Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not sold on the Kid
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
In this league, you need to be able to throw the deep ball.

Matthews was NFL open, Wentz maryed it for what would have been an easy INT if not for bogus illegal contact call.

He's just not shown a competency in making NFL throws.

The short behind the line passing game is a complete embarrassment to his lack of skill and/or our play calling incompetence.

Not good from here.

Verge of fan embarrassment.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 18 2016, 03:03 PM) *
In this league, you need to be able to throw the deep ball.

Matthews was NFL open, Wentz maryed it for what would have been an easy INT if not for bogus illegal contact call.

He's just not shown a competency in making NFL throws.

The short behind the line passing game is a complete embarrassment to his lack of skill and/or our play calling incompetence.

Not good from here.

Verge of fan embarrassment.

Wow. I'm surprised it took you so long to get around to posting this today.

Yep, the guy just sucks. Maybe we can get something for him in the offseason, but I 'm sure all of the GMs in the league will see the same thing that you see --- the guy isn't NFL competent --- and nobody will want him, even if we try to give him away.

SMH
nephillymike
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 18 2016, 03:24 PM) *
Wow. I'm surprised it took you so long to get around to posting this today.

Yep, the guy just sucks. Maybe we can get something for him in the offseason, but I 'm sure all of the GMs in the league will see the same thing that you see --- the guy isn't NFL competent --- and nobody will want him, even if we try to give him away.

SMH

As Sheldon would ask

Sarcasm?.
nephillymike
Wentz has got to run more.

That TD was proof.

When you throw it 3-8 for 36 yards with a great catch to save you among the three, you need to use the skills that are good enough.

Run Carson, Run!
JeeQ
I love the kid's game. He's just need weapons
Rick
His mechanics are getting worse as the season goes on and he gets hit more and more. I'd like to see them sit him for the rest of the season now and start working on the mechanics. This will both allow him some extra time on fixing his mechanics, which will take a while anyway AND keep him from getting hurt/PTSD from all of the hits he's taking.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 18 2016, 05:23 PM) *
His mechanics are getting worse as the season goes on and he gets hit more and more. I'd like to see them sit him for the rest of the season now and start working on the mechanics. This will both allow him some extra time on fixing his mechanics, which will take a while anyway AND keep him from getting hurt/PTSD from all of the hits he's taking.

One way to help his mechanics is to get rid of the C who gets pushed back into his follow through lane every other play.

A joke.
Zero
Geezus, we've go a rookie QB with limited experience that has lost confidence in his coach. Pederson is a disaster, IMO. It looks to me like Wentz doesn't believe in him and the defense expects the offense to lose games like they did today.
Joegrane
It is hard to say the O lost the game when they put up 26 on the road against one of the better Ds in the league.

QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 18 2016, 05:33 PM) *
Geezus, we've go a rookie QB with limited experience that has lost confidence in his coach. Pederson is a disaster, IMO. It looks to me like Wentz doesn't believe in him and the defense expects the offense to lose games like they did today.

CT_Eagle
I agree with you Mike.

I need to see more before I am convinced that Wentz is the answer. Especially with regards to the deep ball. The accuracy just isn't there. I have seen enough to go into next season with him and see how he develops as well as see what he does with what hopefully is a better supporting cast.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 19 2016, 12:50 AM) *
It is hard to say the O lost the game when they put up 26 on the road against one of the better Ds in the league.

Agreed. The O did more than enough. The D flat out sucked for most of the day.
SAM I Am
Geezus, we've go a rookie QB with limited experience that has lost confidence in his coach.
Whoa! How did you come to that conclusion? Please don't tell me you can see it in his eyes.

I also disagree with the rest of your post.
Pederson is a disaster, IMO. It looks to me like Wentz doesn't believe in him and the defense expects the offense to lose games like they did today.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 18 2016, 07:50 PM) *

Have to agree.....Ryan Matthews was a frickin beast
Zero
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 19 2016, 06:29 PM) *
Whoa! How did you come to that conclusion? Please don't tell me you can see it in his eyes.

I also disagree with the rest of your post.

Did you hear his response to Pederson saying his mechanics were off in the 60 pass game?
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 19 2016, 08:50 PM) *
Did you hear his response to Pederson saying his mechanics were off in the 60 pass game?

