Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wentz gets a come back W
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
The kid was solid today and the D amazingly held up vs a very good offense, even with the injuries in the secondary.

The Home vs Road record is consistent with a young team. There were some impressive Home Ws too. Maybe the folks in Vegas were feeling that and so the line reflected that sentiment.

Green Bay is not the same team they've been in recent years. That game no longer looks like an obvious L.

@ Seattle is tough but otherwise they'll have a chance in every other game this year.

They get L Johnson back for the last two, correct?

They have a decent chance at 8 Ws. I would not be shocked if they get to 9 Ws.

QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 13 2016, 05:09 PM) *
Held an offense averaging 34 points a game to 15.

Eagles go 5-0 at home.

Wentz is just a few weapons away
Joegrane
Wentz improbably edged Ryan in QB rating today 87 to 79

Jordan Matthews continues to be a solid possession receiver who will make tough catches for you but will inevitably drop one as well. That drop before the half probably cost them 3pts.

Agholor doesn't make anything look easy. If his situation is that he is developing slowly, you'd expect him to occasionally flash. Huff was like that. He'd tease you with an occasional nice play. However, there is almost nothing from NA.

DGB seemed to be a favorite target of CW in recent weeks but was shut out in this one.

What is with the penalties from Ertz--at home, not in a noisy road environment?

The O Line was amazing today. Hat's off to the coaching staff for recognizing the situation and exploiting the advantage.

Rookie Smallwood had 70yds rushing and was on the field late in the 4th. I was surprised after the 100+yd day by R Matthews. Matthews seemed to have a little extra burst today. Smallwood looks like he'll be a solid contributor for many years.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 13 2016, 05:35 PM) *
The kid was solid today and the D amazingly held up vs a very good offense, even with the injuries in the secondary.

The Franchise
Wentz looks good. Our WR's absolutely suck. Pederson needs an intervention - what the hell was that shit at the end of the half? And another play that starts out backwards on 3rd down and in field goal range. The defense did very well today. We're still undisciplined, that outrageous penalty by Goode should get his ass cut. Inexcusable.

We're 5-4, and 9 wins should get us in the playoffs as long as we get 3 out of 4 against NY, Wash, and either GB or Sea. Lose more than 1 of those and it'll likely take 10 wins to get in. The good news is we have the tiebreakers against several teams in the hunt, and they will all knock each other off as well each week. I'm still excited for this team, hopefully something can be done about WR.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Nov 13 2016, 05:09 PM) *
Wentz looks good. Our WR's absolutely suck. Pederson needs an intervention - what the hell was that shit at the end of the half? And another play that starts out backwards on 3rd down and in field goal range. The defense did very well today. We're still undisciplined, that outrageous penalty by Goode should get his ass cut. Inexcusable.

We're 5-4, and 9 wins should get us in the playoffs as long as we get 3 out of 4 against NY, Wash, and either GB or Sea. Lose more than 1 of those and it'll likely take 10 wins to get in. The good news is we have the tiebreakers against several teams in the hunt, and they will all knock each other off as well each week. I'm still excited for this team, hopefully something can be done about WR.

I will take the win but outside of a few nice throws the running game was the story...the guy who looked good was not our QB but Ryan Matthews. He is finally healthy.....high ankle sprains are a bitch.
Joegrane
I bet they will address #1 WR in free agency either this off-season or next. This team is too close to being a playoff contender to wait for a low 1st round WR to develop. Even then, a low 1st round WR might not be talented enough to be a true impact #1 WR.

Of course if the wheels on the bus in MN continue to come off, maybe that pick won't be a low 1st rounder.

Can you imagine the "tone" in Philly if the Eagles had started the season with 4 wins and then lost 4 in a row to non-elite teams?!

Even though our playoff chances are not great, at least we can see a young team growing.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Nov 13 2016, 06:09 PM) *
Wentz looks good. Our WR's absolutely suck. ... I'm still excited for this team, hopefully something can be done about WR.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 13 2016, 08:56 PM) *
I bet they will address #1 WR in free agency either this off-season or next. This team is too close to being a playoff contender to wait for a low 1st round WR to develop. Even then, a low 1st round WR might not be talented enough to be a true impact #1 WR.

