Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rating Roseman Version 2.0
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
So, in hindsight, how did Howie do?

Starting with the coaching hire.

We hired Pedey. Didn't get the two other first time head coaches in the playoffs, Mc Adoo or Gase. I wasn't in love with the hire, but he's grown on me. From what we've heard, the players respect for him, and except for that one game, they played hard for him. He had a lot of mines to maneuver through and I think he did a good job. His D.C. Did a good job and his ST's coach is the best. Pedey hire gets a B.

Free Agency.

Everyone and their mother knew our WR were horrible in 2015. Howies answer to this huge void was Randle and Givens. So the guys he brought in were so bad, that they couldn't make this j.v. Team of WRs. They were also bad enough that nobody else signed them. That ineptitude is tough to duplicate. There were many WRs to be had in FA that we passed on: Wallace, Jones, Matthews, Lafell, Benjamin, Sanu and Boldin all were there, and four of those were two years or less, all but two had a cap value in 2016 of less than 3.6 M. A big F in the FA WR grade.

Free Agent signings in chrono order:

Bradford - 2 year deal. B. For what they paid, and how he played, it was a decent deal. At the time, they didn't have the draft Wentz plan, so they had to do what they had to do.

McKelvin - 2yr deal. C-. A below average CB on an average deal.
B.Brooks -5 yr deal. B. A good OG had a solid year. Hopefully game day nerves don't continue.
R. McLeod - 5 yr deal. B+. Solid addition.
R. Brooks - 3.yr deal. C. Low risk deal for a guy who wasn't good enough to get starter snaps for BUF.
N. Bradham - 2 yr deal. A. Played really well, a pleasant surprise.
C. Daniel - 3 yr deal. D. Didn't need this player if deal at that huge expense. He was signed AFTER we resigned Bradford.
Carroll - 1 yr deal. C. Average deal for their best returning CB. His play was below average
Givens and Randle - see above F,F,F. Did I say F?
Winiewski - 1 yr deal. A. Great find for 1.5M. I still think he can start here.
Sproles - 1 yr deal. A. Mighty Mousecis a pleasure to watch. He was used right by this staff.
Tulloch - 1 yr deal. C+. We didn't need him because Hicks was a healthy beast but good insurance.

Free Agency grade = C. WR fail was just too large a factor to get a better overall grade.

Extensions
Ertz 5 year ext. B+ his avg contract value is 6th highest, his guarantee is 4 thhighest, his avg yards per game is 3rd AND he changed his lack of effort and fought for yards after the CIN embarrassment.

Celek- 3 yr ext. B. Only 6 M guarantee. A reasonable deal for a team player.

Johnson - 6 yrs B. 4th highest deal for an OT. He's not PB yet, but should get there the way he's been playing. He won't overplay this contract, but I think he can play up to it.

Curry - 5 yrs. F. There was nothing in his resume that said he was worth it, nor nothing in his play since. Stealing money. But he jumped in Howies arms like a bride to be!

Jenkins - 5 years B. Looks good for now, but too long for his age. nothing against his play because he was PB caliber, but it will be tough for him to justify long term value of the contract.

Overall Extensions Grade = B-.

Draft
Wentz - based on his play, C-. Based on his potential and intangibles, A-. Tangibles outweigh intangibles: C+
Seamalo, Smallwood, Big V all solid B. Too early to tell with limited reps, but so far so good.
Mills - B+. Shows a lot of spunk and had a decent year. 3rd round talent, 7th round pick.
Countess - C. Good enough to start two games for LA Rams. A quick cut here.
McCalister - D. DE showed nothing in camp before getting put on IR.
Walker - Inc. on IR. It showed potential in preseason.

Draft Grade = B-.

Undrafted Free agents and waiver wire pickups

CJ Smith, Turner, Vaeao, Marshall, Gordon, all ended on the 53 man roster.
Shittu, Greene, Johnson, watford and Grymes all signed to the Futures practice squad.

Waiver wire pickups of T. Brooks, Kanu Hill and Treggs hardly contributed.

