Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When your WR suck and your RB's fumble
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
You throw often to the TE and you use your God given talent and run with the ball a few times.

The other guy ran a few times.

I guess he must have wanted it more.
mcnabbulous
Our TEs aren't that good either. And where is this running room you speak of?

When your coach calls every play within 7 yards of the LOS, it doesn't open a whole lot of stuff up.

Simply put, Doug got majorly out coached by Jason fucking Garrett.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 31 2016, 08:17 AM) *
Our TEs aren't that good either. And where is this running room you speak of?

When your coach calls every play within 7 yards of the LOS, it doesn't open a whole lot of stuff up.

Simply put, Doug got majorly out coached by Jason fucking Garrett.

One play probably lost the game despite those problems. Fourth quarter, tie game, fourth and eight in field goal range. Pederson calls a pitch to Sproles that goes for an eight yard loss. Instead of again forcing Prescott to play from behind, he energizes the opposition.

Edit.. Got that wrong. We were up by 7 .. screen to Sproles? That was the game though, IMO.
mcnabbulous
Yeah it was a terrible call. Doug absolutely bungled this game. Really a bummer.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 31 2016, 06:27 AM) *
You throw often to the TE and you use your God given talent and run with the ball a few times.

The other guy ran a few times.

I guess he must have wanted it more.

He's got the checkdown Charlie bug. Hopefully he shakes it sooner (than later).
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 31 2016, 11:14 AM) *
He's got the checkdown Charlie bug. Hopefully he shakes it sooner (than later).

You're wrong about this
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 31 2016, 01:35 PM) *
You're wrong about this

His stats and performance validate my opinion. Perhaps there's a gunslinger in our rookie QB, but his play suggests otherwise.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 31 2016, 02:50 PM) *
His stats and performance validate my opinion. Perhaps there's a gunslinger in our rookie QB, but his play suggests otherwise.

Being a gunslinger is one thing. But the calls played and the supporting cast led to the style. Not a propensity for unnecessary check downs.

Fran Duffy posted 11 offensive plays today and only once did Carson check down to his RB when there was an opportunity for a play downfield.
Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 31 2016, 03:50 PM) *

I love when we push it down the field but how, exactly, can you do that when you don't have a receiver who can get open more than 3 yards downfield and then, they're barely open?

When guys aren't getting open, where is he supposed to throw the ball?
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 31 2016, 07:50 PM) *

It's doug's design. It's not like Carson is checking down because receivers are covered 10, 20, 30 yards down field. Nobody is even running routes down field.

This is 100% on doug.

Carson was completing 75% + of his attempts. It's not his fault most routes were behind the LOS.

Hell 6 of his 9 incompletions were DROPS.

It's also NOT Carson's choice to punt with a 7 point lead late in the game instead of attempting a 53 yard FG.

Fucking Stupid Coach.
Phits
Are you saying that he has to wait for the receivers to get open?

QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 31 2016, 05:42 PM) *
I love when we push it down the field but how, exactly, can you do that when you don't have a receiver who can get open more than 3 yards downfield and then, they're barely open?

When guys aren't getting open, where is he supposed to throw the ball?

Phits
Alex Smith does the same thing. I want Wentz to be better than Alex Smith.
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 31 2016, 05:54 PM) *
It's doug's design. It's not like Carson is checking down because receivers are covered 10, 20, 30 yards down field. Nobody is even running routes down field.

This is 100% on doug.

Carson was completing 75% + of his attempts. It's not his fault most routes were behind the LOS.

Hell 6 of his 9 incompletions were DROPS.

It's also NOT Carson's choice to punt with a 7 point lead late in the game instead of attempting a 53 yard FG.

Fucking Stupid Coach.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 31 2016, 07:35 PM) *
Alex Smith does the same thing. I want Wentz to be better than Alex Smith.

Phits, this is exactly what I thought watching us play.

This is Alex Smith, Part Two.

It was embarrassingly feeble.
mcnabbulous
The difference is that Alex Smith does it because he's not capable of pushing it down the field.

Doug called it last night because he doesn't trust our weapons and he's babying our rookie QB.