No, I didn't.
Zero
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 20 2016, 11:00 AM) *
No, I didn't.

I'm paraphrasing, but essentially he said "what do you expect when I have to throw 60 times?"
Phits
Here are the exact quotes

Following a blowout, 32-14 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz was asked why 13 weeks into the season his passes continue to sail on him down the middle of the field.

His answer?

"If you throw the ball 60 times," Wentz said, "you are going to make miss some of them. That kind of happens."

Linc#1

Vontaze Burfict was on the receiving end of two of Wentz’s three interceptions. Wentz was especially inaccurate over the middle.

Coach Doug Pederson attributed the inaccuracy to mechanics.

“It’s strictly mechanics,” Pederson said after the game. “If you watch the way it’s happening, the fact that we have to get him off of his back foot and trusting what he sees down the field.”

Wentz didn’t agree that mechanics were an issue. He said he feels the same mechanically as in Week 3, when he was viewed as a shoo-in for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.

“You throw the ball 60 times, you’re going to miss some. That kind of happens,” Wentz said. “I don’t think it’s the mechanics. You make mistakes. Things happen, and that’s just the bottom line.”

Linc#2
Reality Fan
The problem with Wentz's comments is that his point of view suffers from INTs thrown in the first half.....that invalidates his comments immediately
Pila
On the contrary, I'm completely sold on the kid.

Is he off sometimes when there's guys in his face. Yeah, rookie QBs tend to do that under pressure situations, and sometimes fails to see defenders expected elsewhere in his presnap readings.

Mechanics are a matter of muscle memory. It'll come with time.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 20 2016, 08:18 PM) *

If he wanted me to become a bigger fan of his than I was, he accomplished his goal.

He was no doubt frustrated at Pederson's idiotic play calling, and took a shot at him. Good. Get your game up Pedey.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 21 2016, 12:52 PM) *
If he wanted me to become a bigger fan of his than I was, he accomplished his goal.

He was no doubt frustrated at Pederson's idiotic play calling, and took a shot at him. Good. Get your game up Pedey.

Again...if he throws a pick in the 4th quarter or starts sailing the ball in the 3rd quarter he has a point....unfortunately all this does is is show he is not that sharp with the media.....he has had issues in the first quarter...long before he gets to 60...or 50....or 40....or 30.....or 20...

I like Pederson so far....they have been in a position to win almost all of their losses.....with some of the performances that is the coaches.....you can't say that "if this guy or that guy is better" and than say that the coaches suck if they are in every game.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 21 2016, 04:51 PM) *
Again...if he throws a pick in the 4th quarter or starts sailing the ball in the 3rd quarter he has a point....unfortunately all this does is is show he is not that sharp with the media.....he has had issues in the first quarter...long before he gets to 60...or 50....or 40....or 30.....or 20...

Nobody is arguing against your point, I'm simply saying that he was frustrated with the play calling, and took a shot at Pederson, which I'm glad he did. There's absolutely no excuse for that pass/run ratio with this team, against a solid Bengals secondary. If it takes the QB himself to let Pedey know why his rookie shouldn't be dropping back 60+ times a game, then so be it - and he also did so in a relatively professional way, not overtly criticizing the coach. Tom Brady has attempted 60+ passes once in the last decade, a game he lost. I'd like our future to finish the season in one piece.

I think we've been in almost every game despite Pederson, not because of him. His coaching blunders cost us 2 division games that likely change our entire season outlook.
rumply
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 21 2016, 05:36 PM) *
Nobody is arguing against your point, I'm simply saying that he was frustrated with the play calling, and took a shot at Pederson, which I'm glad he did. There's absolutely no excuse for that pass/run ratio with this team, against a solid Bengals secondary. If it takes the QB himself to let Pedey know why his rookie shouldn't be dropping back 60+ times a game, then so be it - and he also did so in a relatively professional way, not overtly criticizing the coach. Tom Brady has attempted 60+ passes once in the last decade, a game he lost. I'd like our future to finish the season in one piece.

I think we've been in almost every game despite Pederson, not because of him. His coaching blunders cost us 2 division games that likely change our entire season outlook.

yeah having a rookie throw 60 times is just nuts & that is my biggest concern with a spud like Pederson, that he will take a talent like Wentz & within a couple of seasons utterly ruin him as a starting QB in this league.