Granted, some of this opportunity is caused by poor drafting and FA, but even so, that' s an impressive haul for udfa and waiver wire hauls.

Grade for UDFA and Waiver wire pickups = A.

TRADES

Wentz and a 4th for two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd and a 4th.
+
1st and a 4 th and a bunch of cap room for Bradford
=
Wentz, 4th and a bunch of Cap room for Bradford, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
= B. Wentz needs to play at a much higher level to make this work. Cap space in this deal is huge!

Gave up Murray to move up 13 spots in the 4th round and get cap room. Talent wise, it's an epic F fail. Murray had a Pro Bowl level season. The cap room takes it out of the F range and into the D. We got basically nothing for him.

Maxwell and Alonso to move up 5 spots in round 1. Maxwell was just below Pro Bowl level and Alonso was a serious contributor for a playoff team. Got cap room, but CB was a weakness. C+.

Rowe to NE for a 4th rounder, possibly sweetened to a 3rd. Rowe is playing better CB than most guys drafted in those rounds and better than all CB playing for our team. Epic fail by Schwartz, can't blame Howie much for this. Rowe was demoted day one and no writers could understand it. I guess he needed room for his chronies CB from BUF to play. D.

DGB for D. Kelly. While not the steal we thought it was, we took a deep sub, who ended up playing the 7th most OL snaps in TEN, for a raw talent in a position of need. = B.

Trade Summary.
We gave up:
Bradford, Murray, Maxwell, Alonso, Rowe, Kelly, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd
FOR
Wentz, DGB, a 5 spot move up in Round 1, a 4th, a 13 spot move up in round 4 and a bunch of cap but with giving up four more players than we got, some of that cap would need to be used to buy replacements. It will still be a net cap gain, but not the plethora it seems at first.

In hindsight, I think very few make that deal. C-

Howie needs to not over value those he drafted, have someone who realizes that good players can play in multiple systems, and someone to better evaluate Pro talent.

For his career as GM since he was promoted in 2010, he's at exactly a .500 record in the regular season. He's 0-2 in the playoffs in 7 years and was an insecure prick to coworkers. The team he was handed was very good. All this makes him slightly below average in his career, and Howie 2.0 year one has done nothing to improve his grade.

As Andy would say, he needs to a better job with that!
Joegrane
I largely agree but thought you were tough on CW given lack of preseason, weapons around him loss of LJ and subsequent mess at OT.

McKelvin was brought in partially because he knew the system. We don't know how helpful he has been to Mills and others as they were learning. He got injured early. I think E Rowe had become a head case. Recall that he was making really dumb mistakes in preseason games. The deep backups looked better than he did.

Ask me 5 yrs from now about moving up for CW.

Hicks gets all the attention due to big plays but I thought Bradham was our best LB based on consistent play.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 8 2017, 08:43 PM) *
So, in hindsight, how did Howie do?

Starting with the coaching hire.

We hired Pedey. Didn't get the two other first time head coaches in the playoffs, Mc Adoo or Gase. I wasn't in love with the hire, but he's grown on me. From what we've heard, the players respect for him, and except for that one game, they played hard for him. He had a lot of mines to maneuver through and I think he did a good job. His D.C. Did a good job and his ST's coach is the best. Pedey hire gets a B.

Free Agency.

Everyone and their mother knew our WR were horrible in 2015. Howies answer to this huge void was Randle and Givens. So the guys he brought in were so bad, that they couldn't make this j.v. Team of WRs. They were also bad enough that nobody else signed them. That ineptitude is tough to duplicate. There were many WRs to be had in FA that we passed on: Wallace, Jones, Matthews, Lafell, Benjamin, Sanu and Boldin all were there, and four of those were two years or less, all but two had a cap value in 2016 of less than 3.6 M. A big F in the FA WR grade.

Free Agent signings in chrono order:

Bradford - 2 year deal. B. For what they paid, and how he played, it was a decent deal. At the time, they didn't have the draft Wentz plan, so they had to do what they had to do.