I think the perfect microcosm for Doug coaching scared last night was his refusal to use our timeouts on Dallas' last drive of regulation after we sacked Dak. We could have had one last shot.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 31 2016, 08:36 PM) *
Phits, this is exactly what I thought watching us play.

This is Alex Smith, Part Two.

It was embarrassingly feeble.

My problem with Wentz is that he has the ability to audible at the line. That ability was one of the reasons so many fans and pundits have been high on him. Since the bye he has seemed content with dinking and dunking. It is starting to seem that the early season returns were an illusion.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 31 2016, 09:09 PM) *
My problem with Wentz is that he has the ability to audible at the line. That ability was one of the reasons so many fans and pundits have been high on him. Since the bye he has seemed content with dinking and dunking. It is starting to seem that the early season returns were an illusion.

Audibles are not miracles.

Most times they will take you out of a play that will lose you a few to a play that will gain you a few.

When your WR's are really bad, you are not likely to see a 60 yard bomb on an audible, as in man to man coverage, their man still covers our "man".
mcnabbulous
Some people on this site clearly think audibles don't just change the plays, but they transform our wide receivers into something other than worthless piles of garbage.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 31 2016, 09:48 PM) *
Some people on this site clearly think audibles don't just change the plays, but they transform our wide receivers into something other than worthless piles of garbage.

True, the part about our WR's.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 31 2016, 10:17 PM) *
Audibles are not miracles.

No, they're not. It's a tool to be used in order to exploit a mismatch or gain favour on a play.

Most times they will take you out of a play that will lose you a few to a play that will gain you a few.

That most certainly is the case, but how many short passes or screen passes does a QB need to make before trying something different? 8 of his 32 completions resulted in 3 yards or less. Half of those resulted in negative yards.

When your WR's are really bad, you are not likely to see a 60 yard bomb on an audible, as in man to man coverage, their man still covers our "man".

I would rather him lay it on the WR, but that's just me.
mcnabbulous
He tried that against Detroit and threw an interception because his incompetent wide receiver couldn't just not catch it. He was so incompetent he couldn't even break up the interception.
nephillymike
I gotta agree with Nabby.

I don't put the game in those WRs hands.

Torrey Smith for a 3rd?

Get' ready done Don Howie!
samaroo
Why are we putting the play calling on the rookie QB and not the HC. Audibles should be used when play calling fails, not as play calling itself.
El Cubano
Is anyone else bothered that Smallwood is getting more reps than Barner? Even when Sproles was filling in for Mathews, we couldn't even throw him in for the punt returns. Mathews has the history of injuries and the butterfingers, Sproles will be 34 going into next season, and Smallwood is the rookie. Yes, Mathews is the most physical runner we've got and Sproles the most elusive, but Barner has paid his dues and is averaging the most yards per carry of all our backs. Is there some sort of injury I don't know about?
nephillymike
QUOTE (El Cubano @ Nov 1 2016, 03:00 AM) *
Is anyone else bothered that Smallwood is getting more reps than Barner? Even when Sproles was filling in for Mathews, we couldn't even throw him in for the punt returns. Mathews has the history of injuries and the butterfingers, Sproles will be 34 going into next season, and Smallwood is the rookie. Yes, Mathews is the most physical runner we've got and Sproles the most elusive, but Barner has paid his dues and is averaging the most yards per carry of all our backs. Is there some sort of injury I don't know about?

I agree. It's perplexing.
Joegrane
I understand the question, but I think it is because they are trying to develop Smallwood who they plan to have in their future. Next year they will probably use one of their top two picks on a feature RB. Barner will likely be the odd man out.

QUOTE (El Cubano @ Nov 1 2016, 04:00 AM) *

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 1 2016, 09:34 AM) *
Next year they will probably use one of their top two picks on a feature RB.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if this were the case.
JeeQ
Bills were able to convince Percy Harvin to come out of retirement. 1M for 8 games...
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 1 2016, 02:56 PM) *

Totally. RBs are a dime a dozen.
El Cubano
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 1 2016, 08:56 AM) *

Agreed considering our other needs
El Cubano
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 1 2016, 09:15 AM) *
Bills were able to convince Percy Harvin to come out of retirement. 1M for 8 games...

Word on the street is T.O. is itching to play again...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.