Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sam Bradford is good
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
mcnabbulous
At being mediocre as hell
mcnabbulous
Game. Manager.
nephillymike
I don't miss the 2nd and 18 down by three Scores two yard pass over the middle.
nephillymike
Or the 2nd and goal from the 32 two yard pass.
nephillymike
Real nice TD throw by Sleeves
mcnabbulous
His garbage time TD doesn't change anything. That dude is a check down Charlie.
Joegrane
I'd like to hear from someone who was there and could see the entire field. It is really hard to imagine that our DBs had their WRs locked down such that Sam had no one to throw to.

I realize he only had a couple of seconds before one of our DEs would be on him but it was amazing how rarely he threw to a WR.

Was their coach just not calling short routes for the WRs. That seems really stupid since they essentially had a FB catching balls over the middle while trying to get back into the game.

The Eagles O Line was surprisingly effective in the running game. Maybe that is why they like Barbre at L OG.

Big V mostly held his own today although they did not seem to run towards his side very often. That is very encouraging for the future.

The LBs responded well to the but whipping last week. They were more active and reliable esp against the run.

I don't think we will see any posts from the big mouth from MN.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 23 2016, 04:23 PM) *
His garbage time TD doesn't change anything. That dude is a check down Charlie.
Pila
Defense returned to form. Not sure this was in Bradford, but an excellent game by the defense, especially when Wentz struggled.

The KO return TD was huge. Completely have us all momentum.
Reality Fan
Sadly I was involved in a charity event and only got to see bits and pieces of the game though I did record it.

I will have to watch it later...sounds like our D really abused the Minny line which it should have....I heard Jake Long showed why he was available.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 23 2016, 09:02 PM) *
Game. Manager.

Check down Charlie.
Reality Fan
Sielski has a spot on article about it

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports...-379845631.html
The Franchise
Bradford looked terrible, but he was running for his life all day. Our D line stepped up big time.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 24 2016, 05:13 PM) *

About what? Ancient history?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 24 2016, 12:47 PM) *
About what? Ancient history?

yeah....that was the article's theme.....lol...great stuff...tell the wife
Reality Fan
Ok...now I watched the game....and it was ugly as hell.

Bradford was beaten up like he owed Schwartz money....he got hit like crazy, I am amazed he made it out alive. He did not look good. The pick was a result of getting hit and having his arm hit but he needs to feel pressure better. That being said it is pretty funny calling him check down on a day like that...by the way, Wentz did not throw a pass more than 7 yards the entire 2nd half and they took the ball out of his hands quite a bit. I may go rewatch the 1st half but his throws that were completed were all short throws....the one that was a bit depressing was a terrible throw toward Ertz where he had Celek 10 yards deeper and completely uncovered. It appears teams have made an adjustment to the rookie and now it is his turn to do the same to them. The good thing is that he does not panic.

But damn that was ugly to watch.....the Vikings drove several times and kept coming up empty.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 24 2016, 07:19 PM) *
The pick was a result of getting hit and having his arm hit but he needs to feel pressure better.

If he threw that ball on time, he had a chance and the pressure wouldn't have been a factor. Instead, Sam held it too long and got hit. I'm not sure where he was going with that ball anyways. It was way too late to connect with that receiver.

That's Sam's deal though. He lacks anticipation and likes to throw to guys after they have gotten open. It's why he doesn't throw many picks, but also why he is an average QB.

Here is the play in question. https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/790613268087840769
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 24 2016, 08:44 PM) *
If he threw that ball on time, he had a chance and the pressure wouldn't have been a factor. Instead, Sam held it too long and got hit. I'm not sure where he was going with that ball anyways. It was way too late to connect with that receiver.

That's Sam's deal though. He lacks anticipation and likes to throw to guys after they have gotten open. It's why he doesn't throw many picks, but also why he is an average QB.

Here is the play in question. https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/790613268087840769

If I had to guess and that is all we can do because every single receiver was covered I would guess he was going to either throw it high or away...there was nowhere to go with the ball to any other option. Espn showed it from 3 angles
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 25 2016, 01:19 AM) *
Ok...now I watched the game....and it was ugly as hell.

