Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When will the NFL do something about the officiating???
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
Kicker is leg-whipped and no call.

Wentz is hit in the head and no call.

A couple of plays that could have been called PI and no call.

I'm seeing crap like this in almost every game I watch, not just Eagles' games. The players complain about it. The coaches complain about it. The NFL even admits (ever so often) a call was blown. Yet, NOT ONE THING is ever done to correct it.

Goodell sucks. Has always sucked. Probably always will suck.
Zero
I agree with this post. If it had been Eli that was slapped in the head it would have been called though. How about defensive PI on Jenkins when the receiver yanks on his face mask? TD Giants.
mcnabbulous
They need to make refs full time employees.
Eyrie
I'll toss in this nonsense about what constitutes a catch.

Both the first one that we challenged unsuccessfully and the Carroll interception that we did get looked to be properly caught by the NJ VaGiants receiver. The first should have been a fumble recovery by us and the second a catch by them.

The only consolation is that the "definition" was applied consistently in both cases.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 6 2016, 06:50 PM) *
They need to make refs full time employees.

How will that matter? They're paid well by the NFL and most of them are paid well in their, "full time," professions.

Not that I disagree with you but it's not going to change the level of officiating. It's horrible at the moment and the NFL seems to have no interest in making it better.
Rick
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 6 2016, 07:10 PM) *
I'll toss in this nonsense about what constitutes a catch.

Both the first one that we challenged unsuccessfully and the Carroll interception that we did get looked to be properly caught by the NJ VaGiants receiver. The first should have been a fumble recovery by us and the second a catch by them.

The only consolation is that the "definition" was applied consistently in both cases.

I agree. I'm not just complaining about calls that seem to be missed/phantom on the Eagles, I'm talking about the entire NFL. It's been horrible and getting worse.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 6 2016, 06:59 PM) *
How will that matter? They're paid well by the NFL and most of them are paid well in their, "full time," professions.

Not that I disagree with you but it's not going to change the level of officiating. It's horrible at the moment and the NFL seems to have no interest in making it better.

More time to craft their profession
GQSmooth
It won't matter as long as Blandino and Goodell are in their respective positions. Its not a coincidence the quality of officiating has regressed. That said, officiating didn't lose this game.
Zero
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Nov 6 2016, 08:20 PM) *
It won't matter as long as Blandino and Goodell are in their respective positions. Its not a coincidence the quality of officiating has regressed. That said, officiating didn't lose this game.

I agree the Eagles may not have deserved to win the game, but Mcleod's hand was under the ball and it was in INT. It was roughing the kicker. A head slap to a QB is roughing the passer. When the WR yanks on a defender's face mask it is not defensive PI. The officiating did affect the flow of the game and potentially the outcome even if the Eagles were their own worst enemy.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 6 2016, 08:01 PM) *
More time to craft their profession

Sorry but this isn't a matter of a lack of time to craft their profession. This is straight up horrible officiating.

When you have a guy, who's ONLY job at that time is to watch for the QB to be protected and he misses things like late hits, hits to the head, etc. That has nothing to do with the amount of time they spend.

But I do agree they should be full time.
Rick
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Nov 6 2016, 08:20 PM) *

I agree on both accounts.

Again, I wasn't complaining about the officiating losing the game. I'm complaining about the level of officiating for EVERYONE. Although it has cost the Eagles dearly in a few games this season.
bwc2112
I heard they are going to work on this issue next week. laugh.gif
JeeQ
As fucked up as it sounds and you can feel free to tell me I'm wrong...

Wentz hasn't "earned" his calls yet

Once he gets a few sponsorships, a few endorsements, a couple of commercials. Once he starts actively bringing in money to the NFL and they can't afford to have him off the field

Then he'll get calls
Rick
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 6 2016, 09:10 PM) *
As fucked up as it sounds and you can feel free to tell me I'm wrong...

Wentz hasn't "earned" his calls yet

Once he gets a few sponsorships, a few endorsements, a couple of commercials. Once he starts actively bringing in money to the NFL and they can't afford to have him off the field

Then he'll get calls

It's a stupid sentiment. It's old-school and it was stupid then.

The NFL has fucked up the whole concussion thing for so long they have instituted that rule (hands to the head area) to try and help. It's for safety. It's a penalty. Period. It should have absolutely NOTHING to do with how long someone has played, how well-known they are, how good they are, etc.

It's a ridiculous way to run things.
Zero
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 6 2016, 09:13 PM) *
It's a stupid sentiment. It's old-school and it was stupid then.

The NFL has fucked up the whole concussion thing for so long they have instituted that rule (hands to the head area) to try and help. It's for safety. It's a penalty. Period. It should have absolutely NOTHING to do with how long someone has played, how well-known they are, how good they are, etc.

It's a ridiculous way to run things.

I think he was saying it was about the money.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 7 2016, 07:30 AM) *
I think he was saying it was about the money.

That would be an even dumber statement.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 6 2016, 07:58 PM) *
Sorry but this isn't a matter of a lack of time to craft their profession.

It certainly doesn't help
JeeQ
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 7 2016, 05:12 AM) *
That would be an even dumber statement.

Wouldn't make it any less true. Odell has enough star power right now that he could shoot a man on the field and they wouldn't throw a flag

Never forget this a money first league
JeeQ
Last night couldn't have been a better example of what I was talking about.

Richard Sherman and the Seahawks got away with everything they wanted to last night off the strength of Sherman's star power.

Offsides instead of roughing the kicker? laugh.gif

The Franchise
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 8 2016, 10:50 AM) *

Wow. That's the action of a man who knows he can get away with anything.
Joegrane
Are you saying that was not called?! The ref was looking in that direction.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Nov 8 2016, 01:35 PM) *
Wow. That's the action of a man who knows he can get away with anything.

Rick
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 8 2016, 04:30 PM) *
Are you saying that was not called?! The ref was looking in that direction.

It was not called. Sherman also wasn't called for a personal foul when he intentionally (IMO) rolled into the kicker's leg after the play was blown dead because he was so far offsides...
bwc2112
Watch the hits on Cam Newton . Babyboy Braday don't take those.
And the best Sherman nails the Buffalo punter.
REEAALLY!!!!!!
Joegrane
This is why Sherman's hit was actually legal! I never knew this rule existed.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/richar...ocid=spartanntp

QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 8 2016, 06:00 PM) *
It was not called. Sherman also wasn't called for a personal foul when he intentionally (IMO) rolled into the kicker's leg after the play was blown dead because he was so far offsides...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.