Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2016 Season
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
Well, in wins, they did better than I'd thought--I projected 5 wins--so that's a good thing. However, the way they go to their 7 wins is a bit disappointing. No, I wasn't one of the crazy Eagle fans who thought they were something special after going 3-0. I knew it would be a tough road. However, they were in so many games late. Many of those game they should have won but lost. That was what was most disappointing.

I can't say I'm overly-disappointed with the offense since that's about what I thought we'd get out of it. I knew our WRs suck. I knew we'd have issues with the OL (although it did much better than I thought it would). I knew Wentz would struggle at times. But, overall, they did about what I expected so I can't be too disappointed with them.

Special teams, well, they are special. What bothers me most is they're going to waste what they have with special teams now, while they're not very good. When they get good, special teams will probably suck.

I am not happy with Pedersen and have gotten even more unhappy with him as the season went on. Not because of the record, rather, because of his boneheaded calls throughout the season, which he continues to defend. He cost the team at least 2 wins directly by my count. I fear he is so much like Andy Reid he will not learn from his mistakes. He certainly has not learned from them throughout the season. If he made these mistakes early, learned from them and didn't make them again, I'd be more hopeful, however, he's done the exact opposite. Not to mention his playcalling has been horrible. I hope he looks at his season and learns from it and decides to do something about his mistakes.

I'm more disappointed with the defense. With the guys they have I expected much more. Some people claim it's because they haven't been in the system long enough but I saw a defense that got worse through the course of the season. If it were an issue of them not being in the system long enough they should have gotten better with more experience in it. That didn't happen.

The DL started off great, then fell flat on its face exposing the horrible secondary (ok, CBs, not the safeties). I'm just tired of watching the CBs on the Eagles get beaten play after play. This has been going on since JJ left. No matter who they put back there we get the same (bad) results. I don't understand why this continues to happen.

Do I feel we have a lot to look forward to for next season? Well, not really. This team has so many holes, it'll be extremely difficult to fill enough to make this team a truly competitive team in one season. They are so depleted of talent on the offensive side (FUCK YOU CHIP!) it's going to take a few seasons to restock unless they get lucky on some lower round picks. I have no confidence Pedersen will fix what he's been doing wrong.

With all that said, I will still be watching them next season and hoping. I hope they can do some things in the offseason to surprise me. I'd really like to believe they can compete....
Eyrie
The repeated failure to win any of the close games until week 16 was frustrating, but some comfort can be taken from the fact that we won our last two games when we had nothing to play for and the players could have just mailed it in.

I also don't think we're that far away from being competitive.

Offense
- Wentz will have a full offseason to work with his receivers, so there will be improvement (partially offset by opposing defences having a full offseason to study tape on Wentz).
- We know we need two WRs to help Wentz, which can be addressed
- We need a starting RB, which could mean persevering with Mathews or taking advantage of a deep draft class
- TE is fine
- We have a strong starting OL and have added two good rookies for depth

Defence
- We need Curry to step up once Barwin is cut, but a solid DE should be available in FA
- DT is fine if we can keep Logan
- LB has two good starters but needs depth
- S has two good starters but needs depth
- CB is a concern, but can be fixed with the right draft pick

STs
- Fipps, Sproles, Jones, Dorenbos, Sturgis, Maragos and Braman will all be back

So if we can do the following in the offseason we'll be nicely set up
- FA priorities are to keep Logan, then add WR (Jackson?) and depth at DE and LB
- draft CB, WR and RB in the first three rounds then S.

We won't be a favourite even for the division but will be able to make a genuine run at the playoffs. Considering where Kelly left us, I'll take that.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jan 2 2017, 06:02 AM) *
- FA priorities are to keep Logan, then add WR (Jackson?) and depth at DE and LB
- draft CB, WR and RB in the first three rounds then S.

I like what you say except part of your FA analysis. I think Means may be able to step into a DE roll but we should try to grab a starting CB instead. I think we could benefit from a second tier S/ST FA pickup too.

I don't care where they get player in the draft as long as they can contribute. The "character" thing, a player like Mixon, RB from OK. I haven't seen him play, but he's reported as a first round talent that may not be drafted and may not even get a chance as an UDFA because he punched out a girl when he was a freshman. I'm not excusing or overlooking bad behavior, but young people do stupid things yet often change. Due diligence.

I was a big fan of Reid's emphasis on character players, especially the contrast with Dallas' criminals and degenerates. But, the character guys never won until the problem child came on board. Character is good, but shouldn't trump talent. I like that Roseman has said he's not afraid of players like Mills and Smallwood who both had some character issues and neither of those two were top talents.
Rick
I wish I had that optimism. These WRs just plain suck. No amount of chemistry will help that. They may suck a little less but they'll still suck.

