Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The hit on Sproles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Eyrie
Anyone else think that was a case for an ejection?

Sproles was clearly defenceless and their player still took several steps before aiming at Sproles head.

I like watching a tough sport, but that was plain dirty. Yet it only warranted the same penalty as Goode pushing a player over who was out of bounds.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 12 2016, 03:00 PM) *

Sproles was clearly defenceless and their player still took several steps before aiming at Sproles head.

I like watching a tough sport, but that was plain dirty. Yet it only warranted the same penalty as Goode pushing a player over who was out of bounds.

As soon as I saw the hit, I assumed he would be ejected - and later fined and possibly suspended. Where I was watching didn't have audio of the Eagles game, so I assumed he was. Terrible decision by the refs.

If Everett went lower I'd give him a bit more slack, and chalk it up to a no-name player trying to get on ESPN. But he meant to go for the head and knew damn well the ball hadn't even arrived yet.
Rick
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 12 2016, 04:00 PM) *

Unfortunately, that's sorta the rules. But, I agree, I would have liked to have seen him thrown out. I thought they had some discretion for this sort of thing?
Zero
I don't think it was necessarily intentional, just a stupid move by a not-so-bright nobody who's trying to be memorable to his coaches. I thought he should have been ejected because after a head-to-head to Celek a couple of plays earlier it was his second personal foul. I thought that was an automatic suspension.
Joegrane
Oh, I not only think it was intentional, I think it was more likely planned, not only by that one gunner, but by either veteran leaders of their special teams or even higher. He hit Sproles BEFORE the ball arrived!

D. Sproles was the most dangerous Eagle to their playoff chances. By knocking him out along with the Eagle's snappers, they could make it more difficult for the Eagles to come back.

I'd also like to see a slo mo replay of the Ertz block in the back. I wonder if that was an intentional setup as well. We see that all the time in basketball where someone pretends to be fouled and falls to the court.

There were too many strange incidents in the 4th quarter. I think the hit and maybe other incidents, were a dirty, desperate attempt by the Skins to cling onto their fading playoff chances. I think the league should penalize the gunner by benching him for one game. A fine is not nearly enough.

QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 12 2016, 03:44 PM) *
I don't think it was necessarily intentional, just a stupid move by a not-so-bright nobody who's trying to be memorable to his coaches. I thought he should have been ejected because after a head-to-head to Celek a couple of plays earlier it was his second personal foul. I thought that was an automatic suspension.
HobbEs
Oh, it was intentional alright. There's no way you attempt to take someone's head off like that by mistake. He should've been ejected and I hope a hefty fine is coming. With as much talk coming out of the league office about player safety letting this one go would set a bad precedent.

Another thing is this sort of play is becoming a calling card of the Redskins. Seems like every time we play them someone is taking a cheap shot at one of our players. They have to be one of the dirtiest teams in the league.
Pila
Taking out Sproles was absolutely intentional, as Joegrane and other suggested.

I hope they remember that next they meet.
rumply
Pissweak if true, NFL could send a message here that this type of act is no longer acceptable with a suspension. If its to be fine only, it better be a hefty one.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/...en-Sproles.html

Here in Australia we are seeing similar type of acts in Aussie Rules being more & more heavily penalised. Basically any direct hit to the head sees the player responsible suspended for at least a couple of games & something like the vicious hit on Sproles, which results in him missing the rest of the game due to concussion & who knows how many more games, would see them out of the game for a month if not more.

The days of fining players for these acts needs to be finished, no matter the sport being played. They have to miss game time, it's the only way to get through to them (& their coaches/teammates) that we all want the game played hard but not with that type of gutless bullshit.
Rick
QUOTE (rumply @ Dec 13 2016, 10:39 PM) *
Pissweak if true, NFL could send a message here that this type of act is no longer acceptable with a suspension. If its to be fine only, it better be a hefty one.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/...en-Sproles.html

Here in Australia we are seeing similar type of acts in Aussie Rules being more & more heavily penalised. Basically any direct hit to the head sees the player responsible suspended for at least a couple of games & something like the vicious hit on Sproles, which results in him missing the rest of the game due to concussion & who knows how many more games, would see them out of the game for a month if not more.

