Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, after 6 games, in his rookie season...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Only looking at his cumulative totals, I've got Wentz as slightly below average, somewhere between 14-25 in just about every major statistic.

I'd love to see him bounce back and put up some good numbers this game.
mcnabbulous
It's such a small sample size that it's hard to make too many definitive statements about anything thus far.

Especially because his past two games have been skewed by 1) our rookie OT getting demolished and 2) playing against a nasty MIN defense.

He's shown everything we could possibly ask for as it relates to skill and playmaking ability. I anticipated hiccups along the way, which is good for a rookie. It means he's taking chances.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2016, 02:42 PM) *
It's such a small sample size that it's hard to make too many definitive statements about anything thus far.

Especially because his past two games have been skewed by 1) our rookie OT getting demolished and 2) playing against a nasty MIN defense.

He's shown everything we could possibly ask for as it relates to skill and playmaking ability. I anticipated hiccups along the way, which is good for a rookie. It means he's taking chances.

It is actually 3 straight games.....but it is to be expected.....what is concerning is it seems to be 3 straight games of decline. Watching the replay he had a pretty bad day and his "rookie OT" did much better this game....much, much better.

Interesting to see how the QB Cabal rights the ship
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 25 2016, 01:48 PM) *
It is actually 3 straight games.....but it is to be expected.....what is concerning is it seems to be 3 straight games of decline. Watching the replay he had a pretty bad day and his "rookie OT" did much better this game....much, much better.

Interesting to see how the QB Cabal rights the ship

Let me get this straight...

You think the game where he completed 75% of his passes and had a 100+ TD rating was a bad game? He threw one questionably bad pass, but overall he was solid.

Yeah, his OL played better yesterday, but it was a superior overall defense he was facing and they made it tough on him. They've made every QB look bad this year.
Joegrane
A Rodgers did not look good vs Vikes. I only saw a couple of his possessions in that game. I wonder if his numbers were inflated by prevent D towards the end since they were down 17-7.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016091813/2...nalyze=boxscore

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2016, 02:55 PM) *

You think the game where he completed 75% of his passes and had a 100+ TD rating was a bad game? He threw one questionably bad pass, but overall he was solid.

Yeah, his OL played better yesterday, but it was a superior overall defense he was facing and they made it tough on him. They've made every QB look bad this year.

Phits
QUOTE (xsv @ Oct 25 2016, 02:21 PM) *
Only looking at his cumulative totals, I've got Wentz as slightly below average, somewhere between 14-25 in just about every major statistic.

His 'post bye' play has been shaky and very sporadic. Some of his passes in the first 3 games were fortunate to no be intercepted. Those same gun slinger passes didn't provide the same fortune in the last three games. I'm still waiting for that fourth quarter comeback performance, but overall I still like him as our franchise QB. This season should be a wash, so if he can lead us to the post season it's all gravy.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 25 2016, 05:10 PM) *
A Rodgers did not look good vs Vikes. I only saw a couple of his possessions in that game. I wonder if his numbers were inflated by prevent D towards the end since they were down 17-7.

FWIW, Rodgers hasn't looked "good" all season.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2016, 02:55 PM) *

My apologies, it began in the 2nd half of that game and it was not a questionably bad pass, it was a horrible gaffe because they had 90 seconds to move 40 yards for a FG that wins the game....and a bad pass. But we can agree to disagree....

Wentz's performance was actually the lowest passing total to date vs. the Vikes.....and that is with his line not giving up a sack.....Big V actually played well. He needs to hit bottom and start going back up.

I am still waiting for all those "he is missing guys running wide open" clowns to start chirping......lol
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 25 2016, 06:25 PM) *
I am still waiting for all those "he is missing guys running wide open" clowns to start chirping......lol

He is missing guys running open, especially over the top. Often times he appears to make the more difficult pass. One specific example is in his first game. He made a tight window pass to JMATT that resulted in a nice completion on a good catch. He must have locked onto him when he started feeling the pressure, because he had a receiver running free over the top.

Around the 41s mark

He made a similar pass attempt this week that got picked off.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 25 2016, 05:25 PM) *
Wentz's performance was actually the lowest passing total to date vs. the Vikes.....and that is with his line not giving up a sack.....Big V actually played well. He needs to hit bottom and start going back up.

Yeah, it's not like we had a relatively dominant lead and weren't required to come back and throw the ball like every other team he faced.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2016, 08:32 PM) *
Yeah, it's not like we had a relatively dominant lead and weren't required to come back and throw the ball like every other team he faced.

? We were winning 11-3 at the hald and they had him hand off a lot....I realize you sometimes go a little nuts to defend a point but do you really think they were trying to run out the clock with an 11-3 lead?....lol

By the way.............Panthers led at halftime....and very few of their games were blowouts...but you think that he threw for 138 yards because the Eagles had a huge lead...lol And then you wonder.....wow
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 25 2016, 08:11 PM) *
? We were winning 11-3 at the hald and they had him hand off a lot....I realize you sometimes go a little nuts to defend a point but do you really think they were trying to run out the clock with an 11-3 lead?....lol

Against Sam Bradford that day? Yes.

By the way.............Panthers led at halftime....and very few of their games were blowouts...but you think that he threw for 138 yards because the Eagles had a huge lead...lol And then you wonder.....wow

I didn't say that's why he threw for 138. I just said that he's the only guy that was defending a sizeable lead in the 4th.

But if you want to compare him to last year's MVP then so be it. Cam also threw for one fewer TD and one more INT.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2016, 09:48 PM) *
I didn't say that's why he threw for 138. I just said that he's the only guy that was defending a sizeable lead in the 4th.

But if you want to compare him to last year's MVP then so be it. Cam also threw for one fewer TD and one more INT.

