

Fucking Andy laugh.gif Never change Big Red
The Franchise
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Jan 16 2017, 03:58 PM) *
I looked at the game clock that read 2 minutes left... and then looked over and saw Andy had already burned every timeout

Fucking Andy laugh.gif Never change Big Red

I sat next to a Chiefs fan at the bar, and told him several times that he was never going to win a championship with Reid because of his gameday coaching and idiotic clock management.

His last timeout was after an incomplete pass near the goal line. Icing on the cake. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 16 2017, 06:22 PM) *
I sat next to a Chiefs fan at the bar, and told him several times that he was never going to win a championship with Reid because of his gameday coaching and idiotic clock management.

His last timeout was after an incomplete pass near the goal line. Icing on the cake. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

and yet, for all of that, they should have tied the game if their tackle does not decide to live up to his name....or if Alex Smith could throw a deep ball to open WRs so he must do something right.....

and right now I would take all those 11 and 12 win season and trips to the playoffs.....I guess you are tired of all our trips there...oh wait...
The Franchise
and yet, for all of that, they should have tied the game if their tackle does not decide to live up to his name....or if Alex Smith could throw a deep ball to open WRs so he must do something right.....

Roflberger and Smith had equally crappy games - in fact, their stats are almost identical. But if you look at the box score, and ultimately the reason why the Steelers were the obvious better team and the winners, something should jump out at you.....something that people like me have screamed at Andy for during his entire tenure here.

Who here can guess what that is?

and right now I would take all those 11 and 12 win season and trips to the playoffs.....I guess you are tired of all our trips there...oh wait...

Would you rather float around in limbo for awhile until you find the puzzle pieces that can win it all, or would you rather win double digit games every year, make the playoffs, and KNOW FOR CERTAIN that you have absolutely no chance of winning it all? It's a fair question and I get that most people would look at it as a 'crapshoot' or 'anything can happen,' but I faced the truth a long time ago buddy. I wonder how many Chiefs fans are starting to notice a pattern over 18 years. God knows Philly sports fans have had enough heartbreak.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 16 2017, 07:28 PM) *
Roflberger and Smith had equally crappy games - in fact, their stats are almost identical. But if you look at the box score, and ultimately the reason why the Steelers were the obvious better team and the winners, something should jump out at you.....something that people like me have screamed at Andy for during his entire tenure here.

Who here can guess what that is?

Would you rather float around in limbo for awhile until you find the puzzle pieces that can win it all, or would you rather win double digit games every year, make the playoffs, and KNOW FOR CERTAIN that you have absolutely no chance of winning it all? It's a fair question and I get that most people would look at it as a 'crapshoot' or 'anything can happen,' but I faced the truth a long time ago buddy. I wonder how many Chiefs fans are starting to notice a pattern over 18 years. God knows Philly sports fans have had enough heartbreak.

Something does jump out.....the Steelers have a healthy Leveon Bell and the Chiefs have no one like him.....pretty obvious stuff.

ANd yes, I will take making the playoffs nearly every year and hoping for the luck needed to win it all.....I wonder if the Steelers fans wondered after 13 years if Cowher would ever win a SB.....oh yeah...I guess he did.
The Franchise
Something does jump out.....the Steelers have a healthy Leveon Bell and the Chiefs have no one like him.....pretty obvious stuff.

You're close - Tomlin ran the ball 30 times, while passing the ball 31 times. Reid decided to run the ball 12 times, while passing 34 times. As a result, the Steelers dominated the clock, wore out KC's defense, and were allowed to control the flow of the game. You know, those things you've heard from Eagles fans for the 14 years Reid was here. He has no ability or desire to adjust his gameplan, resulting in him getting outcoached by Tomlin in yet another playoff exit.

ANd yes, I will take making the playoffs nearly every year and hoping for the luck needed to win it all.....I wonder if the Steelers fans wondered after 13 years if Cowher would ever win a SB.....oh yeah...I guess he did.

It isn't luck. You constantly see a pattern of certain teams and coaches going deep in the playoffs, and winning titles. Reid has to consecutively beat 3 or 4 of those teams/coaches in order to win a ring. It will never happen, and I'll never stop preaching it. Cowher took a long time, but he didn't have glaring gameday flaws.
nephillymike
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 16 2017, 11:05 PM) *
You're close - Tomlin ran the ball 30 times, while passing the ball 31 times. Reid decided to run the ball 12 times, while passing 34 times. As a result, the Steelers dominated the clock, wore out KC's defense, and were allowed to control the flow of the game. You know, those things you've heard from Eagles fans for the 14 years Reid was here. He has no ability or desire to adjust his gameplan, resulting in him getting outcoached by Tomlin in yet another playoff exit.

