Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ice water....
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Don't they know that you can't freeze a Philly kicker in Dallas?
mcnabbulous
Freezing kickers is the dumbest practice in football.

"Let me give a professional a practice attempt!" - dumbass NFL coaches
SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 30 2016, 10:04 PM) *

Yeah. I love it when a HC calls the timeout and the kicker follows through and the ball sails wide left or right. And then on the next attempt, after taking into account how the previous kick drifted to the left or right, this time he splits the uprights.

Thanks for the practice kick, dumbass.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 30 2016, 09:07 PM) *
Yeah. I love it when a HC calls the timeout and the kicker follows through and the ball sails wide left or right. And then on the next attempt, after taking into account how the previous kick drifted to the left or right, this time he splits the uprights.

Thanks for the practice kick, dumbass.

Exactly. I understand calling a time out to let the guy think about it, but actually going through with the kick is beyond stupid.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 30 2016, 10:04 PM) *

It has its purpose and time/place. It worked earlier this morning in the Washington/Bengals game.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 30 2016, 09:15 PM) *
It has its purpose and time/place. It worked earlier this morning in the Washington/Bengals game.

I don't know the circumstances you're referring to, but I am skeptical that "it" was the cause of what you describe.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 30 2016, 10:23 PM) *
I don't know the circumstances you're referring to, but I am skeptical that "it" was the cause of what you describe.

Well there's this:

Since 2001 (including the playoffs), kickers have successfully hit field goals at an 81 percent rate when no timeout was called prior to the snap, and 76 percent when a timeout was called.

However, it’s worth noting that the average distance on “iced” kicks is 39 yards, compared to 36 yards on kicks on which timeout was not called.

Also interesting: In overtime, the average distance of kicks after timeouts and kicks with no timeouts called is about the same (37 yards).

In that instance, “icing the kicker” by calling timeout works. Kickers hit only 69 percent when “iced”, 87 percent when they are not

mcnabbulous
Does that differentiate between the ones where a guy gets a practice kick and when they don't?
D Rock
I hate it. It's a coward's way to win. And I can't recall many examples of it working.

I thought we should have tried the 57 yarder on our 2nd to last regulation drive. Caleb nailed that 55 yarder with room to spare.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 31 2016, 12:51 AM) *
I hate it. It's a coward's way to win. And I can't recall many examples of it working.

I thought we should have tried the 57 yarder on our 2nd to last regulation drive. Caleb nailed that 55 yarder with room to spare.

It was 54 I believe. Of course we should have tried it. Doug coached scared all night long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.