Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am concerned about Pederson
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Up until this last week, I was OK with the job he has done.

He seemed comfortable in his own skin, the job didn't appear too big for him.

This week, not so much.

Wasting the last challenge on a reversal that would gain 2 yards. WTF?

When your WR's suck, and your best WR is hobbled, and you proceed to have your rookie QB drop back 44 times. And you have him throw a long pass the next play after getting crushed not allowing him any time to recover and the result is an INT.

Then after the game, you talk about rebuilding and working hard, the losers lament. For a while I thought I was going to hear a Kotitean "we left nothing in the locker room" mantra.

Then on aThursday press conference, the whole discussion about if Agholar will play or not. All the unnecessary dancing around it. Doug it was clear to those listening that if Matthews is healthy enough to play well, that Agholar will sit out.

The overall play calling and continuing Andy Reidish pass happiness, with the rookie.

Mike Lombardi was on the other day and said this offense is the Reid KC offense with little adjustments.

Doug, I don't think Jeffrey put out the highest in the NFL guaranteed money in new deals this year to a bunch of underachieving newly minted multi millionaires, for you to utter wait until next year coach speak.

You need to let everyone in the organization know that losses are not acceptable. No pussying out. Stop with the loser mentality press conferences. That doesn't sell in this Super Bowless city.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 3 2016, 09:45 PM) *
Up until this last week, I was OK with the job he has done.

He seemed comfortable in his own skin, the job didn't appear too big for him.

This week, not so much.

Wasting the last challenge on a reversal that would gain 2 yards. WTF?

When your WR's suck, and your best WR is hobbled, and you proceed to have your rookie QB drop back 44 times. And you have him throw a long pass the next play after getting crushed not allowing him any time to recover and the result is an INT.

Then after the game, you talk about rebuilding and working hard, the losers lament. For a while I thought I was going to hear a Kotitean "we left nothing in the locker room" mantra.

Then on aThursday press conference, the whole discussion about if Agholar will play or not. All the unnecessary dancing around it. Doug it was clear to those listening that if Matthews is healthy enough to play well, that Agholar will sit out.

The overall play calling and continuing Andy Reidish pass happiness, with the rookie.

Mike Lombardi was on the other day and said this offense is the Reid KC offense with little adjustments.

Doug, I don't think Jeffrey put out the highest in the NFL guaranteed money in new deals this year to a bunch of underachieving newly minted multi millionaires, for you to utter wait until next year coach speak.

You need to let everyone in the organization know that losses are not acceptable. No pussying out. Stop with the loser mentality press conferences. That doesn't sell in this Super Bowless city.

I personally think Doug was the only guy who was willing to work with Howie as GM. Lurie Ok'd it because he felt comfortable going back to the 'player's' coach style that Big Red had after cold cruel Chipster. Well they are all warm and fuzzy, and they suck. I just don't think DP has any ideas beyond what he has shown and other teams have caught up to his game plan. I was duped by the first three games, but the last eight seem more like what I expected. I know he is here for at least another year, we'll see if he grows into the job, but I am doubting it. For all Reid's faults, he appeared to have a firmer grasp on leading a team, even in his first year, than I have seen from Pedey. Not overly optimistic at this point.
Zero
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 4 2016, 01:56 AM) *
I personally think Doug was the only guy who was willing to work with Howie as GM. Lurie Ok'd it because he felt comfortable going back to the 'player's' coach style that Big Red had after cold cruel Chipster. Well they are all warm and fuzzy, and they suck. I just don't think DP has any ideas beyond what he has shown and other teams have caught up to his game plan. I was duped by the first three games, but the last eight seem more like what I expected. I know he is here for at least another year, we'll see if he grows into the job, but I am doubting it. For all Reid's faults, he appeared to have a firmer grasp on leading a team, even in his first year, than I have seen from Pedey. Not overly optimistic at this point.

I truly hope you're wrong about him being the only guy who'd take the job, but there's probably some truth to it. I think the anti-Chip coach was the main impetus though, Lurie was obviously angered by what he saw in his chosen genius and he knows Pederson as a person. Maybe it was the combination of the two that gave us DP.

I'm afraid that the guy is the same coach as he was a QB. I can't imagine him being replaced next year, and in isolated objectivity, he should be given another year to prove he can learn from his first experience. I can make lots of arguments why he should be given that chance (inexperience, player talent, rookie QB, injuries, LJ, etc.) but I don't believe any of them are valid. I think it will be a miracle if he is ever a good coach. He doesn't appear to have the demeanor.

