Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This season feels alot like the Early 90's
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Fast starts before hitting some hiccups. Dominating defense. An offense struggling to get going, with a lack of playmakers except at QB.

I remember one season (93?) we played Dallas on Monday night and our records were similar (Their 6-0 vs our 4-2) to what they are now. We ended up winning that game, and the playoffs, but lost in the first round.

It feels like Deja vu.

Joegrane
This team still feels too mediocre to me.

They can look great against teams with a weak O Line, but can get beaten by below average teams with a good O Line.

QUOTE (xsv @ Oct 25 2016, 02:16 PM) *
Fast starts before hitting some hiccups. Dominating defense. An offense struggling to get going, with a lack of playmakers except at QB.

I remember one season (93?) we played Dallas on Monday night and our records were similar (Their 6-0 vs our 4-2) to what they are now. We ended up winning that game, and the playoffs, but lost in the first round.

It feels like Deja vu.

Phits
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 25 2016, 05:29 PM) *

They can look great against teams with a weak O Line, but can get beaten by below average teams with a good O Line.

I don't think mediocre is a fair assessment. Our team (especially the D) has played to our competition. Beating Pittsburgh when we did was an huge accomplishment as was the manhandling of the Vikings. Based on reports, our D had a good read on Bradford's tendencies and were able to exploit them.
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 25 2016, 05:29 PM) *

I don't think you're being fair. There are 20 new players on the active squad, half of them are rookies. They have new systems and new coaches. They traded their starting QB a week before the season started. To think that this team would/could be cruising through the season like a veteran team that's been together for a few years is crazy. That they are doing as well as they are, not even half way through the season is really pretty amazing.
nephillymike
By most all measures so far, the Eagles are a top 12 team in the NFL and top 6 in the NFC.

They are playoff caliber.

In the NFC, all you need is a chip and a chair.

We're at the table.
Joegrane
Sure the Pitt W was nice but at the time people thought Pitt's previous victims-- Skins and the Bengals-- would be better than they seem to be now.

Pitt was banged up on D and have that young L OT that the Eagles released a year or so ago.

After Pitt's two recent losses they don't look like an elite team.

The Eagles' had a special knowledge of Sam's tendencies and the big advantage in the battle with Mn's O line. Mn had important injuries there. That turned out to be a really tough matchup for Mn's offense, rather than a strong reflection on the talent of the two teams.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm encouraged by the Eagles this year. They are showing that they can play with anyone. They are not as bad as I feared. There is reason to hope that some young players in positions of weakness--Big V, DGB, J Mills--can grow and help the team to improve.

QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 25 2016, 06:27 PM) *
I don't think mediocre is a fair assessment. Our team (especially the D) has played to our competition. Beating Pittsburgh when we did was an huge accomplishment as was the manhandling of the Vikings. Based on reports, our D had a good read on Bradford's tendencies and were able to exploit them.

D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 26 2016, 02:08 AM) *
Sure the Pitt W was nice but at the time people thought Pitt's previous victims-- Skins and the Bengals-- would be better than they seem to be now.

Pitt was banged up on D and have that young L OT that the Eagles released a year or so ago.

After Pitt's two recent losses they don't look like an elite team.

The Eagles' had a special knowledge of Sam's tendencies and the big advantage in the battle with Mn's O line. Mn had important injuries there. That turned out to be a really tough matchup for Mn's offense, rather than a strong reflection on the talent of the two teams.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm encouraged by the Eagles this year. They are showing that they can play with anyone. They are not as bad as I feared. There is reason to hope that some young players in positions of weakness--Big V, DGB, J Mills--can grow and help the team to improve.

The bengals are under achieving expectations, but the foreskins are fully in the hunt in our division as expected. And Pitt's recent struggles might have something to do with no Rapistburger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.