This season cant end quick enough...
Phits
Perhaps CW should work on his mechanics to help improve his accuracy. Otherwise, our rookie should shut up and drop back a hundred times if that's what the head coach calls for.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 21 2016, 04:36 PM) *

Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 21 2016, 04:36 PM) *

But you ignore the most important things in your critigue of throwing 60 passes....34 of those attempts were in the 4th Quarter.....34!

They threw the ball because they were losing by 3 TDs......in the 3rd quarter they were down 26-0 and they threw the ball 42 times from there on out....you ignore all that...if Wentz would have thrown the ball accurately downfield instead of 5 yards at a time they would not have needed to throw so much. They did not have Ryan Matthews....that hurt but if you blame the coach you are missing the a hell of a lot of the facts....his air mail of the pass to DGB who was wide open was in the 2nd quarter....that was not from throwing 60 passes...he had a clean pocket.

Wentz needs to keep his mouth shut and do his job and get better.

Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 21 2016, 11:48 PM) *
Wentz needs to keep his mouth shut and do his job and get better.

Wentz didn't say anything wrong. It wasn't an outward slap at his coach, but a statement of fact. That he said it indicates to me that there may be some discord in the locker room that he was reacting to.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 22 2016, 07:48 PM) *
Wentz didn't say anything wrong. It wasn't an outward slap at his coach, but a statement of fact. That he said it indicates to me that there may be some discord in the locker room that he was reacting to.

Precisely why he should shut up and play. The public doesn't need any indication of discord in the locker room....especially from the franchise QB.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 22 2016, 07:48 PM) *

Ok...let me try to say this slower.....he threw a pick in the first half....he has done that many times....that is not from throwing too many passes......that is from making a bad throw....deal with it...own it....

If his picks were all in the 4th quarter I would say he is right....and when you are down 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter you are going to throw the ball....and when you are Carson Wentz and have really only mastered the 5 yard completion you are going to throw a lot. Look at the statistics...34 of the 60 passes came in the 4th quarter.....over 40 were in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and the full 4th quarter....that happens when you are losing by 26....funny how that works. That is a statement of fact.....what him saying tells me is that he read too much of his press the first 3 weeks....and someone probably told him when a team trades a lot to get a 1st round pick that pick usually outlasts the coach.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 22 2016, 10:19 PM) *
Ok...let me try to say this slower.....he threw a pick in the first half....he has done that many times....that is not from throwing too many passes......that is from making a bad throw....deal with it...own it....

If his picks were all in the 4th quarter I would say he is right....and when you are down 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter you are going to throw the ball....and when you are Carson Wentz and have really only mastered the 5 yard completion you are going to throw a lot. Look at the statistics...34 of the 60 passes came in the 4th quarter.....over 40 were in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and the full 4th quarter....that happens when you are losing by 26....funny how that works. That is a statement of fact.....what him saying tells me is that he read too much of his press the first 3 weeks....and someone probably told him when a team trades a lot to get a 1st round pick that pick usually outlasts the coach.

You can speak as slowly as you want, but it won't clear the glaze over your eyes. Now think as slowly as you speak and try to absorb the point. Stop playing the self-righteous genius, even the bar maid knows that game.

I don't remember seeing anyone saying that Wentz is playing like Tom Brady. The point that you're avoiding is not that Wentz has been playing like a rookie and making dumb mistakes, but that for some reason he appears to be frustrated with the coaching in addition to frustration of his play. The point is that he's not a Cutler, not an asshat who blames everyone around him for either his mistakes or the losing. His frustration needs to be managed by the HC and it seems that's maybe who is part of the problem.

Or, maybe I'm wrong and he was just expressing his frustration about losing all those starters on the OL, injured RBs and WRs and dropped passes, fumbles, missed passes and INTs. So, maybe it's not discord in the locker room, maybe it's personal and team frustration that they're not playing the way they think they should be.

The kid is talented, dedicated, competitive and young. He's not perfect and neither is his coach. I'm down on Pederson, but I understand I'm being emotional, that he's a young, inexperienced, rookie coach who will make mistakes and not always own them. The two of them are growing and evolving together and they're both rookies. Maybe I'm wrong in blaming only Pederson, but it's not all on the player either. One thing for certain, the team needs an infusion of talent.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 23 2016, 07:24 AM) *
Or, maybe I'm wrong and he was just expressing his frustration about losing all those starters on the OL, injured RBs and WRs and dropped passes, fumbles, missed passes and INTs. So, maybe it's not discord in the locker room, maybe it's personal and team frustration that they're not playing the way they think they should be.