It isn't luck. You constantly see a pattern of certain teams and coaches going deep in the playoffs, and winning titles. Reid has to consecutively beat 3 or 4 of those teams/coaches in order to win a ring. It will never happen, and I'll never stop preaching it. Cowher took a long time, but he didn't have glaring gameday flaws.

So in other words:

RUN THE DAMN BALL ANDY!
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 16 2017, 11:28 PM) *
So in other words:

RUN THE DAMN BALL ANDY!

cheers.gif

Isn't it fun to watch another team's fan base go through the same January misery we used to? And Jason Kelce has less discipline than Jon Runyan. Andy would've probably sent him to timeout if he didn't use all of them.

*rimshot*
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 16 2017, 11:05 PM) *

ok.....so a team with Leveon Bell runs the ball because they want to run/pass evenly? Seriously? He is one of the top 2 running backs in the league...the Chiefs have Spencer Ware...a bit of a difference. Now I don't disagree that they could have run more but they use the pass as a run true to Andy's offense. For the year the Chiefs pass/run ratio was 57/43. Typical Andy and they went 12-4.

And of course Cowher had no glaring game day flaws to you.....but the knock on him was he was a lousy tactician and a great motivator.

The bottom line is I will take a coach that can get you into the playoffs regularly than a guy whi I hope is better.
Joegrane
RF I agree with you 100%.

Some of our older members may have that opinion because we grew up psychologically damaged watching the Eagles in the late 60s through the mid 70s. The Eagles were the Cleveland Browns during that era. I don't think they had one winning season in ten years! You could look forward to getting pummeled by the Cowboys and Skins 4 times per year.

Sadly, Andy needed to get out of Philly for his own sanity. He went through a lot with has family in the last years here. It must have had an effect on his effectiveness as GM/coach.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 17 2017, 09:52 PM) *
... they use the pass as a run true to Andy's offense. For the year the Chiefs pass/run ratio was 57/43. Typical Andy and they went 12-4.

The bottom line is I will take a coach that can get you into the playoffs regularly than a guy whi I hope is better.

The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 17 2017, 09:52 PM) *
ok.....so a team with Leveon Bell runs the ball because they want to run/pass evenly? Seriously? He is one of the top 2 running backs in the league...the Chiefs have Spencer Ware...a bit of a difference. Now I don't disagree that they could have run more but they use the pass as a run true to Andy's offense. For the year the Chiefs pass/run ratio was 57/43. Typical Andy and they went 12-4.

It was closer to 63/37 when you take out the QB sneaks, but that is definitely typical Andy. I have no doubt we'll revisit this topic next January, after another solid regular season.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 17 2017, 10:16 PM) *
Some of our older members may have that opinion because we grew up psychologically damaged watching the Eagles in the late 60s through the mid 70s. The Eagles were the Cleveland Browns during that era. I don't think they had one winning season in ten years! You could look forward to getting pummeled by the Cowboys and Skins 4 times per year.

I'm 35, and thank heaven that I wasn't alive to watch the 70's Eagles. Or most of the 80's. Going to the playoffs almost every year under Andy was great for a while, don't get me wrong, but my entire point is that his gameday flaws show me he is incapable of winning it all. I realized that after our final NFCCG loss. Therefore, it's pointless to go every year under him. As I said, we'll revisit this next January.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 17 2017, 10:30 PM) *
It was closer to 63/37 when you take out the QB sneaks, but that is definitely typical Andy. I have no doubt we'll revisit this topic next January, after another solid regular season.

hahahaha....so take away all the QB runs for guys like Cam Newton as well?

Andy was generally a guy who was 43-45 run % except for a few outlier years while here....just what he does.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 18 2017, 12:52 AM) *

Andy was generally a guy who was 43-45 run % except for a few outlier years while here....just what he does.

Just curious, do you think Andy is a HOF coach.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 18 2017, 12:52 AM) *

The vast majority of Alex Smith's runs are designed pass plays. Why do I have to explain this to an adult? Andy typically is in the 65-35 range, and in big games he seems to double down and really become predictable. In that one embarrassing playoff loss to Dallas, I think he pushed 80%.

If he was 'typically' 43-45% run, opposing coaches wouldn't scream at their own linemen for defending against the run.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 18 2017, 10:29 AM) *
The vast majority of Alex Smith's runs are designed pass plays. Why do I have to explain this to an adult? Andy typically is in the 65-35 range, and in big games he seems to double down and really become predictable. In that one embarrassing playoff loss to Dallas, I think he pushed 80%.

If he was 'typically' 43-45% run, opposing coaches wouldn't scream at their own linemen for defending against the run.