McKelvin - 2yr deal. C-. A below average CB on an average deal.
B.Brooks -5 yr deal. B. A good OG had a solid year. Hopefully game day nerves don't continue.
R. McLeod - 5 yr deal. B+. Solid addition.
R. Brooks - 3.yr deal. C. Low risk deal for a guy who wasn't good enough to get starter snaps for BUF.
N. Bradham - 2 yr deal. A. Played really well, a pleasant surprise.
C. Daniel - 3 yr deal. D. Didn't need this player if deal at that huge expense. He was signed AFTER we resigned Bradford.
Carroll - 1 yr deal. C. Average deal for their best returning CB. His play was below average
Givens and Randle - see above F,F,F. Did I say F?
Winiewski - 1 yr deal. A. Great find for 1.5M. I still think he can start here.
Sproles - 1 yr deal. A. Mighty Mousecis a pleasure to watch. He was used right by this staff.
Tulloch - 1 yr deal. C+. We didn't need him because Hicks was a healthy beast but good insurance.

Free Agency grade = C. WR fail was just too large a factor to get a better overall grade.

Extensions
Ertz 5 year ext. B+ his avg contract value is 6th highest, his guarantee is 4 thhighest, his avg yards per game is 3rd AND he changed his lack of effort and fought for yards after the CIN embarrassment.

Celek- 3 yr ext. B. Only 6 M guarantee. A reasonable deal for a team player.

Johnson - 6 yrs B. 4th highest deal for an OT. He's not PB yet, but should get there the way he's been playing. He won't overplay this contract, but I think he can play up to it.

Curry - 5 yrs. F. There was nothing in his resume that said he was worth it, nor nothing in his play since. Stealing money. But he jumped in Howies arms like a bride to be!

Jenkins - 5 years B. Looks good for now, but too long for his age. nothing against his play because he was PB caliber, but it will be tough for him to justify long term value of the contract.

Overall Extensions Grade = B-.

Draft
Wentz - based on his play, C-. Based on his potential and intangibles, A-. Tangibles outweigh intangibles: C+
Seamalo, Smallwood, Big V all solid B. Too early to tell with limited reps, but so far so good.
Mills - B+. Shows a lot of spunk and had a decent year. 3rd round talent, 7th round pick.
Countess - C. Good enough to start two games for LA Rams. A quick cut here.
McCalister - D. DE showed nothing in camp before getting put on IR.
Walker - Inc. on IR. It showed potential in preseason.

Draft Grade = B-.

Undrafted Free agents and waiver wire pickups

CJ Smith, Turner, Vaeao, Marshall, Gordon, all ended on the 53 man roster.
Shittu, Greene, Johnson, watford and Grymes all signed to the Futures practice squad.

Waiver wire pickups of T. Brooks, Kanu Hill and Treggs hardly contributed.

Granted, some of this opportunity is caused by poor drafting and FA, but even so, that' s an impressive haul for udfa and waiver wire hauls.

Grade for UDFA and Waiver wire pickups = A.

TRADES

Wentz and a 4th for two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd and a 4th.
+
1st and a 4 th and a bunch of cap room for Bradford
=
Wentz, 4th and a bunch of Cap room for Bradford, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
= B. Wentz needs to play at a much higher level to make this work. Cap space in this deal is huge!

Gave up Murray to move up 13 spots in the 4th round and get cap room. Talent wise, it's an epic F fail. Murray had a Pro Bowl level season. The cap room takes it out of the F range and into the D. We got basically nothing for him.

Maxwell and Alonso to move up 5 spots in round 1. Maxwell was just below Pro Bowl level and Alonso was a serious contributor for a playoff team. Got cap room, but CB was a weakness. C+.

Rowe to NE for a 4th rounder, possibly sweetened to a 3rd. Rowe is playing better CB than most guys drafted in those rounds and better than all CB playing for our team. Epic fail by Schwartz, can't blame Howie much for this. Rowe was demoted day one and no writers could understand it. I guess he needed room for his chronies CB from BUF to play. D.

DGB for D. Kelly. While not the steal we thought it was, we took a deep sub, who ended up playing the 7th most OL snaps in TEN, for a raw talent in a position of need. = B.