Bradford was beaten up like he owed Schwartz money....he got hit like crazy, I am amazed he made it out alive. He did not look good. The pick was a result of getting hit and having his arm hit but he needs to feel pressure better. That being said it is pretty funny calling him check down on a day like that...by the way, Wentz did not throw a pass more than 7 yards the entire 2nd half and they took the ball out of his hands quite a bit. I may go rewatch the 1st half but his throws that were completed were all short throws....the one that was a bit depressing was a terrible throw toward Ertz where he had Celek 10 yards deeper and completely uncovered. It appears teams have made an adjustment to the rookie and now it is his turn to do the same to them. The good thing is that he does not panic.

But damn that was ugly to watch.....the Vikings drove several times and kept coming up empty.

His arm was hit, to be sure. But, he still threw into triple coverage.

The Check-down-Charlie moniker was earned in the late 4th quarter, when he threw 4-6 consecutive balls to the fullback while down 2+ scores with under 5 mins left in the game.

Way to pad the stats Sammie!

laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 24 2016, 10:46 PM) *
His arm was hit, to be sure. But, he still threw into triple coverage.

The Check-down-Charlie moniker was earned in the late 4th quarter, when he threw 4-6 consecutive balls to the fullback while down 2+ scores with under 5 mins left in the game.

Way to pad the stats Sammie!

laugh.gif

Yep...he should have thrown into the same coverage you chastise him for.....you do realize that the Eagles left the underneath open playing the prevent...I mean you get that right? It is football 101 but maybe you missed that....and that is after the Vikes had issues getting open to begin with all game. Diggs was dinged up. He was not good yesterday, the entire offense was terrible...and the Eagles O was equally bad....and, as I said, Wentz was check down charlie the entire 2nd half. Maybe it was the wind affecting both guys....I had to watch the game on my DVR and I had to stop and rewind....Wentz did not connect on anything deep at all. The game was actually painful to watch, thank god I could fast forward to watch our D.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 25 2016, 03:56 AM) *
Yep...he should have thrown into the same coverage you chastise him for.....you do realize that the Eagles left the underneath open playing the prevent...I mean you get that right? It is football 101 but maybe you missed that....and that is after the Vikes had issues getting open to begin with all game. Diggs was dinged up. He was not good yesterday, the entire offense was terrible...and the Eagles O was equally bad....and, as I said, Wentz was check down charlie the entire 2nd half. Maybe it was the wind affecting both guys....I had to watch the game on my DVR and I had to stop and rewind....Wentz did not connect on anything deep at all. The game was actually painful to watch, thank god I could fast forward to watch our D.

Uh, yeah. This has nothing to do with wentz.

Throwing into triple coverage, in the red zone, with a 3 point lead in the 1st quarter. Vs. refusing to attempt to go down the field while down 2+ scores at the end of the game.

Check-down-Charlie, and stupid to boot.

laugh.gif wub.gif

I can't decide which is more pathetic, nabby's refusal to admit Geno phuquing Smith has no business in the NFL, or your refusal to admit (after 7? years of evidence) that Sam Bradford is a game manager and not a franchise QB. Either way, the theater is great fun!

tongue.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 24 2016, 11:28 PM) *
Uh, yeah. This has nothing to do with wentz.

Throwing into triple coverage, in the red zone, with a 3 point lead in the 1st quarter. Vs. refusing to attempt to go down the field while down 2+ scores at the end of the game.

Check-down-Charlie, and stupid to boot.

laugh.gif wub.gif

I can't decide which is more pathetic, nabby's refusal to admit Geno phuquing Smith has no business in the NFL, or your refusal to admit (after 7? years of evidence) that Sam Bradford is a game manager and not a franchise QB. Either way, the theater is great fun!

tongue.gif

trust me....you are well acquainted with pathetic....you just don't realize it.

you realize there is no underneath when the line of scrimmage is the 5? You can't just throw downfield when there is nothing there....you go underneath and hope they break a tackle or 2.

But it is funny how you scream "check down" for a few reasons....first, now on a real team Bradford is 6th in the league in YPA(or was to start the game)......and in the top half in AYA (even though I think it is a silly stat...but Mikey likes it) and Wentz, your god and wunderkind is well behind him.....and second, you say it in a game where the opposing QB (Wentz) did not complete a pass that traveled more then 7 yards past the line of scrimmage the entire 2nd half....I will have to watch the first half again but there was only one QB who actually completed balls downfield and he was not wearing green. That is check down charlie in action.....try checking out stats. They both had bad games...it happens. Did Sammy steal your tampons or something?
D Rock
Oh, I'm hyper aware of just how "acquainted with pathetic" I am. You've exposed me to it for nearly 20 years.

