Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ryan Mathews needs neck surgery.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Will be replaced by Terrell Watson.

by Les Bowen, Staff Writer @LesBowen
Eagles coach Doug Pederson said running back Ryan Mathews will require surgery for a herniated disk in his neck. Mathews was hurt on the play before the fourth-down run on which he was stopped short of the goalline, in what became a 24-19 Eagles victory over the New York Giants Thursday night.

Pederson called it a "pretty significant injury" for the Eagles' leading rusher (661 yards on 155 carries and a team-high eight touchdowns), who already seemed like a long shot to return for a third season with the team in 2017.
Phits
It may be a shitty thing for me to say, but I am hoping that his injury solidifies the decision not to re-sign him. He's a talented RB, but injury prone and suffers from "fumblitis". I hope that this isn't the end of his career...just as an Eagle.
Joegrane
I hope he fully recovers from the injury. I really like him. He's a Philly-type of player. You know you are going to get a strong effort from him.

I hope they draft a feature back in the second round next year and keep Matthews as a mentor--as long as he's not teaching the kid to hold onto the ball : (

QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 23 2016, 04:33 PM) *
It may be a shitty thing for me to say, but I am hoping that his injury solidifies the decision not to re-sign him. He's a talented RB, but injury prone and suffers from "fumblitis". I hope that this isn't the end of his career...just as an Eagle.

Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 23 2016, 09:33 PM) *

I know what you mean. It's not about him as a person but his on field contribution.

I liked Mathews over Murray last year and agree both that he is a talented runner when healthy and that he does have issues with ball security.

I wasn't sure about releasing him after 2016 as this would create another hole on the team, but with yet another injury and a deep class of running backs in 2017's draft I think that it's time to accept that we need to move on.

Given that we've not seen much of him in the fourth quarter when the game has been on the line, I think Pederson may feel the same way.
nephillymike
Mixed emotions.

When he played, he gave great effort and played well, except those fumbles.

With Sproles, Smallwood and Barner, we had the depth to cover him for the inevitable time he would miss, so the status quo wouldn't have created a need.

However, with this type of injury, he is likely done playing his style of play.

I feel bad for him and wish him well but we'll have to address yet another need.

I think our opening day roster was 5th oldest in the league.

We have more holes leaving this year than coming in, and I think we will have trouble being as successful next year as this.

Our cap situation is one of the worst in the league and with the cap rising a hefty amount next year, there will be less talent available in free agency this year.

Maybe Howie can work some trades.

This team isn't sniffing playoffs until 2018 and maybe not until years afterwards. I am too old for this shit. 19 fucking 60.

Sit back and enjoy DAL and NYG in the playoffs, with a long shot of WAS. Our division foes proved agile at making their teams better in the offseason. Hopefully Howie took notes.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 23 2016, 02:33 PM) *

The only time Ryan Mathews isn't fumbling the football is when he's injured.
Joegrane
Thanks for pointing out the big increase in the cap next year.

That's another reason to not get rid of R Matthews if he recovers from the injury.

If they use their Round 1 or 2 pick on a feature RB, that will reduce the # of carries for Ryan, hopefully keep him healthy but also provide veteran RB as a mentor for the rookie.

I assume Barner would be cut to make room for the rookie. I don't think Smallwood will ever be more than just an okay backup.

After 2017 the team will likely loose both Matthews and Sproles. This is the year to draft a RB and let him get some experience!

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2016, 08:34 AM) *
Mixed emotions.

When he played, he gave great effort and played well, except those fumbles.

With Sproles, Smallwood and Barner, we had the depth to cover him for the inevitable time he would miss, so the status quo wouldn't have created a need.

However, with this type of injury, he is likely done playing his style of play.

I feel bad for him and wish him well but we'll have to address yet another need.

I think our opening day roster was 5th oldest in the league.

We have more holes leaving this year than coming in, and I think we will have trouble being as successful next year as this.

Our cap situation is one of the worst in the league and with the cap rising a hefty amount next year, there will be less talent available in free agency this year.

