Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I've got to be better, especially late in the game
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Any time an offense has a chance to win at the end of the game and you come up short, it's frustrating. I put that on myself

Wentz

On the quarterback's third pass, he rolled outside on a naked bootleg, but there was additional pressure after Vaitai missed his assignment and Wentz's throw sailed over an open Jordan Matthews.

He dropped a 54-yard dime to Matthews on a deep post, he hit Green-Beckham on a 22-yard dig, and he hooked up with tight end Zach Ertz on a 22-yard seam route. But Wentz couldn't connect with Ertz on a third-down slant at the Redskins 10-yard line with 5:29 left.

"I threw it high," Wentz said, "and made it hard on him."

On the Eagles' ensuing drive, Wentz had maybe his best toss when he side-armed a heave to Agholor for 18 yards on third and 9. But two plays later he was sacked back-to-back.

"I've got to get the ball out," Wentz said. "I can't take those sacks. That's definitely on me."

mcnabbulous
Ertz has to catch that ball.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 18 2016, 04:54 PM) *

100%
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 18 2016, 10:54 AM) *

I stick up for the receivers more than others as far as what balls they should catch but HE should have caught that ball. It was not high.

AND

the next tackle he breaks will be the first tackle he breaks.
Reality Fan
If I hear how great Ertz is or will be one more time I will puke.....Burton should see more time
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 19 2016, 09:27 AM) *
If I hear how great Ertz is or will be one more time I will puke.....Burton should see more time

Totally. Ertz is one of the biggest letdowns of recent memory.
D Rock
LJ Smith part deux.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 19 2016, 10:27 AM) *

Ertz is going to be great. devil03.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 21 2016, 05:34 AM) *
Ertz is going to be great. devil03.gif

now get over here and clean it up!!!

laugh.gif
JeeQ
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 19 2016, 07:27 AM) *

Yes, Yes, and more Yes. Been saying this forever. Give Burton some burn. Ertz keeps getting touted as a top TE but I haven't seen it. I still don't think he's even surpassed Celek
Joegrane
How many catches was he making per game in the first few? If I recall he was a catching machine, including a couple circus catches.

He might not be 100% recovered but he is still useful as a decoy for getting other receivers open.

If he is not 100% he might be a little slower getting his arms up to catch high throws. The one he dropped in the Red Zone was somewhat high and had some zip on it.

QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 21 2016, 10:14 AM) *
Yes, Yes, and more Yes. Been saying this forever. Give Burton some burn. Ertz keeps getting touted as a top TE but I haven't seen it. I still don't think he's even surpassed Celek

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 21 2016, 10:40 AM) *
How many catches was he making per game in the first few? If I recall he was a catching machine, including a couple circus catches.

He might not be 100% recovered but he is still useful as a decoy for getting other receivers open.

If he is not 100% he might be a little slower getting his arms up to catch high throws. The one he dropped in the Red Zone was somewhat high and had some zip on it.

First few? He played against Cleveland and got hurt......and Burton came in and they did not miss a beat.

The throw on 3rd down was not "high", he did not have to jump for it and it was a catchable ball. Whether he would have scored is another question but that is a catch that needs to be made.

He is grossly, grossly overrated and the fact that he could not supplant Celek, a move the Eagles were praying for, speaks volumes.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 21 2016, 12:18 PM) *
First few? He played against Cleveland and got hurt......and Burton came in and they did not miss a beat.

The throw on 3rd down was not "high", he did not have to jump for it and it was a catchable ball. Whether he would have scored is another question but that is a catch that needs to be made.

He is grossly, grossly overrated and the fact that he could not supplant Celek, a move the Eagles were praying for, speaks volumes.

RF we are like twins here buddy. Hell might be freezing over.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 21 2016, 06:11 PM) *
RF we are like twins here buddy. Hell might be freezing over.

Well, I did notice that it is much colder now than four hours ago.

You could be on to something!
Rick
Other than Matthews, this whole receiving group is garbage. And Matthews isn't AWESOME, just good. Whenever Wentz throws the ball I expect a drop or a receiver to be covered who might make a catch. These guys just don't get open.

But we've beaten this horse to death...
Joegrane
Thx for the reminder about the injury in the first game.