Sam Bradford is a game manager.

At Best!

You? Little beyond a crotechety old wind bag that knows as much about football as a 5 year old.
nephillymike
I thought it interesting in listening to post game interviews with Eagles players what their game plan was.

A few defensive players mentioned how They knew that Sam's first move when blitzed was to look to the short side line check down and not to look down field. They decided to crowd those routes and had faith that the rush would get there before he could,or was willing, to go down field. That was Schwartz's plan and he uncharacteristically blitzed often to accomplish it.

With a sub par line and WR's and the blue print exposed, I think Sleeves will have a rough time most of the rest of the year.

On a side note, I'm glad that Schwartz showed the blitz. It will give opposing offenses more to worry about going forward.
mcnabbulous
Good stuff, Mikey. I hadn't heard any of that.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 25 2016, 06:15 AM) *
I thought it interesting in listening to post game interviews with Eagles players what their game plan was.

A few defensive players mentioned how They knew that Sam's first move when blitzed was to look to the short side line check down and not to look down field. They decided to crowd those routes and had faith that the rush would get there before he could,or was willing, to go down field. That was Schwartz's plan and he uncharacteristically blitzed often to accomplish it.

With a sub par line and WR's and the blue print exposed, I think Sleeves will have a rough time most of the rest of the year.

On a side note, I'm glad that Schwartz showed the blitz. It will give opposing offenses more to worry about going forward.

If that means they start losing it means our #1 gets higher but the chance for our #4 moving to a #3 or #2 goes down. Personally, I'd prefer they lose out making the picks higher in the respective rounds.
Week 9 | Sunday, Nov. 6 | Detroit Lions
Week 10 | Sunday, Nov. 13 | at Washington Redskins
Week 11 | Sunday, Nov. 20 | Arizona Cardinals
Week 12 | Thursday, Nov. 24 | at Detroit Lions
Week 13 | Thursday, Dec. 1 | Dallas Cowboys
Week 14 | Sunday, Dec. 11 | at Jacksonville Jaguars
Week 15 | Sunday, Dec. 18 | Indianapolis Colts
Week 16 | Saturday, Dec. 24 | at Green Bay Packers
Week 17 | Sunday, Jan. 1 | Chicago Bears
Reality Fan

Minny will figure out their line enough to win....
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 25 2016, 10:41 AM) *
Minny will figure out their line enough to win....

have faith in your team do ya?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 25 2016, 10:58 AM) *

lol...my team? ohh...that was meant to be cute.... Hardly.....just a simple observation...they have a good defense and their offense had a bad day, it happens. I am more concerned about the Eagles whose offense was not much better and they have a much tougher schedule.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 24 2016, 10:28 PM) *
nabby's refusal to admit Geno phuquing Smith has no business in the NFL

Case Keenum is a starting QB. Don't go overboard with your rhetoric. Geno is, at the very least, a solid backup QB.

This league has a major QB issue.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2016, 05:52 PM) *
Case Keenum is a starting QB. Don't go overboard with your rhetoric. Geno is, at the very least, a solid backup QB.

This league has a major QB issue.

So you stand by your earlier assessment that he was worthy of a 1st round selection? 1st rounder for a guy who's potential ceiling is "solid backup?"
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 25 2016, 02:23 PM) *
So you stand by your earlier assessment that he was worthy of a 1st round selection? 1st rounder for a guy who's potential ceiling is "solid backup?"

At the time, yes -- taking the best QB in an awful draft was worthy of the risk.

The top-10 of that draft include:
1) An okay OT
2) A bad OT converted to guard
3) A trainwreck hybrid DE/LB who has multiple suspensions
4) A good OT who has multiple suspensions and is currently suspended
5) A good DE who was completely raw coming out of college
6) A bad DE/LB who has been traded
7) A bad guard ( laugh.gif ) who has been traded and released
8) An undersized WR who lacks a real position
9) A bad CB who isn't on an NFL roster
10) Chance Warmack ( laugh.gif )

It was the worst draft of all time where nearly every player came with serious risk. Taking the best QB in the draft was just as risky and came with far more upside.

Seeing as how Chip flamed out in Philly (and is doing so in SF) because he never got his QB, I still stand by it.

