Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Continuity, Stability
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I've heard several times in the past week probably the most lucid argument for why some teams always seem to be contenders, and it starts with identity. The Eagles have been inconsistent with this outside of the Vermeil and Reid eras. I'm getting the feeling that this is where the team wants to go now, follow the Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Green Bay and New England models: define your schemes, what kind of skills are needed in those schemes and have scouts that will identify players that fit those needs.

I'm guessing this is what Douglas brought to the table. A plan, one that is logical and proven. Not a quick fix, but a sustained method of building a team. I'm hoping that this is a revelation that Roseman had in his year of banishment. Identify what you need from each position and have your scouts list and rank the players who fit the criteria. This could screw fan's draft boards but the concept appears sound. You don't necessarily want to marry the sexiest girl, you want the girl who will be the best partner for you.
Dreagon
Yep. Those teams have stuck with the same coaches for a while.
Zero
The Howie haters see his lips move, but don't believe the words coming out. They don't believe he will listen to anyone but himself when it comes to making personnel decisions.

My feeling is he wouldn't bring in a guy as highly regarded as Douglas unless he was willing to listen to his advice. And I think Roseman will listen to him. But we'll see.
Linc ...

Listening to talk and opinions on the radio the past few days makes me really, really hope that Roseman leans on Douglas and listens to him. Jon Ritchie on WIP (remember him?) said that Douglas looks for players who want to beat you up, intimidate you and make you quit in addition to talent.

I keep saying it, this guy is the key to the Eagles' future. If he's what people say he is, we really do have hope.
Zero
Roseman tells Douglas to "take over the personnel department" and it sounds like he'll essentially be rebuilding it. Considering the recent history of failures, that should be a good thing. The future success of the team is tied to the job this guy is doing, let's really hope he is the right person for the job.
Douglas is introducing the concepts he learned as a young scout and as 20/20 member with the Ravens, such as how to talk to a pro liaison at a school. It seems simple, Douglas said, but he noted that legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden taught players how to wear socks on the first day of practice. The scouts all must speak the language and know what the team wants in a player.

Douglas spent more than a decade accumulating Southwest Airlines reward points and waiting in security lines at the Baltimore-Washington International airport. He'll go on the road again this fall, but he doesn't have the same life as a scout anymore. He wants to keep the same mentality, though, because there is always another Flacco to unearth and another McClain to project.
Here ...
Zero
“I look for that desire to win. That mental toughness,” he says. “The NFL will humble everybody. You have to be able to pick yourself up when the going gets tough. I’m looking for guys that love football, that make great teammates and that hate to lose.”
Kelly loved size. He loved measurables. I think Douglas is more about attitude. Think about the difference in Connor Barwin and Terrell Suggs. Think about the difference in Anquan Boldin and Miles Austin. The Ravens didn’t just want guys with size. They didn’t just want guys with strength. They wanted people who would literally beat up other guys. They wanted guys who played with an edge.

Here ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.