Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A monumental event to occur this Thursday.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
The annual tradition in my family that I have observed for over thirty years is about to be broken.

Every year we eat the big turkey dinner, whether home or at a relatives, finish up around 4:00. The women congregate in the dining room - kitchen area, drinking coffee or tea, perhaps dabbling in dessert.

The men gather in the family room-living room, with beer in hand, perhaps unbutton the jeans to allow for the turkey to settle and get ready to partake in the annual ritual:

Rooting for our second favorite team as if our well being depended on it:

Whoever is playing the Cowboys!

Whether it be the Eagles themselves beating the Cowboys in the Bounty Bowl, or the Sanchez Show a few years ago, or the Leon Lett Bowl to cheer me up while my wife was in the hospital, or the Randy Moss show, there was a constant I could count on. There would be someone for me to cheer for as if they were my own.

This year the football gods have shifted the earth's axis.

In order to serve the common good, I need to hope for a Cowboys win vs the Skins to drop them closer to our reach.

I have never hoped for a Cowboys win.

Ever.

Is this like a mortal sin where I am doomed to hell?

Or is it a venial sin where a few Our Fathers will get me out of harms way?

Need help and counsel.

In unchartered waters.

What to do?

Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 21 2016, 09:05 PM) *
What to do?

Hunker down and find shelter. It's the end of the world as you know it.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 21 2016, 09:45 PM) *
Hunker down and find shelter. It's the end of the world as you know it.

Blah! biggrin.gif
Dreagon
I should warn you, we haven't been all that good on Thanksgiving the past ten years. The Redskins are looking hot, and we're coming off a rough game against the Ravens. And instead of trying to bash through a tough defense, we're going to be trying to keep up with a hot offense. I actually consider us underdogs in this one. But it should be a high scoring affair.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Nov 22 2016, 02:27 AM) *
I should warn you, we haven't been all that good on Thanksgiving the past ten years. The Redskins are looking hot, and we're coming off a rough game against the Ravens. And instead of trying to bash through a tough defense, we're going to be trying to keep up with a hot offense. I actually consider us underdogs in this one. But it should be a high scoring affair.

I fully expect you guys to lay an egg just to piss me off!

I just hope you guys have enough hatred of your #1 rivalry Skins to shake off the complacency and get the W.

A win by the Skins just may be the nail in any playoff chances we have.
Zero
I haven't researched it, but what happens with a tie?
eagleaddict
Is it wrong to cheer for injuries? I mean the nagging variety, nothing too painful or severe. Just the kind that reduces effectiveness.
The Franchise
QUOTE (eagleaddict @ Nov 22 2016, 11:17 AM) *
Is it wrong to cheer for injuries? I mean the nagging variety, nothing too painful or severe. Just the kind that reduces effectiveness.

Personally, I hope Prescott and Bryant get the Leonard Weaver injury. And no, I don't feel the slightest bit bad about saying that.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 22 2016, 02:05 AM) *
In order to serve the common good, I need to hope for a Cowboys win vs the Skins to drop them closer to our reach.

I think it's time that the admins kicked your Dallas-loving ass off this board! tongue.gif

I'll only be happy if both Dallas and Washington lose. Oh, and the Giants as well.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 22 2016, 05:14 AM) *
I fully expect you guys to lay an egg just to piss me off!

I just hope you guys have enough hatred of your #1 rivalry Skins to shake off the complacency and get the W.

A win by the Skins just may be the nail in any playoff chances we have.

Personally, I think if we are going to win this then it needs to be on the ground. Our rushing game is pretty good, and Washington's running defense isn't so good, so what Garrett might try to do is simply keep Washington's offense off the field by having us stay on the ground. If we can eat up a lot of time on long drives that way, that could cut their score down. I'd rather us try that than get in a shootout with them.

Of course, I expect Washington to see that coming and stack the box on us. Even though they know we will make them pay for that through the air, that will still speed up the tempo of the game which is what they are going to want.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Nov 22 2016, 04:19 PM) *
Personally, I think if we are going to win this then it needs to be on the ground. Our rushing game is pretty good, and Washington's running defense isn't so good, so what Garrett might try to do is simply keep Washington's offense off the field by having us stay on the ground. If we can eat up a lot of time on long drives that way, that could cut their score down. I'd rather us try that than get in a shootout with them.

Of course, I expect Washington to see that coming and stack the box on us. Even though they know we will make them pay for that through the air, that will still speed up the tempo of the game which is what they are going to want.

Well, I guess I called that one sorta right, even if the end result was wrong.

Anyway, you guys are now only half a game back from Wash and still get to play them again.

As far as the Dallas/Wash rivalry goes, I think it's been so long since either team was good at the same time that the young players and fans of today just don't feel it. Even for us old fans, it's nothing like back in the day.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Nov 25 2016, 09:01 PM) *
Well, I guess I called that one sorta right, even if the end result was wrong.

Anyway, you guys are now only half a game back from Wash and still get to play them again.

As far as the Dallas/Wash rivalry goes, I think it's been so long since either team was good at the same time that the young players and fans of today just don't feel it. Even for us old fans, it's nothing like back in the day.

I remember reading somewhere that our historic rivalry was with the Giants but in all my time as an Eagles fan it's always been Dallas.

I suspect that's a subconscious (because we'd never admit it) sign of respect for how successful your team has been, particularly in the 70s and 90s. It's made you a target to beat both when playing you and for achievements.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 26 2016, 06:04 AM) *
I suspect that's a subconscious (because we'd never admit it) sign of respect for how successful your team has been, particularly in the 70s and 90s.

No, it's not. The Cowboys were the first I remember who had players who pushed their winning in your face at a time when most players around league were more subdued with success. Butch Johnson and the California quake. But the most annoying was the local herd who mimicked that attitude by wearing the blue star attire. I've always been one who believes you support the local team. I respect Cowboy fans from the greater Dallas area, Giants fans from the greater NY area, etc. That's where the rivalry is, not from bandwagon fans who want to find some ignoble glory in cheering for a winning team from a distant city they've never seen.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 26 2016, 11:03 AM) *
No, it's not. The Cowboys were the first I remember who had players who pushed their winning in your face at a time when most players around league were more subdued with success. Butch Johnson and the California quake. But the most annoying was the local herd who mimicked that attitude by wearing the blue star attire. I've always been one who believes you support the local team. I respect Cowboy fans from the greater Dallas area, Giants fans from the greater NY area, etc. That's where the rivalry is, not from bandwagon fans who want to find some ignoble glory in cheering for a winning team from a distant city they've never seen.

Fair enough, although the bit in bold hits a little too close to home here! Does a long weekend count?
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 26 2016, 12:47 PM) *
[/b]Fair enough, although the bit in bold hits a little too close to home here! Does a long weekend count?
Hahaha. Obviously you're not bandwagon following a winning team. laugh.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 26 2016, 06:07 PM) *
Hahaha. Obviously you're not bandwagon following a winning team. laugh.gif

I live in hope ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.