Despite what everyone tries to pretend, I never said he was a sure thing. He had intriguing upside both athletically and with his arm. I hoped it would be a good fit for Chip's unknown offense.

nephillymike
Nabby is a real Wallace Hartley:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/04/27/...-ship-sank.html

biggrin.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 25 2016, 07:44 PM) *

I've been called worse
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 25 2016, 07:58 AM) *

To be honest I fully expected him to jump over to the Vikings bandwagon if Samantha managed to beat us on Sunday
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 26 2016, 10:22 AM) *
To be honest I fully expected him to jump over to the Vikings bandwagon if Samantha managed to beat us on Sunday

and that is no surprise from either of you....neither will ever be confused with mensa candidates...
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 26 2016, 06:19 PM) *
and that is no surprise from either of you....neither will ever be confused with mensa candidates...

whereas....you....are...the....resident....genius....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 26 2016, 07:16 PM) *
whereas....you....are...the....resident....genius....

Not at all.....but I do look at the complete picture....
Joegrane
Not many teams will have the pass rushers on the D Line to make that happen.

Sam and the Vikes will do more max protect and throw it deeper.

Once their quicker RB heals, Sam will also have a better option out of the backfield in passing situations.

Their schedule doesn't look bad, especially in contrast to the Eagles'.

I'd rather have a low 1st and a low 2nd for the Eagles' needs--outside CB, feature RB, maybe Rt OT of the future or weak side OLB.

Reality Fan
It could work out that Big V excells more quickly that the 2 backup tackles in Minny or Jake Long is not done.

The good news is we only need to overcome one backup tackle.....and Wentz should make his adjustments and rebound.

mcnabbulous
Let the excuses begin. Norv Turner has resigned.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 2 2016, 09:40 AM) *

Pat Shurmur opportunity?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 2 2016, 06:23 PM) *
Pat Shurmur opportunity?

That's who took over. He and RF are the only remaining Bradford fanboys on earth.

Speaking of RF, did he slit his wrists after the Bears banged up on Sammy?
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 2 2016, 06:27 PM) *
That's who took over. He and RF are the only remaining Bradford fanboys on earth.

Good for Pat.

Good guy, good coach.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 2 2016, 07:40 AM) *

So...

Sam Bradford is so good Norv Turner rather quit than coach him
Joegrane
Maybe that is correct. Isn't Turner from the school of smash-mouth running game plus chuck it deep?

Turner does not have the O Line or RB for that now and has a QB with a long reputation for short passing.

Maybe the Bradford + Shurmur WCO philosophy better fits the tough situation they have on the O Line. I would not be surprised if they utilize occasional tempo from their ChipK days.

This is still a shocking development for a team that a couple of weeks ago was thought to be among the NFL's elite.

QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 2 2016, 09:08 PM) *
So...

Sam Bradford is so good Norv Turner rather quit than coach him

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 2 2016, 08:40 PM) *
Good for Pat.

Good guy, good coach.

Agreed, but I continue to hope they don't win another game. biggrin.gif
mcnabbulous
Is Pat really a good coach? I don't know if the evidence supports that.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 2 2016, 07:19 PM) *
Maybe that is correct. Isn't Turner from the school of smash-mouth running game plus chuck it deep?

Turner does not have the O Line or RB for that now and has a QB with a long reputation for short passing.

Maybe the Bradford + Shurmur WCO philosophy better fits the tough situation they have on the O Line. I would not be surprised if they utilize occasional tempo from their ChipK days.

This is still a shocking development for a team that a couple of weeks ago was thought to be among the NFL's elite.

It was all good just two weeks ago
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 2 2016, 07:27 PM) *

Why would I care? Just because I think he is a good QB and I don't foolishly ignore the situation he was in for 5 years like some idiot here does not mean I care. I hope he does well and I will wager he does. I am not the idiot that says he does not throw downfield...

He got abused by a terible game plan and Turner bore Zimmer's brunt...no great shock...Minny will either figure out its line issues or they won't win....I know, Wentz can win even with a terrible line and yet many here moaned when we lost one tackle and Minny lost 2. Would you like to wager which team makes the playoffs? The promised one has looked progressively worse for 3 weeks...worry about that.
nephillymike
In fairness to Sleeves, I had Minny -4.5, so his fate was sealed and he was powerless to change the course of the jinx. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.