The kid is talented, dedicated, competitive and young. He's not perfect and neither is his coach. I'm down on Pederson, but I understand I'm being emotional, that he's a young, inexperienced, rookie coach who will make mistakes and not always own them. The two of them are growing and evolving together and they're both rookies. Maybe I'm wrong in blaming only Pederson, but it's not all on the player either. One thing for certain, the team needs an infusion of talent.

For one who hates excuses you love to make them....lol....What team has not lost lots of guys to injury? Please reference previous posts here about the ranking of the Eagles O lIne which has only recently had to serious jumble their o line. SOme teams are ont heir 4 or 5th OT....same with RB. The WRs are still better than last year....and the WRs are not the reason Wentz struggles to throw a good deep ball...that thing many wet themselves over in training camp.

What I said and what is correct is that he is a rookie QB out of a junior program and until he shows he is a top tier QB he needs to shut up and work to get better. It is cute how you ignore the facts of his "60 pass" game....I guess that would blow up your point so it is easy to do. Are you saying 34 of those passes were not in the 4th quarter? Bottom line...he is a rookie and a rookie who had some bright moments to start the year and then crashed back to earth and has been ok at times and bad at others. His job, his only job, is to keep his head down, shut up, and work hard....thats it.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 23 2016, 10:37 AM) *
For one who hates excuses you love to make them....lol....What team has not lost lots of guys to injury? Please reference previous posts here about the ranking of the Eagles O lIne which has only recently had to serious jumble their o line. SOme teams are ont heir 4 or 5th OT....same with RB. The WRs are still better than last year....and the WRs are not the reason Wentz struggles to throw a good deep ball...that thing many wet themselves over in training camp.

What I said and what is correct is that he is a rookie QB out of a junior program and until he shows he is a top tier QB he needs to shut up and work to get better. It is cute how you ignore the facts of his "60 pass" game....I guess that would blow up your point so it is easy to do. Are you saying 34 of those passes were not in the 4th quarter? Bottom line...he is a rookie and a rookie who had some bright moments to start the year and then crashed back to earth and has been ok at times and bad at others. His job, his only job, is to keep his head down, shut up, and work hard....thats it.

I'm not ignoring anything, it's not relevant to my point so why should I talk about it? And in case you're recently vision impaired, I didn't talk about it. I'm not going to waste time and bandwidth trying to argue because more than one point can be "right." Reread my post s-l-o-w-l-y without concern about arguing, and if you have questions, please feel free to ask because you obviously didn't comprehend what was being said. You may find that you're arguing with a point that's not far from your own.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 23 2016, 01:48 PM) *
I'm not ignoring anything, it's not relevant to my point so why should I talk about it? And in case you're recently vision impaired, I didn't talk about it. I'm not going to waste time and bandwidth trying to argue because more than one point can be "right." Reread my post s-l-o-w-l-y without concern about arguing, and if you have questions, please feel free to ask because you obviously didn't comprehend what was being said. You may find that you're arguing with a point that's not far from your own.

What is there to ask? You think the kid is right for saying anything bad about his coach....I think he should wait until he actually does something to win games. If he had done something in the 5 chances he had to tie or win a game when it mattered I would be all for it.....his 2 3 and outs against Dallas still grate on me. He should be focusing on getting better and not throwing the ball high or throwing picks. He is lucky his number of INTs is not significantly higher.

My point is very simple and straight forward...the kid should shut up, work hard and get better. Speaking out of school is silly.
xsv
Totally agree.

He's flash some amazimg ability. But he's not even as good a qb as Perderson was yet. He needs to stfu amd keep improving.

That said, I dont think what he said was all that bad.
Zero
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 23 2016, 09:02 PM) *
But he's not even as good a qb as Perderson was yet.

I can't even come close to agreeing with this if only because of his athletic abilities.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 24 2016, 07:19 AM) *
I can't even come close to agreeing with this if only because of his athletic abilities.

ok...we agree on this......but X is right about the rest....he is not good enough yet to say anything but "I am learning and getting better every day"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.