Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Positive Slant
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
If you believe, as I do, that the Eagles are not a good enough team to go 5-0, then you would happily take a loss @ DET for a win @WAS.

That's my slant and I'm sticking to it !

On the negative side, I heard that we have the toughest schedule in the NFL the rest of the way.

Ouch!
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 12 2016, 09:33 PM) *
If you believe, as I do, that the Eagles are not a good enough team to go 5-0, then you would happily take a loss @ DET for a win @WAS.

That's my slant and I'm sticking to it !

On the negative side, I heard that we have the toughest schedule in the NFL the rest of the way.

Ouch!

Funny how that works. Going into the season we had one of the easiest schedules....
Joegrane
Probably because Dallas's record last year was due to Romo's injury and this year Dak has been solid for them.

Atlanta is better than expected. There are probably no bad teams in he NFC East. The Ravens had many injuries last year.

If they can end the year with 8 wins considering this schedule and the loss of L Johnson, I like their chances to be a playoff contender next year.

QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 12 2016, 09:38 PM) *
Funny how that works. Going into the season we had one of the easiest schedules....

nephillymike
According to the prediction site 538, here are the playoff teams and projected # wins:

MIN. 12.7
SEA 10.7
ATL. 10.4
DAL 9.6
==========
GB 10.5
PHI 9.4

So they have us a wildcard team, travel to ATL in round 1. Right behind DAL in the East.

Playoff appearance is still the expectation for me.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 12 2016, 09:33 PM) *

I'm not sure that's truly a negative. This team won't realistically go all the way this year. With a rookie coach and rookie QB, shallow LB corps, unreliable WRs, LJ suspension and suspect-at-best CBs they not only need experience but they need players. Facing tough opponents week after week should better prepare them for a serious move to the ranks of the elite. Playing against the best will show Douglas, Weidl and Roseman where their priorities are.
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 13 2016, 11:10 AM) *
I'm not sure that's truly a negative. This team won't realistically go all the way this year. With a rookie coach and rookie QB, shallow LB corps, unreliable WRs, LJ suspension and suspect-at-best CBs they not only need experience but they need players. Facing tough opponents week after week should better prepare them for a serious move to the ranks of the elite. Playing against the best will show Douglas, Weidl and Roseman where their priorities are.

What!? You shame your namesake's alter ego!

It's superbowl or bust!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 13 2016, 06:10 AM) *

I like this line of thinking. With that said, making the playoffs and gaining that experience would also have long term benefits.

Hard to imagine a serious run next year if we don't even make the playoffs this year.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 13 2016, 01:22 PM) *
Hard to imagine a serious run next year if we don't even make the playoffs this year.

Even if we made the post season it would be hard to imagine us prepared for a serious run next season.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 13 2016, 06:15 PM) *
Even if we made the post season it would be hard to imagine us prepared for a serious run next season.

Much of what has happened so far was hard to imagine. Optimystic.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 13 2016, 05:15 PM) *

Why?
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 13 2016, 06:21 PM) *
Much of what has happened so far was hard to imagine. Optimystic.

Cautious optimism. I like what I see from Wentz. He seems to have the potential to become the real deal. however, after four games it's hard to tell whether his success is a result of his (unheralded) skill set or the lack of knowledge opponents have for him and our coach.

I am in the minority, but that game clinching INT (vs DET) was all on him. I know our Iggle fandom is convinced that he is the Messiah, but I am reserving judgment until after the mid way point. Admittedly, I like what I see from him so far.

mcnabbulous
I understand not anointing the guy, but at the very least I think there is no way the guy is a bust. He simply has too many tools to completely fail. And if he won't be a bust, he's capable of winning a championship.

If he turns into what I expect him to, I would expect us to compete for several.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 13 2016, 06:43 PM) *
Why?

Well for starters:

- Our receivers aren't very good.
- Our running game is suspect.
- Our secondary is suspect.
- Jason Peters hasn't looked great.

I'm sure more will unravel as the season progresses. Perhaps the above concerns will be mitigated, but until then we are playing with house money.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 13 2016, 06:45 PM) *
Cautious optimism. I like what I see from Wentz. He seems to have the potential to become the real deal. however, after four games it's hard to tell whether his success is a result of his (unheralded) skill set or the lack of knowledge opponents have for him and our coach.

I am in the minority, but that game clinching INT (vs DET) was all on him. I know our Iggle fandom is convinced that he is the Messiah, but I am reserving judgment until after the mid way point. Admittedly, I like what I see from him so far.

No, he's not the Messiah and there's always the potential for bust. But we need to keep it in perspective. How many football games has the guy played in his life and what is he doing with it? He has less experience that any rookie QB I can think of and he's playing lights out. That doesn't guarantee anything, but it would seem the odds are that he'll be pretty good or better. Most of us have accepted that he'll have failures, but it's how he comes back from them that's important, just like with all of us.
nephillymike
Wentz made a mistake in judgement.

He mistook Agholar for a WR worthy of the opportunity to make that play.

As far as the Eagles go, I think this year's team is probably more talented than next year's version.

We need to do well now.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 13 2016, 08:04 PM) *
As far as the Eagles go, I think this year's team is probably more talented than next year's version.

You got me there. You got some 'splainin' to do, Lucy.
Joegrane
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 13 2016, 08:04 PM) *
Wentz made a mistake in judgement.

He mistook Agholar for a WR worthy of the opportunity to make that play.

If it was a playoff game, I would agree; however, he is still a young WR who has quite a ways to go in his physical development. If Agholor makes that catch, they probably win and he is a hero. That could build his confidence. Personally I think he'll do much better after he has put on 10-15 lbs of muscle.

We need to do well now.

I too want an explanation for that view. Other than J Peters, C Barwin and the punter who are you referring to? McKelvin has not been healthy enough to contribute much.

This is a fairly young team that should be improving.

They don't have many big holes. Picking an outside CB in round 1 could help to fill probably the biggest hole.

The Eagles 2nd round slot might be a decent place to pick a Rt OT or feature RB.

The way MN is playing no one would be surprised if they represent the NFC in the SB and provide another 2nd round pick.

Unless M Smith takes a step forward in his development, the potential loss of Barwin would be significant.

DGB will grow in his knowledge of the offense. Agholor will hopefully get stronger physically.

Eyrie
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 14 2016, 04:40 AM) *
The way MN is playing no one would be surprised if they represent the NFC in the SB and provide another 2nd round pick.

I think that's 2018.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.