I can only hope the defensive line gets better. The line was quite disappointing after the first few games of the season. I've got to believe they'll draft a CB or two but I'm not hopeful about getting a stopper. They haven't been able to get a stopper for many years now. Hope this changes though.

Dallas should be good for another few years but, honestly, I still don't think they're as good as their record shows. Eagles should have beaten them the first time for sure. Yesterday was good but was against their scrubs so I can't say what would have happened in another starters vs. starters game but I've got to believe it would have been (at least) close again.

The Giants have plenty of problems of their own. Manning isn't gonna play forever.

The Redskins will probably screw up and not sign the one guy whom they really should (Cousins). For some reason, there isn't a whole lotta love for him there. I don't understand it.

So the Eagles can be competitive in the NFC East but I want more. They're a ways off from competing with the other top dogs in the NFC and even farther off from competing with the Patriots of the AFC. I don't see this changing next season but we'll see after that.
xsv
I'm a little disappointed by the defense too, but I think some of that was due to frustration with the offensive struggles, as well as the switch back to a 4-3 and a new system. Add a corner or two, and I think this defense has what it takes to make a deep run.

I have a hard time not being optimistic about next season. We were competitive in nearly every game this year, beat four really good 11+ win teams, knocked off a an undefeated team, never gave up and showed a lot of heart. Wentz has flashed an elite level skillet and has shown the ability to learn from mistakes. Pederson does look a lot like Andy, but I don't view that as a bad thing.

Overall, I think this is currently a solidly average team. Add an above average WR and CB and some luck and I think we've got a good chance to make a deep run nexst year.
Zero
QUOTE (xsv @ Jan 2 2017, 07:15 AM) *
I'm a little disappointed by the defense too, but I think some of that was due to frustration with the offensive struggles, as well as the switch back to a 4-3 and a new system. Add a corner or two, and I think this defense has what it takes to make a deep run.

I have a hard time not being optimistic about next season. We were competitive in nearly every game this year, beat four really good 11+ win teams, knocked off a an undefeated team, never gave up and showed a lot of heart. Wentz has flashed an elite level skillet and has shown the ability to learn from mistakes. Pederson does look a lot like Andy, but I don't view that as a bad thing.

Overall, I think this is currently a solidly average team. Add an above average WR and CB and some luck and I think we've got a good chance to make a deep run nexst year.

Not sure how much the new systems had to do with their struggles, but I agree that the defense could have been affected by the offensive struggles (not a good thing) and that two corners could dramatically alter the overall performance. Remember that they were without LJ for most of their losses, lost Brooks who proved more worthy than I had thought he would be and their best RB was in and out.

The games they won they won by a total of 85 points or a bit more than 14 points per win. The games they lost they lost by 68 points, about 7.5 points per game. That's not bad with the inconsistency issues of both offense and defense, not to mention a very inexperienced HC who was obviously feeling his way along.

I don't think everything is going to be coming up roses for 2017, but there's lots of reason for optimism. There are a couple of keys, IMO. Pederson needs to objectively critique his performance and change where needed. As much as I've jumped on his case, he appears to be the kind to do that. Roseman and his personnel people need to have a good offseason. They need to fill holes with players who will perform. They don't have to be super stars, they need to be competent and reliable. Wentz needs to step out of rookie mode, study his games and work on his mechanics.

The big reasons for hope are:
  • Douglas and Weidl are supposed to be the real deal
  • Pederson has the head of a backup QB and not the ego of a talented star
  • Wentz has brains, humility and work ethic to go with his talent
I am Optimystic too! biggrin.gif
Zero
Add this to the optimism:
To sum it up, it’s not like the Eagles were getting blown out very often. And one must consider Philadelphia faced the NFL’s most difficult schedule in terms of opposing win percentage. It’s reason like these why the Eagles finished favorably in advanced metrics. The Eagles ended the season with the NFL’s 10th best point differential. They rank fifth overall in Football Outsiders‘ DVOA stat. The argument can be made the Eagles were a little better than their final record indicated.

With this as a counter:
It’s important to realize the Eagles really aren’t a young team. Heading into the 2016 season, they had the fifth oldest average roster age of any NFL squad. Some of Philadelphia’s best players, such as Jason Peters and Darren Sproles, are nearing retirement. Once again, there will be a lot of pressure on Howie Roseman, Joe Douglas, and the Eagles’ front office to replenish the team with talent this offseason.
Rick
QUOTE (xsv @ Jan 2 2017, 08:15 AM) *

Oh I don't disagree--they were in many games (honestly should have won many of those) and all that. I'm just not optimistic this group of guys in the front office/coaching staff can get it done and make them much more than the average team they are now. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong but the signs are not encouraging.
The Franchise
Receivers, DB's, a play calling intervention for Pederson.

Those 3 things happen, and we're in it next year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.