Of course if the wheels on the bus in MN continue to come off, maybe that pick won't be a low 1st rounder.

Can you imagine the "tone" in Philly if the Eagles had started the season with 4 wins and then lost 4 in a row to non-elite teams?!

Even though our playoff chances are not great, at least we can see a young team growing.

The Eagles are one of the oldest teams....they rank in the bottom 5...they have a good defense

My biggest concern is that our QB, after a hot start has regressed considerably....he played the 2nd worst defense against the pass today....and looked ordinary at best...that is not a good thing...thank god Matthews ankle healed, he was a stud today
nephillymike
I think our QB played well yesterday.

I heard him say something yesterday that I never heard McNabb say in 11 years, "that was a dumb play by me", on his decision to throw it away instead of run out the clock on that 4th down play.

If Turner isn't promoted and Treggs doesn't see starter minutes, then heads need to roll. It's beyond ridiculous.

I probably yelled and cursed more in a win yesterday than I ever had.

Our D is legit top three, ST 's also. That will give us a good chance to have a shot.

Also, when Barbre gets healthy soon, that will give us the opportunity to strengthen the line by removing our turnstile, penalty happy OC, and give the kid a better pocket and open up between the guards running.
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 12:12 AM) *
The Eagles are one of the oldest teams....they rank in the bottom 5...they have a good defense

My biggest concern is that our QB, after a hot start has regressed considerably....he played the 2nd worst defense against the pass today....and looked ordinary at best...that is not a good thing...thank god Matthews ankle healed, he was a stud today

Seriously? You still don't see the good things Wentz does? He played very efficient yesterday. Yes, some mistakes but I expect them. He still had drops by his receivers in big situations. He does have a tendency to get sloppy footwork when pushed off his mark still. So he does have a few mechanical problems he's still working on but we knew that when they drafted him.

He took a bad sack in the first half. He should have run the clock out instead of throwing it away on another. I didn't see a ton of bad throws from him yesterday.

The passing game plan seemed to be, again, throw short. Even though they ran for almost 200 yards and could have taken advantage of more play action.

I'm not sure what you saw yesterday that would suggest he has regressed. I see a young QB who continues to play well enough to win--even against much better opponents. I see a young QB who still is learning the position as well. But I see progress even if he's not throwing for 300 yards and 4 TD each game.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 12:12 AM) *

"Rookie" doesn't adequately describe Wentz. Don't forget, he didn't play QB until his senior year in high school, only had 23 college starts and was limited to 24 passes in preseason. This is a large part of the reason the Eagles effectively have 3 QB coaches. And who does he have to throw to? I like Matthews, but he's not a #1. After Matthews there is Agholor wink.gif and two players who probably don't even know the offense. I'm not making excuses, just looking at reality and trying to keep things in perspective. We have a starting QB with minimal positional experience, who came from a Division II school and was injured most of training camp. He's playing with one real WR for a rookie HC and despite expected rookie mistakes he's helped his team win 5 games ... maybe that would be 7 games if not for rookie HC mistakes. And you're criticizing him for looking ordinary? huh.gif
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 14 2016, 07:49 AM) *
"Rookie" doesn't adequately describe Wentz. Don't forget, he didn't play QB until his senior year in high school, only had 23 college starts and was limited to 24 passes in preseason. This is a large part of the reason the Eagles effectively have 3 QB coaches. And who does he have to throw to? I like Matthews, but he's not a #1. After Matthews there is Agholor wink.gif and two players who probably don't even know the offense. I'm not making excuses, just looking at reality and trying to keep things in perspective. We have a starting QB with minimal positional experience, who came from a Division II school and was injured most of training camp. He's playing with one real WR for a rookie HC and despite expected rookie mistakes he's helped his team win 5 games ... maybe that would be 7 games if not for rookie HC mistakes. And you're criticizing him for looking ordinary? huh.gif

Well-said. Matthews is a solid #2 WR. Agholor shouldn't be on an NFL roster. DGB is, well, a project at best.

