Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's go Mr. Wentz
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
SAM I Am
now is as good a time as any to engineer your first of many 4th quarter comeback wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SAM I Am
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 9 2016, 04:02 PM) *
now is as good a time as any to engineer your first of many 4th quarter comeback wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you're not ready for that just yet.
nephillymike
He threw it up for our WR to make a play.

Not the smartest thing to do knowing our WR's.

He didn't have to go for it there, but they played against the Lions and the refs all day.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 9 2016, 04:17 PM) *
He threw it up for our WR to make a play.

Not the smartest thing to do knowing our WR's.

He didn't have to go for it there, but they played against the Lions and the refs all day.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There was no need to go home run there; plenty of time left and you only needed the field goal.
mcnabbulous
I gained faith in Carson today. That third down throw to Matthews prior to the fumble was a thing of beauty. The decision to throw deep want wrong. Agholor either needs to make a play or break it up. Terrible effort.

I still can't get over that playcall which led to the fumble. We were unstoppable short yardage in the zone read today. I can't believe that wasn't the call.

The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 9 2016, 04:33 PM) *
I gained faith in Carson today.

So did I. I couldn't believe that ended up being a pick.
Joegrane
Hopefully both Agholor learns that they needd to become stronger.

If that ball had been thrown to DGB I bet it is a reception due to his length and strength.

I gained faith in Carson today. That third down throw to Matthews prior to the fumble was a thing of beauty. The decision to throw deep want wrong. Agholor either needs to make a play or break it up. Terrible effort.

I still can't get over that playcall which led to the fumble. We were unstoppable short yardage in the zone read today. I can't believe that wasn't the call.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 9 2016, 04:21 PM) *
Hopefully both Agholor learns that they needd to become stronger.

If that ball had been thrown to DGB I bet it is a reception due to his length and strength.

If DGB had those qualities, we win the game because he doesn't drop the one end zone pass.
Zero

Detroit had no timeouts and if Mathews has the ball in the other hand he likely doesn't fumble. I don't think it was a bad call.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 9 2016, 05:30 PM) *
Detroit had no timeouts and if Mathews has the ball in the other hand he likely doesn't fumble. I don't think it was a bad call.

Why pitch the ball 7 yards from the first down when you need to pick up 2?

Wentz had been unstoppable on the read optio today. Put Sproles in the game, snap the ball to our star QB and allow him to make the correct read.

Reality Fan
The decision to throw the ball deep was a terrible call and terrible decision. I understand, almost, if we have a dominant WR but with the Lions in a prevent basically and needing 40 yards in 90 seconds to get in Sturgis' range that was a horrible call. If they throw it to DGB on something like that I still think it is a bad idea but at least he can go after it at a high point.

Tough game to watch.....lopsided on calls by officials.....some really odd calls to end the game....but the team looked really unprepared coming off a bye.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 9 2016, 07:19 PM) *
... the team looked really unprepared coming off a bye.

They looked like they made some good adjustments at halftime, which is a positive indication about our rookie coach. The DL had no pressure in the first half but came out strong in the second.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 9 2016, 06:19 PM) *
The decision to throw the ball deep was a terrible call and terrible decision. I understand, almost, if we have a dominant WR but with the Lions in a prevent basically and needing 40 yards in 90 seconds to get in Sturgis' range that was a horrible call. If they throw it to DGB on something like that I still think it is a bad idea but at least he can go after it at a high point.

Tough game to watch.....lopsided on calls by officials.....some really odd calls to end the game....but the team looked really unprepared coming off a bye.

I don't know. Could have easily been called PI. I don't know what % of those throws get intercepted, but I suspect the likelihood of good (completion, PI) outweighs bad (e.g. INT) in those situations.

It was a shitty way for it to end though, because I do think we could have driven down the field.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 9 2016, 07:42 PM) *
I don't know. Could have easily been called PI. I don't know what % of those throws get intercepted, but I suspect the likelihood of good (completion, PI) outweighs bad (e.g. INT) in those situations.

It was a shitty way for it to end though, because I do think we could have driven down the field.