You crack me up..Alex Smith has a read option and he still only "ran" the ball 48 times...or 3 times a game...and he ran the ball 2 more times than Wentz....Andrew Luck ran the ball nearly 20 times more. Russell Wilson? Aaron Rodgers? Dak Prescott? Marriota? Bortles? Newton? Taylor? Kap? All had considerably more runs..and most had similar run/pass ratios outside of Prescott.

By the way...look at the run/pass ratio in Green Bay....as an adult I am sure you can read. and in a thrilling win over Dallas they passed 71% of the time...not including Rodgers 2 runs....next?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 18 2017, 06:24 AM) *
Just curious, do you think Andy is a HOF coach.

No...I think he is a great coach and I hated to see him go....I understood that some wanted him to go and he likely needed a change but I think he needs a few more SB appearances and/or a SB win to get there but short of that he has little chance to get in.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 18 2017, 12:46 PM) *
No...I think he is a great coach and I hated to see him go....I understood that some wanted him to go and he likely needed a change but I think he needs a few more SB appearances and/or a SB win to get there but short of that he has little chance to get in.

I agree with you except, I didn't hate to see him go. It was time IMO.

The HOF is areal tough ticket for coaches.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 18 2017, 07:55 PM) *
I agree with you except, I didn't hate to see him go. It was time IMO.

The HOF is areal tough ticket for coaches.

I hated to see Reid go and the sad reality is that since Howie arrived on the scene and began usurping power from Banner it has been ugly.

Consider...since Howie wrestled control from Reid as well the Eagles are:
2011 8-8
2012 4-12
2013 10-6
2014 10-6
2015 7-9
2016 7-9

Stellar....simply stellar....and one playoff game, a loss...

I guess you could say that he was the GM in 2010 but he had no power in as much as Reid controlled all personnel.

It was painful to go back and look at 9 out of 14 years in the playoffs....we are so much better off, aren't we? I can see the allure of 1 playoff loss in the last 6 years.....you can get all kinds of things done around the house.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 18 2017, 12:44 PM) *
By the way...look at the run/pass ratio in Green Bay....as an adult I am sure you can read. and in a thrilling win over Dallas they passed 71% of the time...not including Rodgers 2 runs....next?

When you have Aaron Rodgers, you can do that.

When you have Donovan McNabb (who I'm a huge fan of as a player), you can't. Or Alex Smith for that matter.
Phits
Weren't 2011 and 2012 controlled by Reid? He decided to "go for it" in his last season with the dream team, failed miserably and was ousted.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 18 2017, 08:33 PM) *
I hated to see Reid go and the sad reality is that since Howie arrived on the scene and began usurping power from Banner it has been ugly.

Consider...since Howie wrestled control from Reid as well the Eagles are:
2011 8-8
2012 4-12
2013 10-6
2014 10-6
2015 7-9
2016 7-9

Stellar....simply stellar....and one playoff game, a loss...

I guess you could say that he was the GM in 2010 but he had no power in as much as Reid controlled all personnel.

It was painful to go back and look at 9 out of 14 years in the playoffs....we are so much better off, aren't we? I can see the allure of 1 playoff loss in the last 6 years.....you can get all kinds of things done around the house.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 19 2017, 11:14 AM) *
Weren't 2011 and 2012 controlled by Reid? He decided to "go for it" in his last season with the dream team, failed miserably and was ousted.

That was Howie's dream team.....he was glowing at Lehigh
nephillymike
He was promoted in 2010.

When you add that season in, he has been .500 in his career.

He's below average to poor in drafting and in playoff success.

He has this upcoming season to prove to me he belongs.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 19 2017, 08:07 PM) *
He was promoted in 2010.

When you add that season in, he has been .500 in his career.

He's below average to poor in drafting and in playoff success.

He has this upcoming season to prove to me he belongs.

He had, by his and Lurie's own admission, little to nothing to do with personnel decisions.

Although he had the title of general manager, Roseman served mainly in an advisory role to head coach and executive vice president of football operations Andy Reid, who had the final say in football matters

The only thing he has proven is that he has to have pictures of Lurie with a farm animal. Everything bad he has done has been pushed off as other's problems.....and anything good was him....the worst kind of exec.
Joegrane
RF, that's too good laugh.gif
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 20 2017, 02:42 AM) *
He had, by his and Lurie's own admission, little to nothing to do with personnel decisions.

Although he had the title of general manager, Roseman served mainly in an advisory role to head coach and executive vice president of football operations Andy Reid, who had the final say in football matters

The only thing he has proven is that he has to have pictures of Lurie with a farm animal. Everything bad he has done has been pushed off as other's problems.....and anything good was him....the worst kind of exec.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.