For a guy who's playing with very little offensive talent, he's done quite well. When you throw in his history, he's done amazingly-well.
D Rock
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 14 2016, 12:14 PM) *
Seriously? You still don't see the good things Wentz does? He played very efficient yesterday. Yes, some mistakes but I expect them. He still had drops by his receivers in big situations. He does have a tendency to get sloppy footwork when pushed off his mark still. So he does have a few mechanical problems he's still working on but we knew that when they drafted him.

He took a bad sack in the first half. He should have run the clock out instead of throwing it away on another. I didn't see a ton of bad throws from him yesterday.

The passing game plan seemed to be, again, throw short. Even though they ran for almost 200 yards and could have taken advantage of more play action.

I'm not sure what you saw yesterday that would suggest he has regressed. I see a young QB who continues to play well enough to win--even against much better opponents. I see a young QB who still is learning the position as well. But I see progress even if he's not throwing for 300 yards and 4 TD each game.

Don't take the bait. RF has an obsessive need to turn EVERY discussion into "wentz sucks, sam bradford gives me a chubby" argument for 13 pages of drivel. Let the grumpy old, know nothing, ass hat, do his thing. But, I wouldn't bother participating in it.
Pila
The team is well coached and for the most appear prepared to play. A few of the losses have been in-game decisions, but otherwise all 3 phases of the ball have been coached "up". That's a good sign.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 14 2016, 06:49 AM) *

Yeah...I know....for him having poor WRs matters...lol The drop by Agholar was more Wentz throwing the ball well behind him than on Agholar. He needs to make that catch but they even showed that the ball was well behind him on the replay. You are making excuses, the same ones you laugh at for other QBs. The point is the Falcons have one of the worst passing defenses in the league. I mean really bad....like ranked 31st. To get excited by a mediocre performance is hysterical. I am not saying he is a bust, just that he has regressed from the first 3 games....and he still is having trouble finding TD passes.

Yesterday was about Ryan Matthews and the defense. I don't care where he came from anymore. If you want to cry about that or use that as a crutch than you are saying he is not worth the pick. He is here now and has played a lot. Prescott does not seem to have any issues and he was without his top WR and has lost at least one starter on his O line as well.

I actually think Pederson is doing a pretty good job except for 2 games and even one of those was not entirely on him.

It is funny to see the hopping back and forth between "excuses" and "reality" though.....keep up the good work....I guess it is all about the narrative.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 14 2016, 10:10 AM) *
Don't take the bait. RF has an obsessive need to turn EVERY discussion into "wentz sucks, sam bradford gives me a chubby" argument for 13 pages of drivel. Let the grumpy old, know nothing, ass hat, do his thing. But, I wouldn't bother participating in it.

ahhh...Hillary's nephew says hello.....poor guy...have you ended your cry-in? So nice to see you have not ended it all. It would be a shame to not have your limp wristed replies here.

I realize you cringe at the idea of the very criticisms used about other QBs to be leveled at the current one...you are a king of hypocrisy.

The old thing is cute though, maybe you have given up on young guys and that is your new fetish....not that there is any thing wrong with that....sorry I can't help you.

But keep up the good work.....
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 04:21 PM) *
ahhh...Hillary's nephew says hello.....poor guy...have you ended your cry-in? So nice to see you have not ended it all. It would be a shame to not have your limp wristed replies here.

I realize you cringe at the idea of the very criticisms used about other QBs to be leveled at the current one...you are a king of hypocrisy.

The old thing is cute though, maybe you have given up on young guys and that is your new fetish....not that there is any thing wrong with that....sorry I can't help you.

But keep up the good work.....

I told you before, I'd never vote for a Clinton, even to prevent orange hitler.