That is exactly my point...they had plenty of time and only needed a FG. They were starting at the 25 and the Lions were playing not to get beat deep. It was like me playing Madden when I was a kid....always throw the bomb....just a bad call and a bad decision, especially to throw to Agholor. If we had a Julio or a Green type guy I get it but a guy who many thought could get cut coming out of camp? He has been ok but just ok. Dumb dumb dumb...lol
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 9 2016, 07:44 PM) *
That is exactly my point...they had plenty of time and only needed a FG. They were starting at the 25 and the Lions were playing not to get beat deep. It was like me playing Madden when I was a kid....always throw the bomb....just a bad call and a bad decision, especially to throw to Agholor. If we had a Julio or a Green type guy I get it but a guy who many thought could get cut coming out of camp? He has been ok but just ok. Dumb dumb dumb...lol

I hear you. I just don't think it was an egregious decision. In most cases, that ball falls harmlessly to the ground. It will get caught or result in a PI from time to time. Rarely does it get picked.

I liked the aggressive nature of the throw. As opposed to the pitch to Mathews, which felt like they were playing not to lose. I just can't understand taking the ball out of Wentz's hands on that play.
D Rock
I've not read the previous responses. But that last play was on Nelson. In the replay, it's apparent that he was running what he seemed to think was a decoy route. He didn't get into top gear until the ball was in the air. Lazy route. Poor attempt on the ball. Our WRs suck balls.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 9 2016, 09:06 PM) *
I've not read the previous responses. But that last play was on Nelson. In the replay, it's apparent that he was running what he seemed to think was a decoy route. He didn't get into top gear until the ball was in the air. Lazy route. Poor attempt on the ball. Our WRs suck balls.

Which is why it was a terrible call....did they think Agholor suddenly was a great WR? 40 yards in 90 secs.....all they needed for a real shot
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 9 2016, 08:52 PM) *
I hear you. I just don't think it was an egregious decision. In most cases, that ball falls harmlessly to the ground. It will get caught or result in a PI from time to time. Rarely does it get picked.

I liked the aggressive nature of the throw. As opposed to the pitch to Mathews, which felt like they were playing not to lose. I just can't understand taking the ball out of Wentz's hands on that play.

It is a terrible call because it wastes a down and precious time if it is incomplete...which is the likely scenario throwing to Agholor.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 9 2016, 10:31 PM) *
It is a terrible call because it wastes a down and precious time if it is incomplete...which is the likely scenario throwing to Agholor.

I haven't really seen a replay. Any idea what the other receivers were doing on the play? Or if there was an obvious place Wentz should have gone with the ball?

Eagle2720
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 9 2016, 11:42 PM) *
I haven't really seen a replay. Any idea what the other receivers were doing on the play? Or if there was an obvious place Wentz should have gone with the ball?

I only saw a little of it until Matthews ran out of the camera screen and by that time he was hucking it down field but it looked like he was open running a shallow drag across the middle. Could have been covered but they just didn't fit the defender in the shot but I'm not sure.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 10 2016, 04:30 AM) *
Which is why it was a terrible call....did they think Agholor suddenly was a great WR? 40 yards in 90 secs.....all they needed for a real shot

A "B" rated WR makes that play. A "C" rated WR at least breaks it up. Lazy route. Poor effort on the ball. (Again)

If the call was bad... I don't believe it was... but, if... it was ONLY bad in the sense that our WRs suck nards.

D Rock
Quick add...

I don't believe Nelson was the primary read on the play.

I also don't have a problem with the choice by CW. It was 1on1. Give a FIRST ROUND FUCKING RECIEVER a chance to prove something.

Greatness is thrust upon...

...or...

...not...
SAM I Am
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 10 2016, 02:37 AM) *
I don't believe Nelson was the primary read on the play.

You are right there. According to Pedey in his post game presser, the wasted first round pick was his third read in the progression. Still, no need to go there.
D Rock
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 10 2016, 11:33 AM) *
You are right there. According to Pedey in his post game presser, the wasted first round pick was his third read in the progression. Still, no need to go there.

