Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Halfway point
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
eagleaddict
Sorry but the hot start really never swayed my tempered expectations for this year. I still believe an 8-8 season is a successful year. We are just not good enough to be in the playoffs. This is a mediocre team with an above average defense and a lack of skill players. Any hopes beyond that are just hopes.

-Darren Sproles is not a reliable running back. He was and maybe still is a good player, but he is not a workhorse back. Maybe Smallwood can be the second coming of Westbrook, but for now we seem to have 4 second/third stringers at RB. A strong running game would hide a lot of Wentz's flaws by keeping the defense honest. It's sad that we can't get a RB screen off once in awhile.

-As noted, WR is a hot mess. If these guys were all low round picks, it would make sense. They are incredibly unreliable and rarely spectacular. I really can't understand why Turner isn't out there over Agholor at this point. Seriously, it couldn't hurt. DGB is beyond frustrating as he gets pressed like he's 50 lbs lighter and 1/2 a foot shorter. Maybe he is not the steal we hoped he would be.

-Why are we still hoping Ertz is going to break out? He falls down if a DB breaths on him. Was it really that long ago we were watching Celek break tackles 20 yards downfield. He was a beast. Now, when he's on the field, you know they're running the ball, like when we saw Bradford under center last year. If an idiot nobody like me knows what is coming, something is beyond wrong.

-Kelce needs legitimate competition this offseason. He's done. Also, please bring in a FB and drop one of the 4 mediocre RBs we have.

-On defense I would just like to see a little more blitzing, but they are not losing us games the way the O is each week.
mcnabbulous
SGB plays like a dude who is 5'10" 190
The Franchise
-Darren Sproles is not a reliable running back. He was and maybe still is a good player, but he is not a workhorse back. Maybe Smallwood can be the second coming of Westbrook, but for now we seem to have 4 second/third stringers at RB. A strong running game would hide a lot of Wentz's flaws by keeping the defense honest. It's sad that we can't get a RB screen off once in awhile.

Sproles is still an excellent player, but as it turns out our #1 RB absolutely sucks shit, and you're right, Sproles shouldn't be getting 20 carries a game. Smallwood looks pretty good. I don't remember many times this year if at all where we've had two backs on the field at the same time. Maybe mixing in some different formations with multiple RB's would help, since our WR's clearly are terrible and no defense we face is going to respect them.
Rick
Have to agree with much of what you said.

Sproles is still an excellent player but not made to be the workhorse they're making him.

DGB really is beyond frustrating. I can see why the Titans gave him away.

Matthews is also frustrating. Another big guy who plays smaller than Sproles. Another guy who falls down if you look in his general direction. Plus stone hands...like all of our receivers.

The defensive line has been (overall) good. The problem is they are incredible for stretches then they disappear. Cox, as so many of you have mentioned seems like he's not even on the field when they're on the road. He actually had a few nice plays today...I was shocked. But still not the $100 million guy he is supposed to be.

I'm so tired of watching the Eagles giving up easy TD passes. We've been watching this for YEARS now. I can't really get frustrated with the front office on this one. They keep trying. They get guys who've played well elsewhere but, when they come to Philly, they seem to forget how to cover people.

When the defensive line disappears for those stretches, it really highlights just how bad the secondary is. It may be slightly better than last year but it's still REAL bad.

I still like what I see in Wentz (overall) but he needs to step up himself. It would be nice if a receiver were to step up and make a friggin' play for him from time to time though. But I think he will be one of the good ones (not sure about great) if they ever get him some people to throw to.

I predicted 5 wins before the start of the season. I'd hope they'll get more than that but I think 8-8 is a stretch at this point.
Joegrane
Smallwood and BWest are very different, except for the good hands. BW made people miss withhis lateral quickness. WS probably has better straight line speed and is bigger, however BW played with toughness that I don't see in WS. I think WS will be an okay complimentary back on a team that has a decent o line.

I too expected 5 Ws for the year, esp after the L Johnson announcement.

However this team sans L Johnson is better than I expected.

They gave away the Lions game with the late fumble, and some costly penalties--(cox gave up 7pts?)

They were up 10 at Big D and it took a couple of bad plays to loose it.

CW single-highhandedly lost the Giant's game. Without the two early Ints in his own end, Pedey would not have been rolling the dice on 4th down and they would have had enough momentum and points to win.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Nov 6 2016, 09:02 PM) *
Sproles is still an excellent player, but as it turns out our #1 RB absolutely sucks shit, and you're right, Sproles shouldn't be getting 20 carries a game. Smallwood looks pretty good. I don't remember many times this year if at all where we've had two backs on the field at the same time. Maybe mixing in some different formations with multiple RB's would help, since our WR's clearly are terrible and no defense we face is going to respect them.

The Franchise
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 6 2016, 09:34 PM) *
CW single-highhandedly lost the Giant's game. Without the two early Ints in his own end, Pedey would not have been rolling the dice on 4th down and they would have had enough momentum and points to win.