Saying that, I did hear on the radio that he supposedly gave the team a stern message that jobs were on the line, which sounds like an attempt to add fire to a milktoast personality. I was surprised by his first few games, but I'm back to thinking that he was about the worst hire a team could ever make for HC, and not just because the team isn't winning. All the reasons Mikey listed, he doesn't seem to have control over the team. Watching GLew blast Agholor was interesting, but DP should have called a timeout and should have had bulging eyeballs, red face and sprayed spittle all over the player when he came to the sideline.

A good guy, maybe a decent position coach but not a HC, IMO. The sad part is that Wentz will have to suffer another critical growth year with him and the result could place him on that dreaded QB failure list.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 4 2016, 07:11 AM) *
I truly hope you're wrong about him being the only guy who'd take the job, but there's probably some truth to it. I think the anti-Chip coach was the main impetus though, Lurie was obviously angered by what he saw in his chosen genius and he knows Pederson as a person. Maybe it was the combination of the two that gave us DP.

I'm afraid that the guy is the same coach as he was a QB. I can't imagine him being replaced next year, and in isolated objectivity, he should be given another year to prove he can learn from his first experience. I can make lots of arguments why he should be given that chance (inexperience, player talent, rookie QB, injuries, LJ, etc.) but I don't believe any of them are valid. I think it will be a miracle if he is ever a good coach. He doesn't appear to have the demeanor.

Saying that, I did hear on the radio that he supposedly gave the team a stern message that jobs were on the line, which sounds like an attempt to add fire to a milktoast personality. I was surprised by his first few games, but I'm back to thinking that he was about the worst hire a team could ever make for HC, and not just because the team isn't winning. All the reasons Mikey listed, he doesn't seem to have control over the team. Watching GLew blast Agholor was interesting, but DP should have called a timeout and should have had bulging eyeballs, red face and sprayed spittle all over the player when he came to the sideline.

A good guy, maybe a decent position coach but not a HC, IMO. The sad part is that Wentz will have to suffer another critical growth year with him and the result could place him on that dreaded QB failure list.

Interesting take....one could say that the reasons you use could be transferred tot he other side...you could say that the first few games of QB play were surprising but the last 8 were more indicative of what to expect. Many of his losses were games against strong opponents and were games where the Eagles had a chance to tie or win the game in the fourth quarter and it came up empty in the hands of the QB. Now I can understand that the QB is a rookie but it would be disingenuous to say it is not a concern that so many chances came up empty. You would think that one chance would come up with success. Instead, they, as well as several end of halves were terrible efforts.

AT the end of the day I think both the coach and the QB get a pass this year.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 4 2016, 01:56 AM) *
I personally think Doug was the only guy who was willing to work with Howie as GM.

this is my feeling as well. i also think maybe DP was the only coach Howie was willing to work with

remember this was his first hire after bringing in Chip and having his dream job torn away from him. DP is the anti-Chip for several reasons, but a significant one is that DP is not a strong NFL presence that would challenge Howie for control of the team. DP's milquetoast routine is exactly what Howie needed and he was an easy sell to Lurie

the question for those who are tiring of DP is, do you think Howie is comfortable enough as the GM to bring in a well respected and sought after HC? that strong NFL presence that DP isnt? if not, DP is the model for every HC to come
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 4 2016, 10:39 AM) *
Interesting take....one could say that the reasons you use could be transferred tot he other side...you could say that the first few games of QB play were surprising but the last 8 were more indicative of what to expect. Many of his losses were games against strong opponents and were games where the Eagles had a chance to tie or win the game in the fourth quarter and it came up empty in the hands of the QB. Now I can understand that the QB is a rookie but it would be disingenuous to say it is not a concern that so many chances came up empty. You would think that one chance would come up with success. Instead, they, as well as several end of halves were terrible efforts.

AT the end of the day I think both the coach and the QB get a pass this year.

Agreed. It's all speculation and with things like this I'll enjoy being wrong.
xsv
I'm ok with him, for now. He brought some stability back. We're mostly in every game with a darth of talent everywhere. Most positions are over achieving. He's got a good staff, and Howie has been making great moves. I'd like to see what happens next year, and evaluate him them.

Eyrie
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 4 2016, 05:24 PM) *
I'm ok with him, for now. He brought some stability back. We're mostly in every game with a darth of talent everywhere. Most positions are over achieving. He's got a good staff, and Howie has been making great moves. I'd like to see what happens next year, and evaluate him them.

I'd agree with this.

Pederson has made mistakes this year, so let's see how he learns from them. If we're still discussing his struggles next December then we know he'll be gone at the end of the season so we'll also be discussing who to replace him with.
Phits
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 4 2016, 12:24 PM) *

Yep. I would hold off until year 3 before putting his feet to the fire. In spite of our early season success, this team seems to be on pace to finish where we should. This is a team in transition and rebuild mode.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.