You however got your man! Proud days in the RF household. You've got one of your own in the big game.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 14 2016, 06:14 AM) *

I have never said he does not do good things. Yesterday he played one of the worst passing defenses in the league. He was very ordinary against them. He made some nice throws, as I said, but he made some serious bone headed plays like at the end of the first half. He made some bad throws as well. I do not know if his regression is from settling in or DCs having tape on him. Now to girls like D Rock he is awesome just for stepping on the field but for the most people who report on the game he was just ok yesterday and that is fine but the Falcons were a team he should have lit up. It was another game without a TD pass and another game of almost entirely check down or short passes. Maybe I expect much more.....maybe I see other rookies come in and play at another level and want too much but yesterday had little to do with his play and much to do with the running game and the defense. He had a hot start and maybe that raised my expectations but yesterday was a just ok and I expect more from him, a lot more. Prescott seems to have that gene...right now.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Pila @ Nov 14 2016, 05:08 PM) *
The team is well coached and for the most appear prepared to play. A few of the losses have been in-game decisions, but otherwise all 3 phases of the ball have been coached "up". That's a good sign.

The penalties concern me. That can be corrected by coaching. The HC needs to get this facet under control.
Pila
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 14 2016, 05:49 PM) *
The penalties concern me. That can be corrected by coaching. The HC needs to get this facet under control.

I'm a bit forgiving because I think some of those - a good amount of them - were more the product of questionable officiating than that of personal lapses.
Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 05:16 PM) *
Yeah...I know....for him having poor WRs matters...lol The drop by Agholar was more Wentz throwing the ball well behind him than on Agholar. He needs to make that catch but they even showed that the ball was well behind him on the replay. You are making excuses, the same ones you laugh at for other QBs. The point is the Falcons have one of the worst passing defenses in the league. I mean really bad....like ranked 31st. To get excited by a mediocre performance is hysterical. I am not saying he is a bust, just that he has regressed from the first 3 games....and he still is having trouble finding TD passes.

Yesterday was about Ryan Matthews and the defense. I don't care where he came from anymore. If you want to cry about that or use that as a crutch than you are saying he is not worth the pick. He is here now and has played a lot. Prescott does not seem to have any issues and he was without his top WR and has lost at least one starter on his O line as well.

I actually think Pederson is doing a pretty good job except for 2 games and even one of those was not entirely on him.

It is funny to see the hopping back and forth between "excuses" and "reality" though.....keep up the good work....I guess it is all about the narrative.

He seems to deliver in those sort of moments that Bradford used to. And I thought that was an important quality after years of inadequate QBing. I think the value of that is increased when we consider how he has been let down by his receivers.

Sometimes, his inexperience shows up in situations. I think those moments happen much less than what we expected before the season started. We can't overlook that fact.

What I don't think is any longer a point of contention is that we have a real QB.... Something I was worried about when we let a QB go in Bradford. That's no longer a concern of mine. I've moved on to secondary worries. I think we all should.
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 12:28 PM) *
I have never said he does not do good things. Yesterday he played one of the worst passing defenses in the league. He was very ordinary against them. He made some nice throws, as I said, but he made some serious bone headed plays like at the end of the first half. He made some bad throws as well. I do not know if his regression is from settling in or DCs having tape on him. Now to girls like D Rock he is awesome just for stepping on the field but for the most people who report on the game he was just ok yesterday and that is fine but the Falcons were a team he should have lit up. It was another game without a TD pass and another game of almost entirely check down or short passes. Maybe I expect much more.....maybe I see other rookies come in and play at another level and want too much but yesterday had little to do with his play and much to do with the running game and the defense. He had a hot start and maybe that raised my expectations but yesterday was a just ok and I expect more from him, a lot more. Prescott seems to have that gene...right now.

So what. He was ordinary yesterday. And that's a problem why?

The throw to NA you mentioned that was so far behind him was behind him but not a horrible ball. I've seen other, HOF, QBs make throws like that. The difference is, their receivers actually CATCH the ball instead of dropping it. I guess because he doesn't put the ball in their back pocket on EVERY throw, he isn't worth our time....

