Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That was frustrating
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
CT_Eagle
Too many panealties, especially that holding that negated 1st and goal. Matthews fumble was obviously huge. Don't forget the no show by the defense in the first half. Plenty of blame to go around in this one. I did like how Wentz was able to rally the team and take the lead after being down big. Not a good throw by Wentz on the int. That throw should have been out in front so the defender cannot make a play on it.
Zero
True, but despite his amazing play so far he is still a rookie.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 9 2016, 04:15 PM) *
Not a good throw by Wentz on the int. That throw should have been out in front so the defender cannot make a play on it.

That throw kind of reminded me of one of Nick Foles' long bombs/punts, and it never should have been made.

Oh well, it was bound to happen eventually. Time to move on...
Rick
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 10 2016, 07:40 AM) *
That throw kind of reminded me of one of Nick Foles' long bombs/punts, and it never should have been made.

Oh well, it was bound to happen eventually. Time to move on...

Honestly, although the throw could have been better, the receiver HAS to make an effort to catch, knock it down, interfere with the defender, SOMETHING to help his QB out. There was NO effort from him.
nephillymike
D gave up 244 yards.

The last 3 points were on R.Mathews.

21 points and 244 yards?

Not a bad day.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 11 2016, 02:20 AM) *
D gave up 244 yards.

The last 3 points were on R.Mathews.

21 points and 244 yards?

Not a bad day.

Just a bad first half that had a huge impact on the game overall. That is how it goes in close games.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2016, 07:43 AM) *
Just a bad first half that had a huge impact on the game overall. That is how it goes in close games.

When the refs let the opponent hold on nearly every play, it makes it difficult on the defense. There was little we could do.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2016, 02:30 PM) *
When the refs let the opponent hold on nearly every play, it makes it difficult on the defense. There was little we could do.

Wonder why the refs didn't slow down the defense in the 2nd half.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 11 2016, 10:01 AM) *
Wonder why the refs didn't slow down the defense in the 2nd half.

Beats me. But they didn't call any more holding penalties in the second half than they did the first.

Overall it was:
8-1 in the first half
6-1 in the second half

Maybe the Lions just held less in the second half, but I recall three pretty blatant ones from the first few drives.
D Rock
A brief lapse into "integrity." Fortunately, they were back to themselves by the time Matthews fumbled.
Pila
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 9 2016, 09:15 PM) *
Too many panealties, especially that holding that negated 1st and goal. Matthews fumble was obviously huge. Don't forget the no show by the defense in the first half. Plenty of blame to go around in this one. I did like how Wentz was able to rally the team and take the lead after being down big. Not a good throw by Wentz on the int. That throw should have been out in front so the defender cannot make a play on it.

Schwartz was out-schemed. Lions offense looked like the preceding bye-week team. He put an end to that shit in the 2nd half, but took too long.

Also, Eagles won the coin toss - Pederson deferred. That proved to be a mistake. Eagles had two weeks to prepare - scoring first here would have shifted command of the clock to the Eagles.

Refs and coaching were a real difference makers in this one. Hopefully, learning opportunities for both coaches. I don't think this would have been a close game if not for better coaching, despite the atrocious officiating.
mcnabbulous
See I think we would have dominated had it not been for the awful officiating. They made our margin of error minuscule. Had we played perfectly, we could have won, but that is a tall order.
Rick
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 11 2016, 02:43 PM) *
Schwartz was out-schemed. Lions offense looked like the preceding bye-week team. He put an end to that shit in the 2nd half, but took too long.

Also, Eagles won the coin toss - Pederson deferred. That proved to be a mistake. Eagles had two weeks to prepare - scoring first here would have shifted command of the clock to the Eagles.

Refs and coaching were a real difference makers in this one. Hopefully, learning opportunities for both coaches. I don't think this would have been a close game if not for better coaching, despite the atrocious officiating.

Sorry but that wasn't scheming. The defense just looked horrible. Either over-pursued or just didn't pursue. Tackling sucked. Detroit wasn't doing anything special, the defense just sucked.

Thankfully, they came back strong in the 2nd half. Guys were getting after it again.
Pila
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 11 2016, 08:34 PM) *
Sorry but that wasn't scheming. The defense just looked horrible. Either over-pursued or just didn't pursue. Tackling sucked. Detroit wasn't doing anything special, the defense just sucked.

Thankfully, they came back strong in the 2nd half. Guys were getting after it again.

No - there was a specific intention to bounce runs outside, several players even said so. You can say we could still have done better, despite the uncalled holding calls. But once the Lions exhausted their misdirection shit, the defense began to jump position. When you start beating people to where the ball is going, it renders refs useless. And that's what happened in the second half.
D Rock
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 11 2016, 06:43 PM) *

Totally out schemed. Guys don't run wide open simply from a linebacker over running plays.
Rick
They were over-running plays and just not attacking plays. Obviously, they schemed for the Eagles but they did nothing special and the defense played like they had cement shoes. Nobody attacking anything. That's not a scheme issue, that was a lack of effort.
mcnabbulous
Hopefully this will put to rest the idea that this was scheme over our guys being held. Pretty clear on both plays:

https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/786210747504177152
Zero
In both cases there are two refs well positioned to make the call.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 12 2016, 11:14 AM) *
In both cases there are two refs well positioned to make the call.

You can definitely see Connor look at the one like, "dude, what the fuck?"
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 12 2016, 01:38 PM) *
You can definitely see Connor look at the one like, "dude, what the fuck?"

Right after being rudely thrown to the ground. Fix or incompetence?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 12 2016, 01:07 PM) *
Right after being rudely thrown to the ground. Fix or incompetence?

I'd like to believe it's incompetence, but it's just all pretty questionable. A 12 penalty deficit to the most penalized team in football.

In the first play, there were two officials in position to make the call. I just don't know how that gets overlooked.

And then they did call a holding on Brooks later in the game which knocked out a huge Mathews run.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 12 2016, 07:18 PM) *
I'd like to believe it's incompetence, but it's just all pretty questionable. A 12 penalty deficit to the most penalized team in football.

In the first play, there were two officials in position to make the call. I just don't know how that gets overlooked.

And then they did call a holding on Brooks later in the game which knocked out a huge Mathews run.

The phantom calls I think show an eagerness to penalize the Eagles; the imaginary Illegal Man Down Field, the Chop Block on Sproles, so there's no way a blatant hold like that of Brooks would ever escape the eye of the ref.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 12 2016, 01:22 PM) *
so there's no way a blatant hold like that of Brooks would ever escape the eye of the ref.

That was hardly blatant. His hands were inside, which is usually the basis for that call. Either way, things definitely weren't going both ways on Sunday.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 12 2016, 07:34 PM) *
That was hardly blatant. His hands were inside, which is usually the basis for that call. Either way, things definitely weren't going both ways on Sunday.

Looked blatant to me.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 12 2016, 01:47 PM) *
Looked blatant to me.

Brooks said he thought the Lions' player baited the ref into calling the penalty by throwing his arms up.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 12 2016, 07:51 PM) *
Brooks said he thought the Lions' player baited the ref into calling the penalty by throwing his arms up.

That was smart of the defender.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.