You are funny...I can go back and look at the first half but they started running the ball immediately to start the 2nd half and Wentz looked clueless when you watch it the 2nd time....he just had a bad game and they took the ball out of his hands for the most part....I am not saying he is a mistake, just that he had a bad game...it was inevitable and it was his 2nd in a row.

I am not comparing him to anyone....You said the low passing total was because of a "sizable lead' and that is complete bullshit. The low total was because he was not playing well and they ran the ball from the start of the 2nd half. You have to admit those 2 first half picks were horrible.....the one over Celek's head was as bad as it gets.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 25 2016, 11:25 PM) *
Wentz's performance was actually the lowest passing total to date vs. the Vikes.....

And also the only win to date vs. the Vikes. I'll take it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 25 2016, 10:49 PM) *
You are funny...I can go back and look at the first half but they started running the ball immediately to start the 2nd half and Wentz looked clueless when you watch it the 2nd time....he just had a bad game and they took the ball out of his hands for the most part....I am not saying he is a mistake, just that he had a bad game...it was inevitable and it was his 2nd in a row.

I am not comparing him to anyone....You said the low passing total was because of a "sizable lead' and that is complete bullshit. The low total was because he was not playing well and they ran the ball from the start of the 2nd half. You have to admit those 2 first half picks were horrible.....the one over Celek's head was as bad as it gets.

Once again. I didn't say the low total was because of the lead. I said he is only opposing QB who had a lead.

I agree he played poorly, but it was against a great defense who has made every QB play poorly. But using total passing yards is a dumb and flawed data point because he is the only opposing QB who had no need to accumulate yards and points for most of the second half. As a result, it's pretty obvious he was held back due to his early struggles.

And it's also why Sam's garbage time TD and yards skewed just how awful his checkdown tendancies are.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 26 2016, 02:47 AM) *
Once again. I didn't say the low total was because of the lead. I said he is only opposing QB who had a lead.

I agree he played poorly, but it was against a great defense who has made every QB play poorly. But using total passing yards is a dumb and flawed data point because he is the only opposing QB who had no need to accumulate yards and points for most of the second half. As a result, it's pretty obvious he was held back due to his early struggles.

And it's also why Sam's garbage time TD and yards skewed just how awful his checkdown tendancies are.

I am not surprised that Wentz played poorly....tough D, rookie QB with several game tapes for DCs to look at...I still think you are right and he is going to be special....just a bad game...he will have those....still way ahead of what I expected.

I watched the game twice....the check downs were all the Vikes could get although he still hit a bunch of 10-20 yard completions he was getting hit as he threw constantly. The one to Johnson was a great example, he had him and threw deep as he got hit and it made the ball come up short.

JeeQ
I rate Wentz at 4 wins and 2 losses... the only stat line that matters at the end of the day

I'll admit I have bias but so far he completely passes the eyeball test with me

There's game winners and game managers, and Wentz is a game winner. It's not even his skills (which have been impressive for a rookie) but his intangibles I'm enjoying the most.

It's his first year and he's calling his own plays and audibles at the line. I haven't seen a Philly QB do this since umm... uhh... exactly

Love it or hate it he's got that Favre gunslinger gene. I can't wait until he has the right WR to match his guts. Wentz will throw it into double and triple coverage if he sees a potential 6 we just need an aggressive playmaker to compliment this.

Swagger. Yes, I said swagger. The kid has come in with the confidence of an all-pro from the moment he was drafted. First he's told he won't even take the field this season as he'll be sitting behind Bradford and Daniels. Then he gets told just days before the start of the NFL season while he's out hunting that "Surprise!" You're now the starting QB of the Eagles. So what does he do?

Drops 29 on the Browns, wins. Drops 29 on the Bears in Chicago, wins. Then drops 34 on the damn Steelers, another win. He wasn't done there though. He takes down the only undefeated team left in the league.

If Wentz never wins another game this season I'll still be satisfied with him for a rookie season
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 26 2016, 09:52 PM) *
I rate Wentz at 4 wins and 2 losses... the only stat line that matters at the end of the day

I'll admit I have bias but so far he completely passes the eyeball test with me

There's game winners and game managers, and Wentz is a game winner. It's not even his skills (which have been impressive for a rookie) but his intangibles I'm enjoying the most.

It's his first year and he's calling his own plays and audibles at the line. I haven't seen a Philly QB do this since umm... uhh... exactly

If Wentz never wins another game this season I'll still be satisfied with him for a rookie season

He has done very well....have to love it.....I would have liked to see him lead a come from behind win in his 2 chances but he is a rookie.

We have a lot to look forward to if this is him just learning.
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 26 2016, 11:20 PM) *
He has done very well....have to love it.....I would have liked to see him lead a come from behind win in his 2 chances but he is a rookie.

We have a lot to look forward to if this is him just learning.

That's the next thing I want to see from him. But, to be fair, if Agohlar (never can spell his name) was a remotely good receiver, he may have led a comeback the 2nd chance he had...
Pila
QUOTE (xsv @ Oct 25 2016, 07:21 PM) *

He's exceeded all expectations. The talent, attitude and that nao-sei-que are undeniable.

Creative offensive tactics were very good in getting him started. But those become tendencies, and record as history for study. So as defenses nullify scheme more each time, the challenge becomes greater, and supporting talent become more significant. That will have an impact on his lack of experience and challenge the offense more as a whole. And that is what we are seeing now.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 27 2016, 11:01 AM) *
nao-sei-que

Hold on there babalooey!

That's got to be the most expensive word typed on this board from day one!

No drunken binge of unpolished prose from Pila tonight!
Pila
You monolinguals are too easily impressed. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.