Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone notice that the death spiral began just after...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
Lane Johnson's suspension? Ever since the line destabilized the O overall has headed south.
Wentz may look like he is regressing, but no rookie QB should be airing it out as much as he is, he may set an all time NFL record for pass attempts by a rook. As long as they don't get him killed before the end of the season I think he looks much better next season. Of course that requires stabilizing the line, getting a real #1 receiver, (I think JM can become a solid 2 with a stud at 1), and a strong RB. Sounds simple, but the Howie and Doug team does not inspire my confidence.

FWIW, as I pointed out how bad Aikman looked in his first season, consider this...Wentz has a 70 QB rating right now and Aikman had the same cumulative QB rating over his first THREE seasons.
Joegrane
That's not surprising. I've been saying that since the L Johnson issue came to light.

The Eagles are 3-1 this year with Johnson and 2-6 without him. In his four NFL seasons, the Eagles are 27-22 when he plays.
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagl...when-he-returns

The good news is that he is due back for a couple of games at the end of the season. Unfortunately it will be against the Giants who might need the game to wrap up a WCard spot. Maybe Dallas won't have anything to play for.

If the offense moves the ball, it will give the D some rest. Hopefully they'll be more effective too.

It would be great to end the season with some positive momentum.

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 7 2016, 03:45 PM) *
Lane Johnson's suspension? Ever since the line destabilized the O overall has headed south.
Wentz may look like he is regressing, but no rookie QB should be airing it out as much as he is, he may set an all time NFL record for pass attempts by a rook. As long as they don't get him killed before the end of the season I think he looks much better next season. Of course that requires stabilizing the line, getting a real #1 receiver, (I think JM can become a solid 2 with a stud at 1), and a strong RB. Sounds simple, but the Howie and Doug team does not inspire my confidence.

FWIW, as I pointed out how bad Aikman looked in his first season, consider this...Wentz has a 70 QB rating right now and Aikman had the same cumulative QB rating over his first THREE seasons.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 7 2016, 03:45 PM) *

You need to adjust those QB ratings for era.

You need to judge Wentz's rank among his peers and Aikman the same. No doubt Aikman was near the bottom, but Wentz is too.

The rules differ today in favor of the passing game.

In Aikmans time you didn't have defenseless WR rules and penalties for breathing on. QB. The rule changes have opened it wide for QB and WR.

My guess is that there is a 15 point inflation of 2016 Passer ratings versus those in 1990.

They are both bad, but their performances are more similar than you think, sad to say.
Eyrie
Everything on offense starts with the OL, so it makes sense that a weakened OL has hurt Wentz's performance.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 8 2016, 02:51 PM) *
Everything on offense starts with the OL, so it makes sense that a weakened OL has hurt Wentz's performance.

an weak O line.....bad WRs....sub par RBs.....they all contribute to every QBs performance, not just a rookie...at the end of the day he is a rookie and is having issues ever since DCs got him on tape.....now it is his turn to make adjustments...that is what good QBs do. Next year we will know just how good he is.
nephillymike
Our Ol has been pretty decent.

7th in the run

16th in the pass

All despite having our best RB hurt most and our best WR on the practice squad until recently blah.gif

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 8 2016, 09:09 PM) *
Our Ol has been pretty decent.

7th in the run

16th in the pass

All despite having our best RB hurt most and our best WR on the practice squad until recently blah.gif

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

lol...they are actually 2 slots better than last year in pass protection...

and the RB situation is as bad as last year.....sad how that can happen 2 years in a row.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 8 2016, 10:03 PM) *

and the RB situation is as bad as last year.....sad how that can happen 2 years in a row.

And when you think of how much we've had to throw the ball, takes the suspense out of it, 16th in pass protection is actually pretty good.

I am disappointed in Mathews injuries. He was limping in practice still.

Smallwood is just OK.

I think Barner has some missability, and big play capability. I would use him more.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 8 2016, 10:03 PM) *

And when you think of how much we've had to throw the ball, takes the suspense out of it, 16th in pass protection is actually pretty good.

Smallwood is just OK.

I think Barner has some missability, and big play capability. I would use him more.
Joegrane
I agree about Smallwood. He is pretty much the guy I saw in college film shortly after they drafted him. He gets to the line quickly, takes what his blockers give him, does not dance around. When in space he sets up his blockers effectivelyt, does not make many defenders miss and is not going to run over anyone or push the pile. He has good speed and hands but is a liability in blitz pickup. He is a #2 or #3 RB.

I also am surprised we have not seen more of Barner in the backfield.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 8 2016, 10:25 PM) *

Smallwood is just OK.

The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 8 2016, 10:25 PM) *

Smallwood is just OK.

We don't have superstar RB's, but they're all having pretty solid seasons all things considered, and have been reliable when we actually run the ball. Last Sunday was a disaster all around.
JeeQ
While we go into a third straight season looking for a RB LeSean McCoy is sitting at 1000+ yards, 5.5 YPC, and 10 TDs for the Bills...

At least we got one interception out of Kiko Alonso for him, right?

Sorry guys... it still burns my soul sad.gif

With that said I can't wait to see DeSean Jackson this Sunday

At least we got... well we didn't anything for him; we just released him boohoo.gif
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 9 2016, 04:03 PM) *
While we go into a third straight season looking for a RB LeSean McCoy is sitting at 1000+ yards, 5.5 YPC, and 10 TDs for the Bills...

A couple things of note:
- McCoy hasn't played a full season since he left Philly.
- McCoy's Bills are sitting at .500 for the second straight season.

I don't miss him.

Believe it or not Kiko leads (a decent) MIA in tackles and assists. He's a heck of a player, just can't stay healthy. Considering that Kiko was part of the package that eventually led to the acquisition of our franchise QB, I would do that trade again and again.

With that said I can't wait to see DeSean Jackson...

If the rumors serve correctly you'll get your wish and one trick may be an Eagle next season.
The Franchise
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 9 2016, 04:03 PM) *

Sorry guys... it still burns my soul sad.gif

With that said I can't wait to see DeSean Jackson this Sunday

At least we got... well we didn't anything for him; we just released him boohoo.gif

On the bright side, Chip Kelly is being humiliated every week in front of the planet. His name will be used as a synonym for fraud/bust coaches for decades to come.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.