Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LJ's lawsuit
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
If I'm reading this correctly, Johnson is essentially accusing the NFL and NFLPA of what I interpret as collusion. This is an interesting read, if these accusations have merit I don't blame LJ for suing.
According to Patrick Hoban, one of Zashin’s colleagues, the unfair labor practice charge against the NFL was filed because Johnson’s camp feels the NFL withheld information they are legally required to disclose. Hoban noted there is a provision in the performance-enhancing substances (“PES”) policy detailing how there must be a neutral and independent person who verifies laboratory testing results.

But when no such thing occurred in Johnson’s case and Johnson’s team asked why, the NFL said they have an agreement with the NFLPA that they wouldn’t do so and that they have lab directors review their own test results. When Johnson’s team asked for a copy of that agreement, the NFL refused to hand it over.
“What we faced was a situation where you’d request information from the NFL Players Association and the NFL Players Association said, ‘Oh, well, go get it from the NFL,'” Zashin said. “The NFL would say, ‘Go get it from the NFL Players Association.’ And so you end up playing this roundabout game, such that the player is denied his rights under the PES policy itself.”

Linc ...

Yes, this is probably a diversion. sad.gif
Eyrie
And if he hadn't been so stupid, having already been caught once, then he wouldn't have been suspended in the first place.
D Rock
Bullshit.

The guy took a supplement that was listed on an "approved list of supplements" the NFLPA provided to players.

I get that players are ultimately responsible for what they put in to their bodies, but this wasn't a case of guy taking HGH or shooting roids into his ass.

Why bother to put an "approved list" out at all, if it's going to include things banned by the league?

Lane got jobbed as far as I'm concerned. The NFLPA is a joke.
Rick
What was the substance he popped positive for? I keep hearing it was in an approved supplement but I don't believe I've read what it was.
D Rock
It was a dietary supplement, the sort of crap all these meat heads take. They never reported which specific brand it was,(liability issues no doubt) but it apparently contained a banned "peptide" that was not listed on the label's ingredients, and again.... the supplement was on the list of "approved supplements" provided to players BY THE NFLPA.

nephillymike
I saw that too and was going to post the link.

If mostly true, the NFL players will have the league by the balls.

Those are some serious accusations that if mostly true will have big repercussions for the league and NFLPA.

If the substance was not on the ingredients
And
It was on an approved list
And
He had some of the batch left that had the substance in it

At a minimum, he has a decent lawsuit against the supplement company.

If most of the other issues are true, the punitive penalties for collusion will be astronomical.

I suspect he may not have any of the batch left.

If he does, look out.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 30 2016, 08:33 PM) *
I saw that too and was going to post the link.

If mostly true, the NFL players will have the league by the balls.

Those are some serious accusations that if mostly true will have big repercussions for the league and NFLPA.

If the substance was not on the ingredients
And
It was on an approved list
And
He had some of the batch left that had the substance in it

At a minimum, he has a decent lawsuit against the supplement company.

If most of the other issues are true, the punitive penalties for collusion will be astronomical.

I suspect he may not have any of the batch left.

If he does, look out.

I find it beyond incredible, audacious and arrogant that they would refuse to provide him with documentation purportedly included in the contract and that the union essentially refused to represent him. I'm beyond my realm with legal interpretation, but I wonder if this could affect the NFL's exemption from antitrust laws.
D Rock
Honestly, with what we know via "reports", I was surprised his appeal went as badly as it did. From what I read, it sounds like a kangaroo-court. The report I read said his representation was permitted to utter two words, one of which was "hello."

The NFLPA, like too many of today's "organized labor" groups, is more concerned with it's own self preservation, than with representing their charges.

Politically, you'd be hard pressed to find many to my left. But, I'm fully disgusted with what I see from organized labour in Amerikkka today. As a member of BMI, ASCAP, IATSI, NABAT, AFM, AES, WGA, the Academies for both film and television, and more ... my member ship in each is due to either a requirement for a gig, a resume' necessity, or a personal PR move. They take my $$$, but give me very little in return in the fiscal realm. It's literally a pay-to-play situation.

