Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: As much as I hate the Cowboys
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Compare these two teams, the Cowboyswith Prescott, his OL, Bryant and Elliot tells the story of what's happening to Wentz. If this team had a player close to Bryant in reliability and fight we'd have a different QB and a different offense. No doubt the defense needs help in the secondary, major help but it's not nearly as important as a WR who will be consistently reliable and have the attitude to positively affect the other receivers.

If they were to move on from Barwin, Peters, Kelce and Matthews they'd add almost $25 mil to their cap giving them about $30 mil total. I'd rather see them renegotiate Peters but Barwin will be 31 playing a position where they actually have depth. Kelce is up and down and at $6.2 mil may be able to hang on another year.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 21 2016, 09:56 AM) *
Compare these two teams, the Cowboyswith Prescott, his OL, Bryant and Elliot tells the story of what's happening to Wentz. If this team had a player close to Bryant in reliability and fight we'd have a different QB and a different offense. No doubt the defense needs help in the secondary, major help but it's not nearly as important as a WR who will be consistently reliable and have the attitude to positively affect the other receivers.

If they were to move on from Barwin, Peters, Kelce and Matthews they'd add almost $25 mil to their cap giving them about $30 mil total. I'd rather see them renegotiate Peters but Barwin will be 31 playing a position where they actually have depth. Kelce is up and down and at $6.2 mil may be able to hang on another year.

Beasley is pretty good, too. And what about that TE they've got... wink.gif

The thing that strikes me watching their games--I've seen a few of them--is the number of contested passes their receivers catch. Honestly, I can't remember the last time an Eagles' receiver (ANY receiver) caught a contested pass. Hell, they have problem catching uncontested passes.

Prescott is good for sure but much of that is due to the situation he is on. He's got on of the best OLs in the game. He's got at least 2 Pro Bowl-caliber receivers. He's got the best RB in the game. Throw in some talent (like Prescott has) and this is what you can have. I hope the Eagles are watching this and realizing they need to get players to compliment Wentz.
JeeQ
The Cowboys are my current favorite to make the Super Bowl in the NFC

Considering they're doing it with a 4th round rookie QB and 1st round rookie RB... Well... no words
Dreagon
I would argue that Beasley and Witten have had more to do with Dak's development and success than Bryant. They were both reliable targets Dak could trust, and I don't think it was mere circumstance that Bryant only got one target on his first game back from injury. Bryant and Prescott have now gotten more on the same page with each other. But I still think it was having sure-handed "security blankets" to throw to that helped make Dak, even if neither do a whole lot after the catch. The offensive line and Elliot haven't hurt either.
Rick
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Nov 21 2016, 01:19 PM) *
I would argue that Beasley and Witten have had more to do with Dak's development and success than Bryant. They were both reliable targets Dak could trust, and I don't think it was mere circumstance that Bryant only got one target on his first game back from injury. Bryant and Prescott have now gotten more on the same page with each other. But I still think it was having sure-handed "security blankets" to throw to that helped make Dak, even if neither do a whole lot after the catch. The offensive line and Elliot haven't hurt either.

Absolutely. Byrant being out kept them from getting in sync. It certainly looks like that's starting to happen now.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Nov 21 2016, 01:19 PM) *

No doubt, but my point was what Wentz would benefit from most and I think that would be a stud WR he can count on to go along with a decent OL, 3 decent TEs, 3 decent RBs and Matthews.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 21 2016, 01:52 PM) *
No doubt, but my point was what Wentz would benefit from most and I think that would be a stud WR he can count on to go along with a decent OL, 3 decent TEs, 3 decent RBs and Matthews.

Actually, I think he would benefit most from a "security blanket". If anything can screw up a young quarterback. it's trust issues. If I were your GM, my first priority would be to get him a receiver or tight end who can simply do two things. Get open, and catch what's thrown at him.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Nov 21 2016, 04:30 PM) *
Actually, I think he would benefit most from a "security blanket". If anything can screw up a young quarterback. it's trust issues. If I were your GM, my first priority would be to get him a receiver or tight end who can simply do two things. Get open, and catch what's thrown at him.

Isn't that what a stud does?
Dreagon
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 21 2016, 02:36 PM) *
Isn't that what a stud does?

I think most people consider a "stud" to be somebody who is a touchdown threat every play (Randy Moss, Megatron). I would say Beasley is the polar opposite of a stud. He's a tiny little guy who is really quick inside and catches what he touches. He seldom goes far after the catch, and watching him try to block is kinda scary.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Nov 21 2016, 04:40 PM) *
I think most people consider a "stud" to be somebody who is a touchdown threat every play (Randy Moss, Megatron). I would say Beasley is the polar opposite of a stud. He's a tiny little guy who is really quick inside and catches what he touches. He seldom goes far after the catch, and watching him try to block is kinda scary.

Point taken, but someone who gets open and catches the ball would be a stud on this team. mad.gif
eagleaddict
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 21 2016, 05:04 PM) *
Point taken, but someone who gets open and catches the ball would be a stud on this team. mad.gif

Sproles is that security blanket
Zero
QUOTE (eagleaddict @ Nov 21 2016, 07:12 PM) *
Sproles is that security blanket

He's dropped his share of easies.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 21 2016, 07:18 PM) *
He's dropped his share of easies.

He's been doing that for years now.
TedKord
Don't get me wrong, Prescott is talented, but he looks better than he is because of the talent around him. Now Elliot, that kids is something special. The way he keeps driving forward after contact, his ability to cut and adjust to holes.

The Cowboys hit on a really special combination of players, and they work within their talent zones. I don't think they're quite Super Bowl Champs this year, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they were.
Dreagon
QUOTE (TedKord @ Nov 29 2016, 06:21 PM) *
Don't get me wrong, Prescott is talented, but he looks better than he is because of the talent around him. Now Elliot, that kids is something special. The way he keeps driving forward after contact, his ability to cut and adjust to holes.

The Cowboys hit on a really special combination of players, and they work within their talent zones. I don't think they're quite Super Bowl Champs this year, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they were.

Dak is kind of like Parcell's "bus driver". He's not as exciting and fun to watch as Romo was, but he does a pretty good job of doing what needs to be done. And I agree, having the targets and protection he does makes that easier. I actually feel bad for Romo because the offense finally gets all these pieces in place and he doesn't get to be a part of it.

I don't think we're quite Super Bowl Champs either. We're winning, but we're not really dominating anybody out there. On the other hand, last night was exactly the type of game we used to lose at the end, so that's a big improvement. I do think we're a couple of defensive pieces away from being a certain Super Bowl contender...but...the NFC is looking awful flaky this year, without the usual one or two powerhouse teams that we would normally have to get through. Seattle is the closest thing to that, and the Giants appear to revving up for one of those late season runs they do once every four or five years. So I could see us making the Super Bowl, but I could also see us being one-and-done. Right now, I think pretty much any team that makes the NFC playoffs has a reasonable chance of going all the way.
Rick
QUOTE (TedKord @ Nov 29 2016, 08:21 PM) *

I agree. I do believe, unless Elliot gets smart, he will have a very short career. Your body can't take that punishment for very long. They need to teach him to not drive towards contact ALL of the time. There is a time and a place.

Dak is very good and may wind up being great. He is definitely helped by the team around him--one of the best offensive lines, best RB, great receivers, etc.--but he's taking advantage of all of that and, more importantly, he doesn't make mistakes. That combination will win you a LOT of games.

I still hate the Cowboys though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.