Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now that the season is over
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
They had this on post game show.
Reality Fan
Considering they realistically could have made it this year if not for a rookie QB making some poor showings at crucial times in the 4th quarter and some horrendous officiating they have a shot to flip that next year
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 2 2017, 12:34 AM) *
Considering they realistically could have made it this year if not for a rookie QB making some poor showings at crucial times in the 4th quarter and some horrendous officiating they have a shot to flip that next year

And for some lame brained play calling that gave up points and probable wins.
Eyrie
We're not that far away from being a playoff team if you remember we had some close losses so 2017 is very possible. If not, 2018 is non-negotiable.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 2 2017, 07:07 AM) *
And for some lame brained play calling that gave up points and probable wins.

Pederson easily cost us 2 games, arguably 3 if you count the Ravens 2-pointer. That's 9-7 or 10-6, 10-6 would've gotten us in as 9-7 would've lost the tiebreaker to the Lions. So in theory I would say next year, but he's still going to be calling the plays. sad.gif

Rick
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 2 2017, 07:28 AM) *
We're not that far away from being a playoff team if you remember we had some close losses so 2017 is very possible. If not, 2018 is non-negotiable.

I don't want them to be a playoff team, I want them to be a SB contender. I know I know, you have to be in it to win it and all but, realistically, teams like the Eagles (this season)--if they make the playoffs--are one and done or maybe an upset win and done...unless you're the Giants...
Birdman420
when is it not "next year" for philly fans? haha
SAM I Am
I'd prefer to see what they do in the offseason first. Crazy, huh?

If it isn't a major improvement --- in year 2 of the rebuilding process (I know some of you hate to hear that reality) --- on what we have now, on both sides of the ball, then put me down for 2018, hopefully.

And if it isn't by 2018, then we have the wrong people in place making decisions for this team, and that will set the team back even farther.

By the way, other teams won't be sitting pat either.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 2 2017, 05:09 PM) *
I don't want them to be a playoff team, I want them to be a SB contender. I know I know, you have to be in it to win it and all but, realistically, teams like the Eagles (this season)--if they make the playoffs--are one and done or maybe an upset win and done...unless you're the Giants...

But the question was about the playoffs.

Being amongst the favourites will take three or four years to build a strong and deep enough roster. At present we have too many guys nearing the end of their career and not enough elite youngsters to build on.
Rick
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 2 2017, 04:01 PM) *
Being amongst the favourites will take three or four years to build a strong and deep enough roster. At present we have too many guys nearing the end of their career and not enough elite youngsters to build on.

Exactly, so they have a bunch of veterans but not enough talent to get it done. That's the problem and why I don't care about making the playoffs currently (generally-speaking). But you're right, they're in a position to make the playoffs before they'll be able to make a good run in the playoffs.
JeeQ
2012: Eagles are last in the division with 4 wins
2013: Eagles win the division the very next season with 10 wins

2014: Redskins are last in the division with 2 wins
2015: Redskins win the division the very next season with 9 wins

2015: Cowboys are last in the division with 4 wins
2016: Cowboys win the division the very next season with 13 wins

2016: Eagles are last in the division with 7 wins
2017: wink.gif
Joegrane
If they add one actual NFL WR, draft a CB in Round 1 or 2, sign a CB a little better than N Carroll and fill the void at RB I think they will be a playoff contender in 2017.

Jason Peters was remarkably healthy this year. You can't expect that ever again. However next year they should have the backups to avoid the mess we saw in the first Skins game.

The problem for the Eagles is they they could loose two of their best players after 2017--Peters and Sproles.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 1 2017, 11:51 PM) *
They had this on post game show.

Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 2 2017, 04:42 PM) *
Jason Peters was remarkably healthy this year. You can't expect that ever again. However next year they should have the backups to avoid the mess we saw in the first Skins game.

The plan has always seemed to be to move LJ to the left when Peters is done. Big V actually did a decent job after his first game. They need to add backups.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 2 2017, 10:46 PM) *
The plan has always seemed to be to move LJ to the left when Peters is done. Big V actually did a decent job after his first game. They need to add backups.

Can't do everything this offseason though.

I'd be fine with bringing back Wizniewski on a three years deal for veteran depth inside. Then use 2017 to make a decision on whether Vaitai is the RT of the future or just decent depth. Knowing that will enable us to make a decision in 2018 on a high pick to start or a mid round pick to develop.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 3 2017, 05:58 AM) *
Can't do everything this offseason though.

I'd be fine with bringing back Wizniewski on a three years deal for veteran depth inside. Then use 2017 to make a decision on whether Vaitai is the RT of the future or just decent depth. Knowing that will enable us to make a decision in 2018 on a high pick to start or a mid round pick to develop.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wiz back but I think he wants to be a starter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.