Maybe Howie can work some trades.

This team isn't sniffing playoffs until 2018 and maybe not until years afterwards. ....

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2016, 08:34 AM) *
Mixed emotions.

I know you're the founder of Axis, but you seem to be sinking deeper into that black hole of negadelphia. Here's a Christmas gift from Optimystic:
  1. Peters may have one or two more quality years in him. He's not what he used to be, but he's still better than most.
  2. The OL is a different beast with LJ back on the right. Odds should favor him learning a lesson the hard way.
  3. Seumoalo and Big V both got some quality snaps and should at least help provide quality depth ... maybe be starters if needed.
  4. Wentz had a full year to experience the NFL and will be coached up all off-season, if not by coaches then by Daniel.
  5. Both the offense and defense now have a year under the new systems and will be more natural playing next year.
  6. Pederson and his staff have the a year of experience with each other and Pederson learning some ropes as HC.
  7. For the first time in a long time the team has at least two highly regarded personnel people who have been watching the team, the competition and the college players for a year.
  8. The Eagles have 8 draft picks, 1 in each round and 2 in the 4th.
  9. Despite injuries, suspensions, talent holes and questionable coaching decisions, the team was in almost every game with the ability to win.
It's not Roseman alone, Douglas and Weidl will have to prove themselves but it seems there's been teams with less hope and less money turn things around and become challengers. Most of us expected this to likely be a throw away season that would serve as a foundation for the future. We knew the money would be a problem which Roseman confirmed more than once, but most of us believed it would be a good start. There's a lot of work to do and a lot has to go right, but there's also lots of room for optimism.

I'll bet Axis enlistments actually go down this off season. laugh.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 26 2016, 02:15 PM) *
I know you're the founder of Axis, but you seem to be sinking deeper into that black hole of negadelphia. Here's a Christmas gift from Optimystic:
  1. Peters may have one or two more quality years in him. He's not what he used to be, but he's still better than most.
  2. The OL is a different beast with LJ back on the right. Odds should favor him learning a lesson the hard way.
  3. Seumoalo and Big V both got some quality snaps and should at least help provide quality depth ... maybe be starters if needed.
  4. Wentz had a full year to experience the NFL and will be coached up all off-season, if not by coaches then by Daniel.
  5. Both the offense and defense now have a year under the new systems and will be more natural playing next year.
  6. Pederson and his staff have the a year of experience with each other and Pederson learning some ropes as HC.
  7. For the first time in a long time the team has at least two highly regarded personnel people who have been watching the team, the competition and the college players for a year.
  8. The Eagles have 8 draft picks, 1 in each round and 2 in the 4th.
  9. Despite injuries, suspensions, talent holes and questionable coaching decisions, the team was in almost every game with the ability to win.
It's not Roseman alone, Douglas and Weidl will have to prove themselves but it seems there's been teams with less hope and less money turn things around and become challengers. Most of us expected this to likely be a throw away season that would serve as a foundation for the future. We knew the money would be a problem which Roseman confirmed more than once, but most of us believed it would be a good start. There's a lot of work to do and a lot has to go right, but there's also lots of room for optimism.

I'll bet Axis enlistments actually go down this off season. laugh.gif

Bah humbug!

I just watched the NFL Network Timeline special on the Fog Bowl.

I got DAL and NYG in the playoffs and WASWith a shot.

I've seen Gase and McAdoo make the playoffs in their first year and our former coach find religion with a run game.

It seems that the coaches we didn't hire, do better, the players we trade or cut or don't sign do better, while those that we sign are below average.

A ton of wrong decisions.

And, what if I agree with almost all of your points, and still think we will fall short of improvement needed?

We had Agholar play 98% of the offensive snaps this week. There's some ace talent evaluation and playing time assigning! I am sure Pedey gets a ton of respect in that locker room for that!

That's where I am the dark age of gloom.

And I actually had a great Christmas! Hope you did too.
Zero
Yes, thanks. We had a great Christmas.

I thought I was the lone Pederson critic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.