What, "serious boneheaded plays," are you referring to at the end of the first half? He took a bad sack (I can't remember if that was at the end of the half or earlier.) but, other than him throwing the ball away on the other play where he should have taken a little more time to run the clock out, I can't think of anything that was, "seriously boneheaded," that he did.

And yes, another game with a bunch of short passes. I put that more on Pedersen than Wentz. If you can't figure out it's got to do with what's being called after seeing last week, then there's not much to discuss.

How many other rookies do you see come in and play at much higher level? Especially rookies with so little experience like Wentz? The kid is 5-4 as a starter in the NFL as a rookie with very little QB experience. All this, in spite of a coach who constantly calls boneheaded plays (yes, these ARE boneheaded), receivers who can't get open, can't catch the ball and fall down as soon as they're looked at. But, yeah, Wentz is uninspiring.

I guess he should be putting up 400 yards and 3 TD passes a game like Prescott right? Oh wait, he's not doing it either and he HAS a great offensive line and a bunch of very good receivers to throw to and the best RB in the game right now.

Sometimes I really have to wonder....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 14 2016, 02:05 PM) *
Sometimes I really have to wonder....

Wonder about what? Prescott cost a hell of a lot less and he lost Collins in the 3rd game and Bryant for 3 games and did not miss a beat....

You know what I wonder about......I wonder about expectations....they should have been sky high for the price we paid and they should have been high for the number 2 pick....and it was raised by his hot start.....but at no point do I want a QB who cost so much to make a living throwing 6 yard passes especially after listening to a gaggle of internet sissies on here whining about it last year......I want him fighting for ROY honors.....I want him and his "cannon" arm to throw downfield with success....

You know what I wonder about? I wonder about the irony of some of the clowns here missing their hypocrisy...it is what keeps me away from here.....it reminds me why so many people hate eagles fans....
BisonEagleFan
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 03:35 PM) *
Wonder about what? Prescott cost a hell of a lot less and he lost Collins in the 3rd game and Bryant for 3 games and did not miss a beat....

You know what I wonder about......I wonder about expectations....they should have been sky high for the price we paid and they should have been high for the number 2 pick....and it was raised by his hot start.....but at no point do I want a QB who cost so much to make a living throwing 6 yard passes especially after listening to a gaggle of internet sissies on here whining about it last year......I want him fighting for ROY honors.....I want him and his "cannon" arm to throw downfield with success....

You know what I wonder about? I wonder about the irony of some of the clowns here missing their hypocrisy...it is what keeps me away from here.....it reminds me why so many people hate eagles fans....

And just who is he supposed to throw these passes downfield to? Philadelphia doesn't have 1 receiver less Treggs who is unproven that can create any separation from a defender. If they were to try it and they turn into interceptions you'd be bitching about that then.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 12:16 PM) *

Pretty cute the way you avoid all of the relevance of my post, like his experience. And like the point was that you were worried that he looked ordinary. Also interesting how you (and me) have said that Bradford wasn't given a fair shake because his receivers were always sub par but brush aside the same argument with Wentz.

You need to curtail your argument for argument's sake. That wench ain't here, she's picking crabs in a Motel 6 outside of Doylestown. laugh.gif
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 04:35 PM) *

I want him to learn the position and play within the game plan. And, Prescott was a starter in a major college program for two years and had a complete training camp. He also has a RB who is not only leading in ROY stats but is leading the league in rushing and a probable HOF TE as a security blanket, 3 viable NFL receivers and an OL that has played together for more than three months. Maybe the absence of downfield throws are more the coaches than the player, more a matter of development than reluctance?

