Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Howie, you gotta go...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
"Since team president Joe Banner was ousted in June of 2012 and Roseman, his protégé, took Banner’s place at the head table, the team is 36-41 with one playoff appearance; a loss, at home..."

Hayes
The Franchise
This sort of institutional problem goes all the way to the owner, but you can’t fire the owner.

That one little sentence is the whole problem. As long as enough content dipshits show up and spend money, Lurie, and thus his minions, aren't going anywhere.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 13 2016, 12:05 PM) *
"Since team president Joe Banner was ousted in June of 2012 and Roseman, his protégé, took Banner’s place at the head table, the team is 36-41 with one playoff appearance; a loss, at home..."

Hayes

It can't go both ways. Either the previous two seasons are Chip Kelly's fault or Roseman's. More importantly, we can't keep flip flopping. We need to give the management team a few years to create their vision. Officially, this is only Year One of the Roseman era.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 13 2016, 06:21 PM) *
It can't go both ways. Either the previous two seasons are Chip Kelly's fault or Roseman's. More importantly, we can't keep flip flopping. We need to give the management team a few years to create their vision. Officially, this is only Year One of the Roseman era.

Chip certainly did his part to undo the few things Howie got right, but beyond the WRs that were jetisoned, there are still too few moves that didn't suck both prior to, and post the Chippa "era."

And if we're going to blame Chip (totally reasonable to do so) at least a portion of that blame has to go to the guy who courted him, & hired him.
Dreagon
This sort of institutional problem goes all the way to the owner, but you can’t fire the owner.

Which is one of the major problems with the NFL today. NFL teams are corporations who put laundry out on the field for us to root for. They have no concept of loyalty to fan or city, and winning is secondary to filling the seats. I sort of envy the Packers their community ownership of the team, and honestly think it should be illegal for the NFL to ban community ownership for other cities like they do...

...wow, did I go off on a tangent or what? Sorry about that. blink.gif
Birdman420
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Dec 14 2016, 02:39 PM) *
Which is one of the major problems with the NFL today. NFL teams are corporations who put laundry out on the field for us to root for. They have no concept of loyalty to fan or city, and winning is secondary to filling the seats. I sort of envy the Packers their community ownership of the team, and honestly think it should be illegal for the NFL to ban community ownership for other cities like they do...

...wow, did I go off on a tangent or what? Sorry about that. blink.gif

Well said, you hit the nail on the head.

NFL ownerships are just big companies looking at statistics and numbers, they don't realize the impact they are having on the fan base they profess to serve. I remember a game that I went to when a fan on t he 50 yard line stood up, looked at lurie in his box(lurie looked back) and the fan screamed fuck you lurie get your shit together up there while waving the middle finger at him. Lurie looked to his right at howie and chuckled with a smile, it made me sick.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Dec 14 2016, 04:54 PM) *
I remember a game that I went to when a fan on t he 50 yard line stood up, looked at lurie in his box(lurie looked back) and the fan screamed fuck you lurie get your shit together up there while waving the middle finger at him. Lurie looked to his right at howie and chuckled with a smile, it made me sick.

Huh? Is this a joke?

I've made my disdain for Lurie and Roseman clear, but exactly what reaction by Lurie would've made you happy? Giving the finger back? Mooning him? Inviting him for a one-on-one discussion to hear his thoughts on the state of the team?

The problem is much deeper than simply owners not caring about their fans. The problem is bad owners don't suffer, for a variety of reasons. The entire structure of the NFL and its deep rooted ties to government have made it a monopoly. It's the same thing as getting mad at Comcast - of course they don't give a shit about you, why would they? Technically you can hurt any company by not buying its products, but that ain't happening.
Joegrane
Remember where we were after last season. Jeff Lurie had to keep the ship from sinking. He was facing a possible prolonged decline into the bottom third of the league like we saw after Buddy Ryan's firing.

Howie had to rebuild to save the team--and maybe his ego.

They signed and extended some core players to avoid the loss of talent that happened after the Ryan firing. Given the situation they had to overpay.

Howie rolled the dice and ended up with a franchise QB--an excellent start to a rebuild. He found a solid Safety and linebacker. We'll have to see what happens to the rookies and DGB.

Howie is certainly safe for one, more likely two years. Since Lurie trusts him, he could still get moved into a different position and a new GM hired.

The coaches will be safe as long as the players are competing and there are signs of development.

The presence of a quality QB should keep the team from disintegrating. Unfortunately the current cap and strong teams in the division will make it harder to attract FAs.
http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/eagle...ree-agency-2017
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/philadelphia-eagles/

QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 13 2016, 12:05 PM) *
Howie, you gotta go...

Zero
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 13 2016, 12:47 PM) *

That one little sentence is the whole problem. As long as enough content dipshits show up and spend money, Lurie, and thus his minions, aren't going anywhere.

Correctamundo. The fans are both the problem and the solution. We are unhealthily addicted and we are enablers. If your girlfriend is cheating on you but she's so damn hot you just can't let her go, it's not so much her fault as it is your's for hanging around and letting her make you a chump. Things won't change because we keep watching, buying jerseys and playing fantasy games. The NFL is the hot bitch who uses us like a pimply-faced geek with a trust fund. We either tell her to fuck off or we enjoy whatever she decides to share.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 16 2016, 06:34 AM) *
Correctamundo. The fans are both the problem and the solution. We are unhealthily addicted and we are enablers. If your girlfriend is cheating on you but she's so damn hot you just can't let her go, it's not so much her fault as it is your's for hanging around and letting her make you a chump. Things won't change because we keep watching, buying jerseys and playing fantasy games. The NFL is the hot bitch who uses us like a pimply-faced geek with a trust fund. We either tell her to fuck off or we enjoy whatever she decides to share.

Is that autobiographical?......lol
rumply
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 16 2016, 07:34 AM) *

Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 16 2016, 10:51 AM) *
Is that autobiographical?......lol

Absolutely. I've got a stable of hot bitches who abuse me regularly. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.