Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serious question ...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Why have the Eagles receivers dropped so many passes, so consistently over the past several years? Is it as simple as talent? I don't think these guys had the drops in college.

I suggest turning the sound OFF.
CT_Eagle
Damn. That was depressing.

What really hurts is that the Eagles could be at the top of the NFC if the WRs could just catch the ball at a rate the equals the NFL norm.
Joegrane
At least they would be leading in the Wild Card standings.

Just not making two badly timed fumbles might also have them ahead in the WC standings.

QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 15 2016, 09:50 AM) *
Damn. That was depressing.

What really hurts is that the Eagles could be at the top of the NFC if the WRs could just catch the ball at a rate the equals the NFL norm.

D Rock
It's 100% mental.
The Franchise
Sproles is a proven good player, everyone drops a ball here and there.

Matthews is a solid average WR. Basically he's James Thrash with some upside potential, but that drop on Sunday was killer.

The rest of our receivers just suck ass.
Pila
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Nov 15 2016, 07:00 PM) *
Sproles is a proven good player, everyone drops a ball here and there.

Matthews is a solid average WR. Basically he's James Thrash with some upside potential, but that drop on Sunday was killer.

The rest of our receivers just suck ass.

It's only a "kliller" in a loss. In a win, it's an interruption.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Pila @ Nov 15 2016, 03:52 PM) *
It's only a "kliller" in a loss. In a win, it's an interruption.

Perhaps 'brutal' is the better word.
Birdman420
Something that stood out to me, Sproles's drops. We obviously don't consider him to be a problem based on his overall production for us.

However I do remember people talking about how bradford didn't throw a catchable ball. I think this proves that theory to be bullshit. The qb gets the ball to his guys any way he can, how he does it is irrelevant.

I think our WR's are in a slump, partially because of the lack of focus but also partially because they have nobody on the team to prove to them that "hey, you can catch these. Watch me do it" they are inept up and down.

The young guys need a leader at the position, someone who fires them up and shows them how it's done. I want to make this easy and just blame the players but I have to think that there is something more going on.
Joegrane
I was one who discussed the issue of big armed QBs and "catchable balls" I still wonder if it is a factor, even this year.

Is it your impression that Sproles still has a problem dropping balls this year. He seems much better this year than last. R Matthews seems better this year as well.

With J Matthews I think it is mechanics. You can see on the replay that his hands were in an awkward position. Maybe some of that is coachable.

With Agholor I wonder if it is a lack of hand and arm strength, along with lack of overall weight and strength when battling with DBs.

It would be interesting to hear a former QB discuss this issue. Maybe someone will have an opportunity to get #5 or Jaws or BWest to comment on this during a call-in show.

I never played WR in organized football except in practice, but in pickup games I always had to tell the QB to not throw a dart to me. I don't have big hands. I always had trouble snaring a football with my hands on an out but was fine catching one over my shoulder on a go route or into my body on a curl. Pro WRs are told to catch everything with their hands. I wonder how much of an issue it can be for a thin, light guy such as Agholor.

QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Nov 15 2016, 04:53 PM) *
Something that stood out to me, Sproles's drops. We obviously don't consider him to be a problem based on his overall production for us.

However I do remember people talking about how bradford didn't throw a catchable ball. I think this proves that theory to be bullshit. The qb gets the ball to his guys any way he can, how he does it is irrelevant.

I think our WR's are in a slump, partially because of the lack of focus but also partially because they have nobody on the team to prove to them that "hey, you can catch these. Watch me do it" they are inept up and down.

The young guys need a leader at the position, someone who fires them up and shows them how it's done. I want to make this easy and just blame the players but I have to think that there is something more going on.
Birdman420
You might have a point Joe,

Is it too much of an ask to Wentz to have him consider ball delivery ontop of everything else that is being asked of him during his rookie season?

I'd argue that Wentz needs guys to create larger windows for error for our rookie, as years go by the units gel and tighter windows can be established based on the strengths and weaknesses of both pitcher and catcher. I don't think our young WR corps is capable of adjusting to Wentz when they themselves have so many issues such as mechanics they need to work on.

Look at our favorite team- New England, There is no excuse for dropped balls there because Tom has thrown to countless Wr's throughout his years, but I'm sure Tom is more capable of playing to his guys strengths because he's got everything else learned in.

I just think it was a bad idea not to give wentz a guy that is a proven great WR that can be a target that wentz is confident about, and have something to compare to. Having a half-ass group of receivers during Wentz's rookie season is going to cause us unforseen problems in the next few years.
Rick
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Nov 15 2016, 04:53 PM) *

A slump? They've been dropping balls since they came into the league.

I think you may be right on the mechanics, etc. But, implying it a slump is misleading. Saying they're in a slump says they were catching the ball at some point. They haven't.

I don't know what the problem is--and don't care--I'm just sick to death of watching them drop balls.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.