It was midway through the 1st quarter and they were down 14. You take the fucking points. Wentz looked terrible early, but those decisions are on Pederson.
mcnabbulous
I don't know that he looked terrible. He sailed two throws. He wasn't helped by the fact that every route we were running was within 7 yards of the LOS. It gave no room for error.

Once we opened things up, he looked far more comfortable. He needs to get more reps with Treggs. He clearly struggled to adapt to his speed. But that seems like a promising start.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 7 2016, 01:07 AM) *
I don't know that he looked terrible. He sailed two throws. He wasn't helped by the fact that every route we were running was within 7 yards of the LOS. It gave no room for error.

Once we opened things up, he looked far more comfortable. He needs to get more reps with Treggs. He clearly struggled to adapt to his speed. But that seems like a promising start.

You are delusional....3 throws to DGB were nowhere near him....all 3 were where only the DB had a play...the guy is 6'5"...the only ball he threw high to him was one he rifled at him...do they even practice fades to this guy because it does not look like it.

and the balls to Matthews......he throws the ball to the endzone flat and short...that was a TD and Matthews made one pass look like a back shoulder throw except it wasn't....the rookie had a bad rookie game
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 7 2016, 01:02 AM) *
You are delusional....3 throws to DGB were nowhere near him....all 3 were where only the DB had a play...the guy is 6'5"...the only ball he threw high to him was one he rifled at him...do they even practice fades to this guy because it does not look like it.

and the balls to Matthews......he throws the ball to the endzone flat and short...that was a TD and Matthews made one pass look like a back shoulder throw except it wasn't....the rookie had a bad rookie game

DGB is softer than warm butter. He may be 6'5" 230, but he plays like he's 5'10" 170.

Yes it was a rookie game by our rookie QB, but overall he wasn't terrible beyond those first two picks. He literally has not one receiver that's willing or able to make a play for him. And that includes your beloved DGB, who sucks balls.
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 6 2016, 10:34 PM) *

Wentz played poorly for much of the game and the two INTs were critical in the loss. But to say that he lost it single handedly is unfair and fails to hold the coach accountable for some pretty bad play calling. To be honest, it didn't look like Pederson had any feel for the flow of the game, pretty much for the second week in a row. In Dallas he kept calling dumb ass bubble screen type plays that Lee was all over, every time. He sacrificed a sure 3 points with a call like that losing 8 yards. Against the Giants he was doing the same things and gave up 6 points.

Neither one of them lost it by themselves, both had their hands all over it. Both are rookies, but truthfully I'm thinking Wentz has much better odds of evolving than Pederson does. Now that they know that Treggs can stretch the field maybe it will help open up more of the medium range passes and some more running lanes.
Joegrane
I agree, maybe that is why he had more success connecting with the TEs in the game.

QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 8 2016, 07:29 AM) *
... Both are rookies, but truthfully I'm thinking Wentz has much better odds of evolving than Pederson does. Now that they know that Treggs can stretch the field maybe it will help open up more of the medium range passes and some more running lanes.

Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 8 2016, 07:29 AM) *
Both are rookies, but truthfully I'm thinking Wentz has much better odds of evolving than Pederson does. Now that they know that Treggs can stretch the field maybe it will help open up more of the medium range passes and some more running lanes.

Honestly, the, "Pedersen is a rookie coach," argument doesn't hold much water. Not like he hasn't been on the sidelines of NFL games as both a QB and as a coach. Sure, he's needs to learn a few things as a head coach never having held that position in the NFL but, come on, he should have common sense. He also has people around him who have been around the block.

He should not get a pass for being a rookie with the mistakes he's making. The mistakes he's making (repeatedly) are pretty basic.
BisonEagleFan
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 8 2016, 05:03 PM) *
Honestly, the, "Pedersen is a rookie coach," argument doesn't hold much water. Not like he hasn't been on the sidelines of NFL games as both a QB and as a coach. Sure, he's needs to learn a few things as a head coach never having held that position in the NFL but, come on, he should have common sense. He also has people around him who have been around the block.

He should not get a pass for being a rookie with the mistakes he's making. The mistakes he's making (repeatedly) are pretty basic.

I believe he's responsible for at least 2 of the losses (Dallas and NY Giants) based on stupid play calling and not kicking field goals.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BisonEagleFan @ Nov 8 2016, 05:15 PM) *
I believe he's responsible for at least 2 of the losses (Dallas and NY Giants) based on stupid play calling and not kicking field goals.

He was largely responsible for Dallas. The NYG game was a pretty collective failure.
Rick
QUOTE (BisonEagleFan @ Nov 8 2016, 06:15 PM) *

I agree and he doesn't get a pass on these because he's a rookie coach. Basic football.

And I don't mind going for it in those situations (although I wouldn't have been upset had he kicked the FGs). I'm upset because of the stupid plays he called. Same crap he pulled against Dallas. And he defended that both times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.