Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not sold on the coaches
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
I still think the kid was the right choice, but the players and coaches around him seem to be giving him little or no help. Also, you have to consider the fact he has never played this much in a season, most rookie QBs wear down late in the season, even Prescott with the abundance of weapons around him has not been as sharp down the stretch. So Wentz needs an off season to build enough strength to handle a full NFL season, and I am not sure our current staff is up for developing the kid. I think his inaccuracies and perceived lack of arm strength are directly related to that fact. Add in a group of receivers that drop more than they catch, and OLine in perpetual flux, and a coach who calls some of the dumbest plays at the worst times...and the kid has a problem? Its his supporting cast, on and off the field.

Joegrane
I don't want to make too many excuses for CW. He has been off target more frequently in recent weeks. In the first few games he was threading the needle, including some really dangerous throws. Those were throws to guys he had not worked with much in the preseason. It was really remarkable.

I wonder if all of the hits he's been taking have taken a toll on him. I wonder if he is dinged up enough that his accuracy has suffered somewhat. It does not make sense to me that he was more accurate in the first few games other than he probably had more trust in his OLine protection and was healthy.

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 20 2016, 09:30 PM) *
I still think the kid was the right choice, but the players and coaches around him seem to be giving him little or no help. Also, you have to consider the fact he has never played this much in a season, most rookie QBs wear down late in the season, even Prescott with the abundance of weapons around him has not been as sharp down the stretch. So Wentz needs an off season to build enough strength to handle a full NFL season, and I am not sure our current staff is up for developing the kid. I think his inaccuracies and perceived lack of arm strength are directly related to that fact. Add in a group of receivers that drop more than they catch, and OLine in perpetual flux, and a coach who calls some of the dumbest plays at the worst times...and the kid has a problem? Its his supporting cast, on and off the field.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 20 2016, 09:50 PM) *
I don't want to make too many excuses for CW. He has been off target more frequently in recent weeks. In the first few games he was threading the needle, including some really dangerous throws. Those were throws to guys he had not worked with much in the preseason. It was really remarkable.

I wonder if all of the hits he's been taking have taken a toll on him. I wonder if he is dinged up enough that his accuracy has suffered somewhat. It does not make sense to me that he was more accurate in the first few games other than he probably had more trust in his OLine protection and was healthy.

I think it is a bit more about DCs got tape on Wentz.....plain and simple.....people bitch about the line but entering week 11 the Eagles O line was ranked 2nd behind the Cowboys. (https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-11/) Even up to date rankings have them in the top half of the league at other sites.
I realize that hurts the narrative but it is pretty simple. The WRs are not good but they were worse last year.....it comes down to whether Wentz can adjust to those adjustments made to him.
xsv
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 20 2016, 11:16 PM) *
I think it is a bit more about DCs got tape on Wentz.....plain and simple.....people bitch about the line but entering week 11 the Eagles O line was ranked 2nd behind the Cowboys. (https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-11/) Even up to date rankings have them in the top half of the league at other sites.
I realize that hurts the narrative but it is pretty simple. The WRs are not good but they were worse last year.....it comes down to whether Wentz can adjust to those adjustments made to him.

The line has been pretty average overall, but to my eyes, it seems like he's getting a lot more pressure up the middle lately, keeping him from stepping up into his throws. I remember early in the year Wentz was getting a lot of praise for "climbing the pocket". Now, I see him throwing from his back foot alot due to pressure. That would explain a lot of the high throws and inaccuracy.

I'm ok with the coaches for another year as long as the team continues to come out and play hard and be competitive against the better teams in the league. But, if they don't finish with a winning record next year and at least contend for the playoffs, I'd probably fire them.

Pila
I think the coaches have been pretty good. Some early mistakes that cost the team a few precious wins, but the situational awareness fails are a product of a young, rookie coach.

But in terms of play design and play-call, they've been very, very good in most cases, especially when one considers the talent at WR makes the team really one-dimensional to defend. I don't think we really appreciate just how difficult it is to have the mild success when you consider the WR threat is nearly non-existent.

I think both Pedey and Carson are very, very good. And they'll get better once the team's talent medium improves.
Zero
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 20 2016, 09:30 PM) *

I think it's a combination of everything. The team is feeling itself out, coaches with players, players with coaches, players with players and coaches with each other. I get frustrated when Pederson tries to be the smartest guy in the room by making unconventional calls at critical times. I'm hoping he does some serious and realistic self evaluation in the offseason and finds the right mix. He needs to understand his and the team's limitations and work within them. That doesn't mean no risk taking but it does mean he needs to be more of a boss, less of a friend and be more disciplined with his risks.
Phits
QUOTE (Pila @ Dec 21 2016, 11:29 AM) *
I think the coaches have been pretty good. Some early mistakes that cost the team a few precious wins, but the situational awareness fails are a product of a young, rookie coach.

But in terms of play design and play-call, they've been very, very good in most cases, especially when one considers the talent at WR makes the team really one-dimensional to defend. I don't think we really appreciate just how difficult it is to have the mild success when you consider the WR threat is nearly non-existent.

I think both Pedey and Carson are very, very good. And they'll get better once the team's talent medium improves.

Well stated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.