He was a beast in that game and he was playing with a messed up rib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZTVVx3v8w

You could criticize him for being injury prone but when healthy he has played well. Recall the end of the year last year when he put up nice numbers with Sam.

He is definitely not LJ Smith.

Maybe we've been somewhat spoiled by the consistency of Celek--his reliable hands and durability.

I'll stand by my previous statement about the pass being "somewhat high and had some zip on it." In that situation I'd rather have the ball waist level so I would be better prepared to lower my head and fight for the end zone. It is at the 5min mark of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-eVNO_sps

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 21 2016, 10:40 AM) *

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 22 2016, 12:06 PM) *
Thx for the reminder about the injury in the first game.

He was a beast in that game and he was playing with a messed up rib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZTVVx3v8w

You could criticize him for being injury prone but when healthy he has played well. Recall the end of the year last year when he put up nice numbers with Sam.

He is definitely not LJ Smith.

Maybe we've been somewhat spoiled by the consistency of Celek--his reliable hands and durability.

I'll stand by my previous statement about the pass being "somewhat high and had some zip on it." In that situation I'd rather have the ball waist level so I would be better prepared to lower my head and fight for the end zone. It is at the 5min mark of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-eVNO_sps

Thanks for all of the passes video. Good stuff.

I watched the Ertz drop several times on DVR, and it was at the top of his helmet. It wasn't a bullet either.

That drop was 90% on Ertz IMO. He wouldn't have broken a tackle for a TD, but he should have caught it.

Inside the Eagles show on Comcast showed Ertz opened many times in the game. Sometimes Wentz didn't have the time to get to his option, but other times Wentz skipped a wide open Ertz for a riskier throw to the worst WR corps in the league. Not a wise decision.
Joegrane
Maybe the game plan was to preserve a less-than-100% Ertz for critical situations such as that Red Zone opportunity rather than take a pounding like he did in game 1.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 22 2016, 02:26 PM) *
Thanks for all of the passes video. Good stuff.

I watched the Ertz drop several times on DVR, and it was at the top of his helmet. It wasn't a bullet either.

That drop was 90% on Ertz IMO. He wouldn't have broken a tackle for a TD, but he should have caught it.

Inside the Eagles show on Comcast showed Ertz opened many times in the game. Sometimes Wentz didn't have the time to get to his option, but other times Wentz skipped a wide open Ertz for a riskier throw to the worst WR corps in the league. Not a wise decision.
Joegrane
This is a young WR group and they know they are not going anywhere this year. By continuing to throw their way they get an opportunity to grow and learn.

For example, hopefully Agholor learns that he'll be more successful when he gains strength.

Hopefully they will also have some success and develop confidence and a rapport with their young QB.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 22 2016, 02:26 PM) *

nephillymike
Who knows they are not going anywhere this year?

Do you really think that is the mindset of the team, its coaches and its GM?

They spent more of the cap than they ever have, with a pretty burdensome cap next year.

I find it hard to believe that Don Howie is OK with that thinking.

Didn't seem that Jeffrey was either.

I would think that they would voice similar expectations to their coaches, who would to the players.
Phits
I believe that was the (logical) game plan heading into the season. Our early season success isn't a definite indication of how good we are as a team. The architects of this squad have to stay with the course. Continue to play hard and create an identity that helps us moving forward. It may get us to the playoffs. Any other thinking is fools gold.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 22 2016, 11:20 PM) *

They spent more of the cap than they ever have, with a pretty burdensome cap next year.

I would think that they would voice similar expectations to their coaches, who would to the players.

Phits
I believe that was the (logical) game plan heading into the season. Our early season success isn't a definite indication of how good we are as a team. The architects of this squad have to stay with the course. Continue to play hard and create an identity that helps us moving forward. It may get us to the playoffs. Any other thinking is fools gold.

I still think Ertz stinks.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 22 2016, 11:20 PM) *

Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 23 2016, 12:18 AM) *
I still think Ertz stinks.

Huh? He hasn't lived up to his hype, for sure. Injuries have affected his performance as has QB rotation, but "stinks?"
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 23 2016, 07:41 AM) *
Huh? He hasn't lived up to his hype, for sure. Injuries have affected his performance as has QB rotation, but "stinks?"

It was hyperbole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.