Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawk in final 26, McNabb not
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Anyone else?

I don't think Dawk makes it this year. He will get in by 2019. 3 year wait.

I think McNabb is not eliminated but gets to be voted into the semis in the future. I don't think he'll make it.
D Rock
Supa5 does not belong in the HOF. (period)
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 18 2016, 04:32 PM) *
Supa5 does not belong in the HOF. (period)

I was a McNabb fan, but even when he was here I didn't think he would make the HoF and now that his career is over that is still the case.

Dawkins however has to get in. It's just a case of when.
Joegrane
I agree.

Dawk was an extraordinary leader too, unlike McNabb.

Dawk also had some success after leaving Philly and the great J Johnson. McNabb did not.

I am grateful for #5 ( I'm old enough to remember the dark years before him ); however he was not quite HoF caliber. Dawk was. He is my all-time favorite Eagle, even though Reggie White was more dominant.

Did you catch the video where he was choked up describing the letters from people who said loved ones were buried in his jersey?

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 18 2016, 03:20 PM) *
I was a McNabb fan, but even when he was here I didn't think he would make the HoF and now that his career is over that is still the case.

Dawkins however has to get in. It's just a case of when.

nephillymike
Yes, that must be the ultimate honor as an athlete, that a person thinks that much of you to do that.

It goes way beyond just football skill.

Me and my two boys all wear our Dawks on game days.

Two in the black, one in the green.

He's my all-time favorite Philadelphia athlete.

He just embodies what an athlete should be.
Phits
The biggest knock against Dawkins is that he got the glory for the teams success but none of the blame for the shortcomings. His play in Philly at the end had deterioratedone to the point that he seemed more of a liability. Once he got more moolah he found his second wind.
Joegrane
I did not follow his role in Denver. Was it the same as his role under J Johnson?

QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 18 2016, 08:36 PM) *
The biggest knock against Dawkins is that he got the glory for the teams success but none of the blame for the shortcomings. His play in Philly at the end had deterioratedone to the point that he seemed more of a liability. Once he got more moolah he found his second wind.

Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 19 2016, 12:36 AM) *

When anyone plays at the elite level that Dawkins did for as long as he did they inevitably get more slack for an off-day.

It wouldn't have taken that much of an increase in the Banner lowball special to keep him here.

I'll second JoeGrane's question about whether his role in Denver had the same responsibilities as it did here.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 19 2016, 12:36 AM) *

It should read, "the biggest knock against Dawkins, amongst us idiots is...."
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 19 2016, 06:19 AM) *
When anyone plays at the elite level that Dawkins did for as long as he did they inevitably get more slack for an off-day.

He played small in the playoff games during our NFC championship run.

It wouldn't have taken that much of an increase in the Banner lowball special to keep him here.

I'll second JoeGrane's question about whether his role in Denver had the same responsibilities as it did here.

He left for more money and found his game again. His play fell off in his last couple of seasons as an Eagle. Whether he had the same "role" in Denver, I couldn't tell you. Once he turned his back on us I didn't pay much attention to him. I do know that he found a way to play at an All-Pro level for another season. That felt like a slap in the face.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 19 2016, 11:32 AM) *
It should read, "the biggest knock against Dawkins, amongst us idiots is...."

So you agree. That's good to know.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 19 2016, 06:06 PM) *
He left for more money and found his game again. His play fell off in his last couple of seasons as an Eagle. Whether he had the same "role" in Denver, I couldn't tell you. Once he turned his back on us I didn't pay much attention to him. I do know that he found a way to play at an All-Pro level for another season. That felt like a slap in the face.

So you're ignoring the fact that Dawkins was offered a low deal here to justify criticising him for accepting reasonable money elsewhere? I'd think you're Joe Banner if I hadn't known you for so long.

And you can't simply say he played better for Denver without knowing if his role there was simplified from the "do everything" superhero that we all remember from his prime. There's no reason to suppose that he couldn't have played that well here in similar circumstances.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 18 2016, 08:36 PM) *

What are you even talking about? He was a Pro Bowler his last year here, and the defense averaged 18 points per game. His last GAME here was absolute shit, but so was the rest of the defense that day.

He also had 3 different DC's in his 3 years in Denver, who all ran more traditional schemes. JJ's blitz packages required Dawkins to shoulder a lot more responsibility, and he rose to the occasion every Sunday.
Joegrane
Also remember what happened to the performance out of the Safety position for many years after he left.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 19 2016, 05:04 PM) *
So you're ignoring the fact that Dawkins was offered a low deal here to justify criticising him for accepting reasonable money elsewhere? I'd think you're Joe Banner if I hadn't known you for so long.

And you can't simply say he played better for Denver without knowing if his role there was simplified from the "do everything" superhero that we all remember from his prime. There's no reason to suppose that he couldn't have played that well here in similar circumstances.

Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 19 2016, 04:04 PM) *

In 2009, 3 million a season for a 35 yo safety wasn't a lowball offer; particularly for a player that was less dynamic than the Weapon X of his prime. Simply put Denver overpaid for him.

He did do that for us, but it wasn't enough. We needed more than a run stopper and pass rusher on certain situations.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Nov 19 2016, 05:12 PM) *
What are you even talking about? He was a Pro Bowler his last year here, and the defense averaged 18 points per game. His last GAME here was absolute shit, but so was the rest of the defense that day.

He also had 3 different DC's in his 3 years in Denver, who all ran more traditional schemes. JJ's blitz packages required Dawkins to shoulder a lot more responsibility, and he rose to the occasion every Sunday.

He became a defensive liability on passing downs. I respect and admire what he did for the Eagles over his career. When all is said and done he certainly should be in the HoF.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 20 2016, 07:37 AM) *
In 2009, 3 million a season for a 35 yo safety wasn't a lowball offer; particularly for a player that was less dynamic than the Weapon X of his prime. Simply put Denver overpaid for him.

But you posted earlier that "he found his game again" so they can't have overpaid.

He did do that for us, but it wasn't enough. We needed more than a run stopper and pass rusher on certain situations.

So does every team. We were fortunate to have Dawkins in his prime when he could do everything asked of him, and more when required.

He became a defensive liability on passing downs. I respect and admire what he did for the Eagles over his career. When all is said and done he certainly should be in the HoF.

Which means the coaching staff need to consider his role in the scheme. As pointed out by Joegrane, we were worse at S after Dawkins left.
Rick
To question how good Bdawk was is ridiculous and one of the dumbest things I've seen around here.

Sometimes I have to wonder about people around here. I guess if you don't set some kind of record every game, you're just not good enough...
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 20 2016, 07:37 AM) *

Do you even like the eagles?

Dawkins was the greatest single eagle of his generation. If you're too fucking stupid to appreciate that, go w/ RF and root for the dyke queens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.