Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jason Peters ...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Lots of us had serious doubts about him after last season but he sure looks like he's still one of the best LTs in the game. If he keeps it up like this, that $11.2 mil cap hit for next year is going to have to either be accepted or negotiated down somehow. After what he said before leaving Buffalo and pretty much echoed recently, I don't think a cut in pay is likely.
"He takes things very personal in terms of his level of play," center Jason Kelce said. "He's a proud man, proud of the way he plays, like he should be. It's more than just a game for him. This is what he's built his legacy on, the type of man he is, and I think that's the way he carries himself."
Linc ..
mcnabbulous
Why does it need negotiated down?
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 8 2016, 09:33 AM) *
Why does it need negotiated down?

I said that wrong. I mean just the cap hit. Over the Cap has us at $6.7 mil of cap space, fourth from the bottom. If they need to add a FA that doesn't give them much wiggle room.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 8 2016, 12:03 PM) *
I said that wrong. I mean just the cap hit. Over the Cap has us at $6.7 mil of cap space, fourth from the bottom. If they need to add a FA that doesn't give them much wiggle room.

There are several things that will impact their cap next year.....they may be able to roll over close to 10 million at this point, they can/may extend or renegotiate Barwin's contract and they will likely extend or cut Peters. He is playing great right now but he will be a year older and closer to the end of his career than the start and his cap number is 11 million. Most of the beat writers have him gone but if he stays healthy and playing as he is right now I would think an extension might be attempted at a lower number. The question becomes what/who do they target in the FA market next year?
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 8 2016, 12:45 PM) *
The question becomes what/who do they target in the FA market next year?

There's a lot of football left to play this year, but to me it looks like they're thin at LB and CB on the defense and potentially a WR and OL on the offense wouldn't hurt.
Cowboyhater
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 8 2016, 04:45 PM) *
There are several things that will impact their cap next year.....they may be able to roll over close to 10 million at this point, they can/may extend or renegotiate Barwin's contract and they will likely extend or cut Peters. He is playing great right now but he will be a year older and closer to the end of his career than the start and his cap number is 11 million. Most of the beat writers have him gone but if he stays healthy and playing as he is right now I would think an extension might be attempted at a lower number. The question becomes what/who do they target in the FA market next year?

Peters will be effected by how the rookie plays at right tackle once lane is suspended. I see peters, bardwin, ryan mathews, and kendricks not here next year.that opens up a fair amount of cap space.
Joegrane
M Smith's performance could affect Barwin's spot, especially with Barwin's big cap #. They also need to resign B Logan too, correct?

The Eagles only have one power back--Matthews. I don't expect them to give up on him before they have a replacement on the team, unless is health is terrible. Matthews is a FA after 2017.

If MN goes to the SB, their low 2nd rounder might give the Eagles ammunition to draft their feature back of the future, an outside CB or two or maybe the O RT of the future.

I don't expect them to cut Kendricks due to the dead money. I would not be surprised if they draft his replacement next year. Cutting him after 2017 would still mean 3.2 mil in dead money.

I assume C Daniel and his 8 mil cap hit will be around next year since his dead $ would be 7mil. Might they look to draft another QB this year in the mid rounds? My guess is that they'll continue to look for an old veteran in 2018 to fill the #2 QB spot behind the young CW.

I'm surprised that SamB and E Rowe will have a total 6.5mil in dead $ in 2017 even though they were traded.

QUOTE (Cowboyhater @ Oct 8 2016, 06:17 PM) *
Peters will be effected by how the rookie plays at right tackle once lane is suspended. I see peters, bardwin, ryan mathews, and kendricks not here next year.that opens up a fair amount of cap space.
Cowboyhater
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 9 2016, 12:40 AM) *
M Smith's performance could affect Barwin's spot, especially with Barwin's big cap #. They also need to resign B Logan too, correct?

The Eagles only have one power back--Matthews. I don't expect them to give up on him before they have a replacement on the team, unless is health is terrible. Matthews is a FA after 2017.

If MN goes to the SB, their low 2nd rounder might give the Eagles ammunition to draft their feature back of the future, an outside CB or two or maybe the O RT of the future.

I don't expect them to cut Kendricks due to the dead money. I would not be surprised if they draft his replacement next year. Cutting him after 2017 would still mean 3.2 mil in dead money.

I assume C Daniel and his 8 mil cap hit will be around next year since his dead $ would be 7mil. Might they look to draft another QB this year in the mid rounds? My guess is that they'll continue to look for an old veteran in 2018 to fill the #2 QB spot behind the young CW.

I'm surprised that SamB and E Rowe will have a total 6.5mil in dead $ in 2017 even though they were traded.

While there's going to be dead money, teams sometimes look at created cap space. This isn't chips team. Cutting kendricks adds 1.8 mil in cap space. Bardwin will be cut or renegotiate unless he produces better numbers. Right now he has the worst numbers of ant starter, plus it gives curry a place to start.
R mathews will be gone, his numbers are terrible. They can draft a power back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.