This isn't intended to push this thread to the G&G. Just putting a personal perspective on what I see as an NFLPA fully derelict in it's duty to it's members.
Rick
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 30 2016, 07:09 PM) *
It was a dietary supplement, the sort of crap all these meat heads take. They never reported which specific brand it was,(liability issues no doubt) but it apparently contained a banned "peptide" that was not listed on the label's ingredients, and again.... the supplement was on the list of "approved supplements" provided to players BY THE NFLPA.

But I'd still like to know what it was. This is the part that is a little suspect IMO.

Problem is, whenever one of these, "my supplement was tainted," claims these guys make when caught gets old. It's ironic that it's always tainted with something which is actually considered performance-enhancing (i.e. there is some evidence that it does actually do something which could be good for performance) and, in many cases actually illegal. These things are not cheap so I find it very difficult to believe these companies are slipping them into their supplements.

When you've been caught once before--as is the case with LJ--you'd think they would be doubly-sure they weren't taking anything even remotely dangerous. Read the ingredients. It is my understanding that he's not saying this ingredient wasn't listed on the package. He's just arguing it was on the NFL's ok list.

I understand his side but, at the end of the day, he is responsible for what he puts into his body. Not saying I have no compassion for him.

Honestly, the whole, "performance-enhancing," moniker is a joke. So, you can't take things which enhance your performance. But it's ok to take pain meds. Clay Matthews had to get pain meds injected in order to continue to play the other night. Why is this not considered performance-enhancing? If he didn't have it, he wouldn't have been able to play. How is that not enhancing his performance?

Basically, if they're going to ban performance-enhancing drugs, then ban pain meds as well.

And I don't think there is any doubt the NFL holds a kangaroo court every time they discipline someone. It's sad but it's a fact of life in the NFL. All the more reason for guys like LJ to not just trust an app the NFL has for something so important.
Zero
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 1 2016, 01:47 AM) *
Honestly, with what we know via "reports", I was surprised his appeal went as badly as it did. From what I read, it sounds like a kangaroo-court. The report I read said his representation was permitted to utter two words, one of which was "hello."

The NFLPA, like too many of today's "organized labor" groups, is more concerned with it's own self preservation, than with representing their charges.

Politically, you'd be hard pressed to find many to my left. But, I'm fully disgusted with what I see from organized labour in America today. As a member of BMI, ASCAP, IATSI, NABAT, AFM, AES, WGA, the Academies for both film and television, and more ... my member ship in each is due to either a requirement for a gig, a resume' necessity, or a personal PR move. They take my $$$, but give me very little in return in the fiscal realm. It's literally a pay-to-play situation.

This isn't intended to push this thread to the G&G. Just putting a personal perspective on what I see as an NFLPA fully derelict in it's duty to it's members.
I agree enthusiastically!

I used to jointly represent unions and management on an administrative level, and although there were some union leaders who were true to their responsibilities of representing the workers, they were a minority. Most union leaders I was associated with were equal to or worse than the businessmen they sat across from who were more interested in profit than they were in their workers.

This also isn't intended to drive the discussion to G&G, but I find that our government operates in much the same fashion. What frustrates me beyond description is in both cases it's not as much what they do and how they accomplish it as it is that they do it so transparently. And yet "we" allow it to happen, many of us not only accepting it, but enabling the practice.

If what we are reading is true, the players, dues-paying members of the NFLPA, are apparently more interested their paychecks and fame than they are in standing against greed and corruption. Our lives are immensely more pleasant and less stressful if we ignore or turn away from these things believing it doesn't affect us; believing it until we are LJ getting screwed or a political dissident imprisoned in Cuba. We are acting like the bystanders on a subway platform, waiting for the train while someone else is getting mugged.

If this does go to G&G, my apologies.
D Rock
Spot on, Z. I agree 100%.

Zero
This plus the gawdawful refereeing we're seeing and people wonder why the NFL is dropping in ratings. Vikes losing last night helps our draft position, but he was clearly whacked in the face at the end of the game.

Goodell really needs to be replaced.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 2 2016, 09:12 AM) *
This plus the gawdawful refereeing we're seeing and people wonder why the NFL is dropping in ratings. Vikes losing last night helps our draft position, but he was clearly whacked in the face at the end of the game.

Goodell really needs to be replaced.

Exactly. I've been saying Goodell sucks for years. Problem is, he's GREAT for the owners. So he's not going anywhere...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.