It was 1 on 1. That says it was the right read.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 10 2016, 09:37 AM) *
It was 1 on 1. That says it was the right read.

Worst case scenario it should have been an incompletion. If it was his third read and nothing else was open, it was a worthwhile effort. Agholor has to make a play on the ball.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 10 2016, 03:43 PM) *
Worst case scenario it should have been an incompletion. If it was his third read and nothing else was open, it was a worthwhile effort. Agholor has to make a play on the ball.

He was quoted as saying he couldn't "locate" the ball. I heard it as if to say he never saw the fucking thing.

What a waste of a 1st round pick.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 10 2016, 12:10 PM) *
He was quoted as saying he couldn't "locate" the ball. I heard it as if to say he never saw the fucking thing.

What a waste of a 1st round pick.

He does look lost out there.

We could have signed Marvin Jones.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 10 2016, 08:20 PM) *
He does look lost out there.

We could have signed Marvin Jones.

Hopefully we've learned and won't make that kind of mistake in the off-season.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 10 2016, 10:03 PM) *
Hopefully we've learned and won't make that kind of mistake in the off-season.

lol...you did not think that was a mistake last offseason...but I agree....that was one of the guys I wanted them to get.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 11 2016, 12:03 AM) *
lol...you did not think that was a mistake last offseason...but I agree....that was one of the guys I wanted them to get.

And you didn't feel Wentz was worth the price that we paid for him. Mistake made, learn from it and move on.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 11 2016, 09:41 AM) *
And you didn't feel Wentz was worth the price that we paid for him. Mistake made, learn from it and move on.

I was wrong about Wentz's ability.....the trade was still a bad idea. 9 out of 10 times that move fails, I am stunned and happy that something good appears to have happened for us but it seems so. That does not make it a great idea, just a happy mistake. It is like gutting a wedge from 100 yards that rolls onto the green and 2" from the cup.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 11 2016, 09:41 AM) *
I was wrong about Wentz's ability.....the trade was still a bad idea. 9 out of 10 times that move fails, I am stunned and happy that something good appears to have happened for us but it seems so. That does not make it a great idea, just a happy mistake. It is like gutting a wedge from 100 yards that rolls onto the green and 2" from the cup.

Sometimes it takes big risks to achieve big results.

They also mitigated the risks significantly by building a QB heavy staff and having Sam as a trade chip.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 11 2016, 02:41 PM) *

A happy mistake? You're hilarious. As if they didn't do any homework on Carson. As if they just threw a dart at a wall of QB headshots. Getting Carson may be a lot of different things, but a "happy mistake" is not one.

Look, we all know you're still trying to coax down your stiffie for Sleaves. But, he's gone, brother. It's over.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 11 2016, 10:52 AM) *
A happy mistake? You're hilarious. As if they didn't do any homework on Carson. As if they just threw a dart at a wall of QB headshots. Getting Carson may be a lot of different things, but a "happy mistake" is not one.

Look, we all know you're still trying to coax down your stiffie for Sleaves. But, he's gone, brother. It's over.

oh...I get it...the teams that make a move like that and fail did not do their homework......got it...great point.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 11 2016, 10:52 AM) *
Sometimes it takes big risks to achieve big results.

no question there.....merely pointing out that in the NFL those big risks fail more often than not which is why big is the adjective used.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 11 2016, 03:14 PM) *
oh...I get it...the teams that make a move like that and fail did not do their homework......got it...great point.

and those situations were not accidents either.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 11 2016, 03:15 PM) *
no question there.....merely pointing out that in the NFL those big risks fail more often than not which is why big is the adjective used.

"Risk" does not equate to "accident."
mcnabbulous
I've been saying it for years, but I'd rather be wrong about a guy then miss out on a star at the most important position in sports.

You can recover from a missed draft pick. The great ones don't come around very often.
D Rock
Right?

This is a rough season for Lambs and Browns fans.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 11 2016, 10:28 AM) *
Right?

This is a rough season for Lambs and Browns fans.

After watching Jameis last night, I'm further convinced we have the best young QB in football
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.