Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NFC East = NFC Beast
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Don't look now, but the NFC East has the best overall record in football.

It's not looking like 9-7 will win this division anymore.

Count on at least 10 wins to get it done.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 5 2016, 06:20 AM) *
Don't look now, but the NFC East has the best overall record in football.

It's not looking like 9-7 will win this division anymore.

Count on at least 10 wins to get it done.

Quality of opponents plays into that but so does refereeing. It sure looked to me like the refs wanted Dallas to beat the 9ers, and if I recall, there was some assistance provided to the Skins over the lowly Browns too. I'm not impressed with any of the other three division teams right now, Dallas appears to be the best. I'm sure they'll improve when some players return from suspension and injury, but right now they're not exactly a juggernaut. For objectivity sake, neither are the Eagles who probably have the most to prove. Opposing teams will learn tendencies on both JP and CW with more film and the teams coming up aren't cupcakes.
Dreagon
Hard to say. We are now a quarter of the way into the season and I have less of a feeling for this division than ever before. There are just so many variables that can still be taken a bunch of different ways.

1. Pittsburgh is the only team that any of the teams has played that looks like a contender. So that at least helps you guys legitimacy.
2. Rookie quarterbacks playing like All-Pros. Will that last? How will they adapt when the first team gets enough film together for defensive coordinators to identify their tendencies?
3. Eli Manning - He's thrown as many interceptions as touchdowns this year. He currently has a 87.8 qb rating but he really hasn't been that good. And Beckham is becoming a sideshow all in himself. This might merely be the Giants typical slow start, but they don't have Coughlin to rally the troops anymore. Another case of time will tell.
4. The Redskins are simply retarded and will remain that way while Snyder runs the team. Predicting them is hopeless. I actually had them favored to win the division at the start of the year. Now I realize it's like trying to predict the spark patterns in a dumpster fire.
5. As for Dallas, the most accurate thing to say is that at least we beat the teams that I would hope we should beat. Our three October games will be tougher, and tell us more.

Actually, one of the biggest advantages you guys enjoy at the moment is likely team cohesion in the near future. Not a lot of drama on you guys roster or head office at the moment, and so far none is on the horizen. The Giants already have Eli sniping at Beckham, and Beckham losing fights to kicking nets. We may be looking at a quarterback controversy in the near future, especially if Romo comes back rusty and Jerry decides to stick with the guy he's paying 20 million dollars instead of the guy winning football games. And the Redskins...well, everybody knows that story.
mcnabbulous
Eagles are good. Dallas looks above average. Giants blow. Redskins blow.
Phits
Good points. We really don't know how good any of the teams in the NFCE are, regardless of how well we have played thus far. The downside to our situation in Philly is that we have a rookie QB and HC, teams are still in the process of figuring us out. This often leads to a false sense of security. We've seen many teams start off looking great and limp to the finish line
- 2009 Broncos were 6-0, before losing 8 of their last 10
- 2008 and 2011 the Bills were 4-0 and missed the playoffs both times
- 2012 Cards were 4-0 finished 8-8
- 2013 Bears and Dolphins miss playoffs after starting 3-0
- 2015 Falcons were 5-0 and finished 8-8

Bottom line, it's too early to tell how good we are/aren't. Logic dictates that the level of our rookie QB play can't be sustained and there will be an eventual drop-off.

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Oct 5 2016, 11:14 AM) *
Hard to say. We are now a quarter of the way into the season and I have less of a feeling for this division than ever before. There are just so many variables that can still be taken a bunch of different ways.

1. Pittsburgh is the only team that any of the teams has played that looks like a contender. So that at least helps you guys legitimacy.
2. Rookie quarterbacks playing like All-Pros. Will that last? How will they adapt when the first team gets enough film together for defensive coordinators to identify their tendencies?
3. Eli Manning - He's thrown as many interceptions as touchdowns this year. He currently has a 87.8 qb rating but he really hasn't been that good. And Beckham is becoming a sideshow all in himself. This might merely be the Giants typical slow start, but they don't have Coughlin to rally the troops anymore. Another case of time will tell.
4. The Redskins are simply retarded and will remain that way while Snyder runs the team. Predicting them is hopeless. I actually had them favored to win the division at the start of the year. Now I realize it's like trying to predict the spark patterns in a dumpster fire.
5. As for Dallas, the most accurate thing to say is that at least we beat the teams that I would hope we should beat. Our three October games will be tougher, and tell us more.

Actually, one of the biggest advantages you guys enjoy at the moment is likely team cohesion in the near future. Not a lot of drama on you guys roster or head office at the moment, and so far none is on the horizen. The Giants already have Eli sniping at Beckham, and Beckham losing fights to kicking nets. We may be looking at a quarterback controversy in the near future, especially if Romo comes back rusty and Jerry decides to stick with the guy he's paying 20 million dollars instead of the guy winning football games. And the Redskins...well, everybody knows that story.

mcnabbulous
The only counterpoint is that Carson's best pro comp went 13-3 with a 98.1 rating as a rookie.

That type of success, while unlikely, isn't unprecedented.

Doug also has been learning from one of the more innovative and creative playcallers in football. Preparing to stop our offense, which probably has more playbook flexibility than ever due to Carson's abilities, is going to be as difficult as ever.

Those simple out routes we've had so much success with just can't be run with a guy like Alex Smith under center.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 5 2016, 04:34 PM) *
The only counterpoint is that Carson's best pro comp went 13-3 with a 98.1 rating as a rookie.

That type of success, while unlikely, isn't unprecedented.

Doug also has been learning from one of the more innovative and creative playcallers in football. Preparing to stop our offense, which probably has more playbook flexibility than ever due to Carson's abilities, is going to be as difficult as ever.

Those simple out routes we've had so much success with just can't be run with a guy like Alex Smith under center.

Rapistburger had a better run game than Carson does, and a slightly better (more proven/consistent) defense. But I generally share your optimism.
mcnabbulous
I don't know where I got 13-3 from. He went undefeated.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 5 2016, 12:42 PM) *
Rapistburger had a better run game than Carson does, and a slightly better (more proven/consistent) defense. But I generally share your optimism.

As you pointed out, Pitts had a proven D. However, that seems to be an understatement. Their D was stacked (Porter, Polamalu, Harrison, Farrior). They also had an excellent ball control offense with Duce and Bettis and the supporting offensive line. Lest we forget they also had a great 1-2 punch with Hines Ward and Randle-El. That Pittsburgh team was just waiting for a (real) QB to drop into the pivot spot. While we have great hope for the future, our team is still rounding into shape. While CWentz and Ben R have similar traits as QBs, Ben didn't have to do much more than manage the game for Pitt.

The only way for us keep up this pace is if Wentz is does much more...much quicker (than Ben R did) AND we establish a running game AND our defence contains to play at such a high level. That's a tall order for this season.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 5 2016, 12:33 PM) *
That Pittsburgh team was just waiting for a (real) QB to drop into the pivot spot.

Hmmmmm
Cowboyhater
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Oct 5 2016, 03:14 PM) *

People forget that last year the skins won a large amount of close games and they didn't beat a team in the regular season that had a winning record. Dallas had no qb, birds had chip, and the giants are the giants.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.