We all hate the Cowboys and want Wentz to outshine Prescott but it's not an even playing field yet. If Prescott slid to the 4th and is performing better than every QB taken before him that's not Wentz's fault and it's not his fault that the Eagles paid a premium to draft him.
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 04:35 PM) *

You're right, hypocrisy. You want a kid with little/no experience (relatively-speaking) to come in and be the 2nd coming of Tom Brady even though he has NOTHING around him. But you seem to forget that football is a team sport and Wentz has nothing to work with and is still learning. You're the one with expectations, not the rest of us. The rest of us are quite pleased with what we've got right now. Not one of us thinks he's going to be a HOF QB or anything. We all look at him as a solid QB who needs some work and WAY more tools to work with.

Everyone is saying one thing about the kid--even the people who get paid a lot of money to look at every angle--but you're saying the exact opposite. But we're all wrong and you're right....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Pila @ Nov 14 2016, 11:08 AM) *

I agree.

Even if our WR continue to suck, stop the fumbles, make a change at C and get a fair shake from the refs and we're 2nd round of the playoffs caliber team.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Pila @ Nov 14 2016, 11:53 AM) *
I'm a bit forgiving because I think some of those - a good amount of them - were more the product of questionable officiating than that of personal lapses.

And 8 of them are on an over matched C who is on borrowed time until Barbre gets back and a bunch are on a Stanford TE who can't count.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 03:35 PM) *
...it reminds me why so many people hate eagles fans....

And love Sam Bradford.........

duel.gif
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 14 2016, 11:28 AM) *
Prescott seems to have that gene...right now.

Prescott has a stud at both RB and WR, with a damn good O-line.
What he has that Wentz doesn't is a hell of a supporting cast, which makes him look better than our QB at the moment. I'll wait to see how they stack up against each other in a couple of seasons, hopefully by then the Iggs level the playing field with some talent to help our QB...I tend to think CW has a higher upside in the long run. Too early to tell now though.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 14 2016, 04:23 PM) *
You're right, hypocrisy. You want a kid with little/no experience (relatively-speaking) to come in and be the 2nd coming of Tom Brady even though he has NOTHING around him. But you seem to forget that football is a team sport and Wentz has nothing to work with and is still learning. You're the one with expectations, not the rest of us. The rest of us are quite pleased with what we've got right now. Not one of us thinks he's going to be a HOF QB or anything. We all look at him as a solid QB who needs some work and WAY more tools to work with.

Everyone is saying one thing about the kid--even the people who get paid a lot of money to look at every angle--but you're saying the exact opposite. But we're all wrong and you're right....

You completely miss my point and it is mostly not directed at you....the expectation part is...and I fully accept that they may be unrealistic....that is what happens when a team trades the farm to get a guy...I expect a lot.

As far as the other part?....I said the exact same thing last year about the talent level and many of the chirping this year is from the same folks that dismissed it last year...one dolt even said it must be the QB that is causing all the drops...

And for the record...since the 4th week all the "he looks like a 10 year vet" silliness has stopped....I hope he is the greatest QB in the world but several things worry me.....not the least of which is his 4th quarter performance with the game on the line.....and yes, I do expect him to have a great game when he plays a terrible defense.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 14 2016, 07:24 PM) *
And love Sam Bradford.........

duel.gif

Truth be told....I never followed the guy till he came her.....and I don't follow him now...it was/is the hypocrisy about him and the ignorance of some that drove me crazy. Pointing out that the teams he played on in St; Louis make our skill players look like HOF players was ignored and those same folks using that same point with Wentz is comical. You can't have it both ways.
Phits
QUOTE (BisonEagleFan @ Nov 14 2016, 03:58 PM) *
And just who is he supposed to throw these passes downfield to?

To the receivers. Put the onus on them.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 15 2016, 02:18 PM) *
that is what happens when a team trades the farm to get a guy...

The Eagles get: The No. 2 pick in 2016 and a 2017 fourth-round pick.

The Browns get: The No. 8 pick in 2016, the No. 77 pick (third round) in 2016, the No. 100 pick (fourth round) in 2016, a 2017 first-rounder and a 2018 second-rounder.

That's hardly trading the farm for a draft pick. Especially for a (potential) franchise QB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.