Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's in the Eagles' future?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I just read Murphy's piece on the NFC East. He looks at how close the team was to games against resurgent Cowboys, Giants and Redskins but tries to pull the plug on our hopes with cap facts. True enough, the Eagles are sitting near the sludge of the cap pond, but I think a closer look is needed.

How does anyone feel about losing these guys?
Connor Barwin - $7,750,000
Mychal Kendricks - $1,800,000
Ryan Mathews - $4,000,000
Marcus Smith - $1,483,515
Leodis McKelvin - $3,200,000
The starting point is ($867,312). This quick list of presumed released players would leave the team with $17,366,203, less approximately $6,997,499 for the rookie pool would leave Roseman $10,368,704 for FA needs, more if Peters can be restructured.

Granted there are multiple holes to fill, but realistically, which one's need to be filled with vet FAs, and of those what level of FA and at what cost? Most may agree that WR and CB are the team's two biggest needs in FA. Would a second tier player at both positions fill the need and fit in their budget? Are we as far off as Murphy and our guts lead us to believe?
Joegrane
"How does anyone feel about losing these guys?"

Connor Barwin - $7,750,000.
I think Barwin is gone but that assumes another DE is signed. That FA might be Marcus Smith plus a rookie drafted in one of the higher rounds.

Mychal Kendricks - $1,800,000. Gone. Draft a rookie in rounds 2-4 to go along with others already here.

Ryan Mathews - $4,000,000. I hope he is back but with a new contract that reflects a lead role in a RB by committee situation.

Leodis McKelvin - $3,200,000. I'd like to have him back as a mentor for a rookie from the 1st or 2nd round.

You also have to account for the other Eagle FAs, esp B Logan, N Carroll and B Braman
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/philadelphia-eagles/

I've not been a big DJax fan but he does fit here, even at his age. Would he accept a role and contract as a combination outside and slot WR with very few Red Zone snaps? Unfortunately Howie would have to work some magic to make it happen under the cap. I assume N Agholor would be the #4 WR and be deactivated most weeks.

I assume that would include loosing Kendricks, McKelvina and Matthews and then starting a rookie 1st rounder at CB, 2nd rounder at LB or RB, and 3rd rounder at LB or RB.
The Franchise
In our future, I see a lot of stupid 4th down attempts.

Get rid of Matthews. Get rid of Marcus Smith a year ago. Either get a top notch FA wideout, or use the 1st round pick on one.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 27 2016, 08:37 AM) *

No real problem with any of them. Toughest one for me would be Barwin because he's such a great person but, this year, he's been invisible on the field.

I really want to like Kendricks. He shows flashes of being an amazing player. He's shown very few of these flashes this season and he still misses too many tackles.

Please say goodbye to Ryan Mathews. Besides the fact he can't stay healthy for more than 3 games in a row, his fumble problems are a killer.

Goodbye Marcus Smith.

McKelvin, like all of the guys in the secondary, will have times where he covers very well but then doesn't make a play on the ball. I'm tired of seeing this.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 27 2016, 12:37 PM) *
I just read Murphy's piece on the NFC East. He looks at how close the team was to games against resurgent Cowboys, Giants and Redskins but tries to pull the plug on our hopes with cap facts. True enough, the Eagles are sitting near the sludge of the cap pond, but I think a closer look is needed.

The starting point is ($867,312). This quick list of presumed released players would leave the team with $17,366,203, less approximately $6,997,499 for the rookie pool would leave Roseman $10,368,704 for FA needs, more if Peters can be restructured.

Granted there are multiple holes to fill, but realistically, which one's need to be filled with vet FAs, and of those what level of FA and at what cost? Most may agree that WR and CB are the team's two biggest needs in FA. Would a second tier player at both positions fill the need and fit in their budget? Are we as far off as Murphy and our guts lead us to believe?

Barwin - good person by all accounts but his production doesn't justify that cap hit.
Kendricks - not a big saving and leaves us with only two recognised LBs.
Mathews - that's another $4m reasons to add to his fumbling and injuries.
Smith - another with a small saving that creates a hole, especially if Barwin goes
McKelvin - I prefer him when healthy to Carroll.

So Barwin and Mathews are the two that I'd let go, and the other three are very dependant on being able to replace them. Can't afford to create holes for the sake of it any more than we should carry guys that don't justify the cap hit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.