Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Last To First?!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
One sports writer likes the Eagles' chances to go from last place to first place in the NFC East next year.

Eagles, Jaguars lead worst-to-first candidates for 2017 season
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000076...for-2017-season

"I don't think the Cowboys will win 13 games again in 2017. Dallas was 3-3 within the NFC East, with the Eagles playing them to overtime in Week 8 (and winning the meaningless regular-season finale). Going back to 2011, only four teams have gone from worst to first -- and all four came from the NFC East. So why buck the trend? The Eagles have a good, young quarterback in Carson Wentz, who bounced back nicely from a mid-season valley, and a promising coach in Andy Reid-disciple Doug Pederson, while Fletcher Cox, Jordan Hicks and Brandon Graham anchor a strong defense. The top-notch front office, headed by Howie Roseman, has eight draft picks coming up, including one in the top 20. Give them more speed at running back and receiver and look out."

While I agree that if you are picking the best "last to first" candidate, the Eagles would be a good candidate, I don't agree with some of his reasons.

Top notch front office--huh?! It has been Keystone Cops in recent years.
No mention of the desperate need for at least one outside CB!
Speed has been the strength of the Eagles RBs. They need healthy bodies.

On a more sobering note, Roob describes the Eagles' salary cap situation for 2017.
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagl...nging-offseason

'The Eagles’ adjusted cap figure in 2016 was $161,806,117, and their adjusted cap figure in 2017 projects to $165,096,643, according to Spotrac.com, which exhaustively tracks salary and contract information for all major sports.'

'According to Spotrac, the Eagles have the fourth-smallest amount of projected cap money this offseason at $12,440,825.'

I think Roob failed to mention that the Eagles will also need to resign or replace their current free agents. Thankfully the list is not as problematic as usual, with Benny Logan being the most expensive player on the list.

J Lurie also has a history of keeping $5mil or more in free cap space if I recall correctly. It will be interesting to see if he is skimpy on that this year while the Eagles wait to clear Sam B's $5mil in dead money.

The Eagles will also need $ to sign their draft picks, but they usually replace more expensive players.
Zero
I think all they will need to do in FA is sign a competent WR and a competent CB ... players who will be reliable but not necessarily pro bowl caliber. After signing their own players, they should have enough to do that and have rookie money. Go into the draft with the ability to take the BPA and potentially move down doing it. They have a lot of needs, and another pick wouldn't hurt.
Joegrane
I agree. Of course they'll have to deal with their own FAs--esp B Logan and N Carroll.

Maybe with the shortage of $ they will feel they must sacrifice Logan in order to get an upgrade at CB and WR. I'd be okay with that even though I like Bennie. It is easier to get capable depth at DT with the picks they have. They could start B Allen next to Cox and bring in a rookie and others for pass rushing situations.

QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 7 2017, 11:38 AM) *
I think all they will need to do in FA is sign a competent WR and a competent CB ... players who will be reliable but not necessarily pro bowl caliber. After signing their own players, they should have enough to do that and have rookie money.

I usually like the idea of moving down, but not this year. They need positions that are better addressed in the part of the 1st round where they will be picking. You can get a stud CB or WR in that spot.

I don't think the team has a lot of "needs." There are a few big needs--#1 CB, #1 WR, #1 RB--and other areas where they just need to add depth with mid round picks--OG, LB, S.

I would not have a problem with them using a 4th round pick to move up in the 3rd round to get the RB they really like. I would not have a problem with them doing that in the 4th round to get the OG they really like.

Go into the draft with the ability to take the BPA and potentially move down doing it. They have a lot of needs, and another pick wouldn't hurt.
Birdman420
I would like to see Logan return because he's a big guy with a lot of heart and drive. Carol was someone I liked at the start of the season but to free up cap space he needs to go. B Allen is a great replacement for Bennie if that's the case so I'm not worried either way.
Zero
I don't see Allen as a starter. He's good in the rotation but Bennie can be a run clogging beast and is a leader.
Eyrie
Keeping Logan is important to avoid weakening our defence.

Not keeping Carroll is important to avoid a continuing weakness in our defence.

Burton and Braman are my other two priorities. I want Wizniewski back but think we'll have to wait whilst he looks for a starting job elsewhere.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 7 2017, 11:16 AM) *
While I agree that if you are picking the best "last to first" candidate, the Eagles would be a good candidate, I don't agree with some of his reasons.

Top notch front office--huh?! It has been Keystone Cops in recent years.
No mention of the desperate need for at least one outside CB!
Speed has been the strength of the Eagles RBs. They need healthy bodies.

Brandt has gone senile, except instead of weaving baskets, he spends his time writing things about football. Picking the Jaguars 2nd (above Carolina no less) destroys his credibility.

One playmaker at WR or CB can change our fortunes, but I'm not confident in our front office's ability to get the right one, and Pederson's gameday coaching has thrown up more red flags than a Bolshevik rally. I think we can finish 2nd and get in the playoffs, but barring injury we're not beating the Cowboys. Hell, their backups hung with us until late in the 4th quarter.
Zero
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 7 2017, 05:58 PM) *
Hell, their backups hung with us until late in the 4th quarter.

Dallas is the better team. They have better starters and better depth but I remember the game in Dallas. The Eagles were overmatched but took them to OT and it can be argued that we lost the game on terminal HC stupidity.

We may not be that far off, we should go into both games next year with a realistic shot at winning. Not favored, but a good shot.
Rick
While a last to first story sounds great, I don't see it happening. Too many holes on this team and I don't see Dallas getting weaker. I see the Redskins probably doing something to screw up. The Giants seem to find a way to be competitive no matter who is on the team.

Joegrane
Dallas also has cap limitations and I think that does not even take into consideration their rather long list of FAs--far longer than the Eagles' list.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/dallas-cowboys/

However if they can manage to move Tony R and free up some cap space, they could again be very good.

Dreagon, what are you hearing on this subject?

QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 8 2017, 12:12 PM) *
While a last to first story sounds great, I don't see it happening. Too many holes on this team and I don't see Dallas getting weaker. I see the Redskins probably doing something to screw up. The Giants seem to find a way to be competitive no matter who is on the team.

Rick
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 8 2017, 02:16 PM) *
Dallas also has cap limitations and I think that does not even take into consideration their rather long list of FAs--far longer than the Eagles' list.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/dallas-cowboys/

However if they can manage to move Tony R and free up some cap space, they could again be very good.

Dreagon, what are you hearing on this subject?

As I've said, I've heard a bunch of people around here freak out about cap space in the past, the teams always seem to figure it out. So, either the info presented to the public isn't 100% accurate (as far as how the cap works), or, there are shenanigans, which go on. I don't know but I don't concern myself with cap issues any longer because of this.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 7 2017, 07:41 PM) *
Dallas is the better team. They have better starters and better depth but I remember the game in Dallas. The Eagles were overmatched but took them to OT and it can be argued that we lost the game on terminal HC stupidity.

We may not be that far off, we should go into both games next year with a realistic shot at winning. Not favored, but a good shot.

Yeah I agree, and any team can always win any game. Pederson cost us that game. I'm more referring to beating them in the standings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.