The days of fining players for these acts needs to be finished, no matter the sport being played. They have to miss game time, it's the only way to get through to them (& their coaches/teammates) that we all want the game played hard but not with that type of gutless bullshit.

If they don't fine/suspend the guy, this is one of the very reasons I've been saying for YEARS Goodell must go. His handling of discipline has been laughable (at best) and really bad for the game.
Joegrane
I agree. What penalty would a hockey player get for a similar hit?

QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 14 2016, 06:27 AM) *
If they don't fine/suspend the guy, this is one of the very reasons I've been saying for YEARS Goodell must go. His handling of discipline has been laughable (at best) and really bad for the game.

Rick
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 14 2016, 06:28 PM) *
I agree. What penalty would a hockey player get for a similar hit?

Not really even relevant even though I understand what you're saying. Totally different sport. Sproles was TOTALLY at the mercy of whatever happened to him at that point. It's been pretty-well established how bad head injuries are for people and how the NFL has a LOT of them. This was a head injury to Sproles. It could have been prevented.

Yes, you'll have people doing cheap shots like this but, if you punish them HARSHLY, people will think twice before doing these things. Eventually, that culture would be pushed out of the NFL. But Goodell continues to dance around discipline issues like this and vet out discipline in such a way that gives players hope they won't actually get in trouble.
rumply
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 14 2016, 06:27 AM) *

yeah Goodell is an amoral embarrassment but that appears to be a qualification for sports administrators world wide...you should take a look at the fucking clowns running Aussie Rules wacko.gif They know how to squeeze every last dollar out of the sport but to what end?? Where will our games be in a decade or two? Sued into oblivion by ex players with brain injuries? Who knows...
Rick
QUOTE (rumply @ Dec 14 2016, 10:34 PM) *
yeah Goodell is an amoral embarrassment but that appears to be a qualification for sports administrators world wide...you should take a look at the fucking clowns running Aussie Rules wacko.gif They know how to squeeze every last dollar out of the sport but to what end?? Where will our games be in a decade or two? Sued into oblivion by ex players with brain injuries? Who knows...

Yup, the owners absolutely LOVE Goodell. He makes them a LOT of money. But, as you point out, it's not good for the long-term health of the sport. I can envision a day, years down the road, where the NFL is no longer around or is so different you wouldn't recognize it due to the head injury issues.
rumply
$48k in fines for his two dirty acts during that game & of course he is appealing. In some sports if you appeal suspensions/fines & lose, the penalty can be increased. I assume that isn't the case in the NFL?
Joegrane
Yes despicable.

QUOTE (rumply @ Dec 17 2016, 07:43 PM) *
$48k in fines for his two dirty acts during that game & of course he is appealing. In some sports if you appeal suspensions/fines & lose, the penalty can be increased. I assume that isn't the case in the NFL?

The Franchise
QUOTE (rumply @ Dec 17 2016, 08:43 PM) *

No, you appeal and make your case to one of two appeals officers. If you win, you win. If you lose, it's the same amount. Interestingly enough, one of the officers is James Thrash, still active with the Redskins.

In my opinion, Harry Douglas's block against Chris Harris was even worse, a blatant attempt to end someone's career. No fine at all for him.
rumply
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 17 2016, 08:36 PM) *
No, you appeal and make your case to one of two appeals officers. If you win, you win. If you lose, it's the same amount. Interestingly enough, one of the officers is James Thrash, still active with the Redskins.

In my opinion, Harry Douglas's block against Chris Harris was even worse, a blatant attempt to end someone's career. No fine at all for him.

Yeah that Douglas block was nuts but somehow legal, should be something that is addressed in the off season.

& I see Sproles will be out this week...
Rick
QUOTE (rumply @ Dec 17 2016, 08:43 PM) *

Yup, two, count 'em TWO illegal hits in ONE GAME and NO suspension. Goodell sucks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.