Trade Summary.
We gave up:
Bradford, Murray, Maxwell, Alonso, Rowe, Kelly, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd
FOR
Wentz, DGB, a 5 spot move up in Round 1, a 4th, a 13 spot move up in round 4 and a bunch of cap.

In hindsight, I think very few make that deal. C-

Howie needs to not over value those he drafted, have someone who realizes that good players can play in multiple systems, and someone to better evaluate Pro talent.

For his career as GM since he was promoted in 2010, he's at exactly a .500 record in the regular season. He's 0-2 in the playoffs in 7 years and was an insecure prick to coworkers. The team he was handed was very good. All this makes him slightly below average in his career, and Howie 2.0 year one has done nothing to improve his grade.

As Andy would say, he needs to a better job with that!

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 8 2017, 09:56 PM) *
I largely agree but thought you were tough on CW given lack of preseason, weapons around him loss of LJ and subsequent mess at OT.

McKelvin was brought in partially because he knew the system. We don't know how helpful he has been to Mills and others as they were learning. He got injured early. I think E Rowe had become a head case. Recall that he was making really dumb mistakes in preseason games. The deep backups looked better than he did.

Ask me 5 yrs from now about moving up for CW.

Hicks gets all the attention due to big plays but I thought Bradham was our best LB based on consistent play.

Except for the first half of Big V debut, and one game when Barbre struggled over there, I thought out RT play without LJ was above average, especially when you consider the two last minute Brooks sickness.
Joegrane
I hear you but Pedey was providing help on that side after the disaster in DC. I suppose that is partially why he used so much two and three TE sets. That will limit the offense somewhat. Well with our WRs, maybe not : (

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 8 2017, 11:08 PM) *
Except for the first half of Big V debut, and one game when Barbre struggled over there, I thought out RT play without LJ was above average, especially when you consider the two last minute Brooks sickness.

Zero
WR was the big failure, and we don't know why. Because Roseman talked to the wrong people, had less money or the players preferred other teams? It looked to me that Maxwell, Alonso and Murray all quit on the team and Murray wanted out.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 9 2017, 05:37 AM) *
WR was the big failure, and we don't know why. Because Roseman talked to the wrong people, had less money or the players preferred other teams? It looked to me that Maxwell, Alonso and Murray all quit on the team and Murray wanted out.

Talent evaluation. That's what failed on these misses.

We had plenty of money. These WRs were mostly in the 2-4M year 1 cap hit range.

Maybe Douglas will make a difference. I saw a headline that he's had difficulty with WR in the past. I'll try to find the article.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 9 2017, 06:20 AM) *
Talent evaluation. That's what failed on these misses.

We had plenty of money. These WRs were mostly in the 2-4M year 1 cap hit range.

Maybe Douglas will make a difference. I saw a headline that he's had difficulty with WR in the past. I'll try to find the article.

It may have been Ray Diddy who said that, but I remember it too. What I question there is that Douglas wasn't the only scout in B'more so I'm not sure why only he would get either blame or credit for personnel.

I'm not arguing the evaluation was solid, only that it takes two to sign a contract. The team was coming off a bad scene with Kelly and everyone knew it. New coach is a rookie and QB was a big question. Not an ideal landing spot for FAs.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 9 2017, 07:02 AM) *
It may have been Ray Diddy who said that, but I remember it too. What I question there is that Douglas wasn't the only scout in B'more so I'm not sure why only he would get either blame or credit for personnel.

I'm not arguing the evaluation was solid, only that it takes two to sign a contract. The team was coming off a bad scene with Kelly and everyone knew it. New coach is a rookie and QB was a big question. Not an ideal landing spot for FAs.

To say that Philly is not a good landing spot for a FA you then have to look where they did land......not all FAs went to great teams. It is really about the money most times.

Howie is terrible...plain and simple. The problem is that he thinks he is a genius and he is the one sleeping with Lurie.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 9 2017, 07:02 AM) *

Yep. Whenever a team is on its third HC in five seasons it is bound to set off the alarms and warning flags.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.