Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting article on the Eagles offense
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Reality Fan
Lots of blame to go around......

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/eagle...0111-story.html
Zero
If I understood what he was saying, Wentz played like a rookie and the receivers were unreliable. BTW, I agree that speed isn't the biggest need for the WRs. They need to get open and catch the ball consistently. A field stretcher would be nice, but not necessary.
nephillymike
One concerning thing was that they didn't even run deep patterns.

That's stupid coaching.

Even if you run a decoy deep, you loosen up the coverage and remove a would be tackler from the defense.

One other thing about that. A WR who is deep, once a play breaks down, has everything in front of him when coming back for the ball in a scramble drill. It makes it easy for him to find the soft spots to go to.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 14 2017, 06:58 AM) *
One concerning thing was that they didn't even run deep patterns.

That's stupid coaching.

Even if you run a decoy deep, you loosen up the coverage and remove a would be tackler from the defense.

One other thing about that. A WR who is deep, once a play breaks down, has everything in front of him when coming back for the ball in a scramble drill. It makes it easy for him to find the soft spots to go to.

agreed.....but it was funny in light of all the comments about WR not getting open.....I don't dismiss the issue of drops but to not have deep options is coaching indeed.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 14 2017, 08:34 AM) *
agreed.....but it was funny in light of all the comments about WR not getting open.....I don't dismiss the issue of drops but to not have deep options is coaching indeed.

Hollis Thomas said something interesting this afternoon. (I know, hard to believe).

Now we know that he is friends with G Lew, but he said that the Eagles didn't see eye to eye with his desire to hold the players accountable and that he favored benching Agholar long before he was and that he wanted to put Turner in to show it is how you play not where you are drafted that matters. They thought otherwise and he is gone.

Interesting.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 14 2017, 03:39 PM) *
Hollis Thomas said something interesting this afternoon. (I know, hard to believe).

Now we know that he is friends with G Lew, but he said that the Eagles didn't see eye to eye with his desire to hold the players accountable and that he favored benching Agholar long before he was and that he wanted to put Turner in to show it is how you play not where you are drafted that matters. They thought otherwise and he is gone.

Interesting.

not interesting....obvious.....look at when Turner played...he performed....and then barely used...

That is the part that worries me about the coach......a guy like DGB...why not use him to run deep routes regularly? and why does the coach not tell the QB to look his way a lot? Make him prove he can or can't play.....too many of the beat writers gave Pederson a pass.....it wasn't until Nick Fierro did his work that it becomes clear from the tape that it was not just the WRs...
Phits
The WR's didn't show any improvement all season. The drops continued. Make no mistake Lewis was part of the problem.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 14 2017, 03:39 PM) *

Interesting.

Sending WR deep requires time for the play to develop. With the patch work o-line we had for most of the season that would have put more pressure on them. I think that it was clear the plan was to have Wentz get the ball out quickly and often. That plan required the receivers to catch 'easy' passes, and they failed....regularly.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 14 2017, 05:19 PM) *
not interesting....obvious.....look at when Turner played...he performed....and then barely used...

That is the part that worries me about the coach......a guy like DGB...why not use him to run deep routes regularly? and why does the coach not tell the QB to look his way a lot? Make him prove he can or can't play.....too many of the beat writers gave Pederson a pass.....it wasn't until Nick Fierro did his work that it becomes clear from the tape that it was not just the WRs...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.