Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I'm listening to Ray Diddy on WIP yesterday
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
First off, kudos to Mr. Didinger, just turned 70 and signed a new contract with Comcast so his football analysis will continue, hopefully, for many years to come.

That said, he has always been the guy who could see through the end result and show where weaknesses and trouble were coming from. So here is is yesterday and his co-host literally asked about what reality check he had to offer about Wentz or the Eagles and the answer was surprising. As far as Wentz, he started out saying he isn't going to say the kid is a shoe in as a HOF QB, but from what he has seen, he has NEVER seen a rookie QB play this well. I think the most telling thing he said was that, not only has Wentz not thrown a pick, none of his passes have come close to being intercepted. I had not even considered that, but once he said it I realized how truly impressive that is.

As for the team as a whole, and the D in particular, he said that the players on D are clearly better suited to Shcwartz's scheme and look very cohesive so early in the season, and that bodes well for the rest of the season. So here is a guy who has more experience analyzing football games and players, who never shied away from criticism even when the team was succeeding, being hard pressed to find any faults with what he has seen in the first three games. When one of the most honored HOF football journalist's opinion is so positive I can't help but feel that we are on the cusp of something special.
Joegrane
I disagree somewhat, although Ray Didi is my favorite.

In game 1 CW picked up a bad snap and fired to a WR running an Out against a Probowl CB. The CB got his hands on it but could not bring it in. That could have been a pick-6.

In the same game he fired too hard to Huff on a middle screen. The ball bounced up into the air and luckily came down in N Agholor's hands rather than in the MLB or S's hands.

In the Pitt game he fired an out that hit the CB who was not looking towards the QB. Again that could have been a Pick-6.

I'd like to add to the list a throw over the middle in one of the first two games. He rolled to his left and then threw awkwardly back into the middle of the field into double or triple coverage. That type of throw has INT written all over it. However CW threaded the needle by placing the ball where only his WR could catch it. At the time I commented that such throws would cause CW to either end up on the bench or in Canton.

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 29 2016, 12:06 PM) *
... Mr. Didinger...not only has Wentz not thrown a pick, none of his passes have come close to being intercepted.

mcnabbulous
The one that jumped out to me was that out you mentioned against Pittsburgh. I didn't think it would result in a pick-6, but it was poorly thrown and could have been picked.
Reality Fan
As you all know I was not a Wentz fan but I have to agree with Diddy and I am rather shocked by it. While not every pass has been amazing there are only 2 that I thought were poorly thrown or a bad decision and that is amazing to me. I thought the same thing as Ray, the fact that almost every pass he throws is the right decision is really startling.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 29 2016, 03:59 PM) *
I disagree somewhat, although Ray Didi is my favorite.

In game 1 CW picked up a bad snap and fired to a WR running an Out against a Probowl CB. The CB got his hands on it but could not bring it in. That could have been a pick-6.

In the same game he fired too hard to Huff on a middle screen. The ball bounced up into the air and luckily came down in N Agholor's hands rather than in the MLB or S's hands.

In the Pitt game he fired an out that hit the CB who was not looking towards the QB. Again that could have been a Pick-6.

I'd like to add to the list a throw over the middle in one of the first two games. He rolled to his left and then threw awkwardly back into the middle of the field into double or triple coverage. That type of throw has INT written all over it. However CW threaded the needle by placing the ball where only his WR could catch it. At the time I commented that such throws would cause CW to either end up on the bench or in Canton.

Answer this, did any of those 'could have been picked' balls even TOUCH a defender's hands? I think not. I'm sure he will make mistakes, but so far I have not seen a truly errant pass that you could say, 'that should have been a pick.' Can you really say those examples should have been picks? Or that they looked like errors in judgement? Not really in my opinion.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 29 2016, 04:58 PM) *
Answer this, did any of those 'could have been picked' balls even TOUCH a defender's hands? I think not. I'm sure he will make mistakes, but so far I have not seen a truly errant pass that you could say, 'that should have been a pick.' Can you really say those examples should have been picks? Or that they looked like errors in judgement? Not really in my opinion.

I thought the Steelers one did, or at least his body. But wasn't the result of a poor decision. He just threw it too far inside.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 29 2016, 12:06 PM) *
First off, kudos to Mr. Didinger, just turned 70 and signed a new contract with Comcast so his football analysis will continue, hopefully, for many years to come.

That said, he has always been the guy who could see through the end result and show where weaknesses and trouble were coming from. So here is is yesterday and his co-host literally asked about what reality check he had to offer about Wentz or the Eagles and the answer was surprising. As far as Wentz, he started out saying he isn't going to say the kid is a shoe in as a HOF QB, but from what he has seen, he has NEVER seen a rookie QB play this well. I think the most telling thing he said was that, not only has Wentz not thrown a pick, none of his passes have come close to being intercepted. I had not even considered that, but once he said it I realized how truly impressive that is.

As for the team as a whole, and the D in particular, he said that the players on D are clearly better suited to Shcwartz's scheme and look very cohesive so early in the season, and that bodes well for the rest of the season. So here is a guy who has more experience analyzing football games and players, who never shied away from criticism even when the team was succeeding, being hard pressed to find any faults with what he has seen in the first three games. When one of the most honored HOF football journalist's opinion is so positive I can't help but feel that we are on the cusp of something special.

Like others on this thread, I also think he had a few passes that had the "potential" to get picked, and of those, one that I think of that could have gone to the house was a floater in the first game that he threw over the head of Jordan Mathews in the flat. If the safety --- I believe it was who slid up on that play --- had been in a little bit of a better spot when it went over Mathew's head, he could have taken that softball throw in for six. Luckily, it just floated to the turf.

Outside of that, I am pretty much in agreement with the rest of what R Diddy had to say.

One more thing. The "REALITY CHECK" was a television thing ---- CSN. I doubt you would hear it on the radio, but I can't say for sure, because I probably have listened to WIP maybe 10 times in the last 10 years.

Happy BDay R Diddy! He really is as nice of a guy in person as he is on tv. At the game one day as they were preparing the set prior to the pregame show, I got a chance to say hello to him. To my surprise, he chatted with me for about 5 minutes. Very nice gentleman.
nephillymike
R. Diddy is a treasure.

I've been a fan of his for many years.

His show with Glenn and the rapport they have is an enjoyable listen. Having worked Saturday mornings for the last 20 years and he has made the time go by enjoyably.

As far as Wentz goes, remember, he has had three touchdowns dropped.

Not one where the WR is running along the back line of the end zone full speed one way and the ball is thrown behind the WR, we're talking about right on the money rainbows.

Matthews, Agholar, and DGB are all guilty.

They catch those and his stats are through the roof.

Now fans of the Diddy, know he has a few quirks. Many of you may know that he and Glenn have a stupid football bet every year of something inconsequential like Thomas Tapeh runs or Clay Harbor catches etc. The loser buys dinner at a nice restaurant.

What I would do if I were Glenn and I won the bet, I would have Ray pose for a picture with this setting:

In a bar
With a mug of beer, half empty
Wearing khaki shorts
Talking on a cell phone
With a fantasy football guide on the table
With a bag of Halloween candy with his name on it.

Free dinner paid by Ray, $125.

The picture above, priceless.

Anyone who's a fan of the show will know what I mean.

Joegrane
The Cle ProBowl CB got his hands on it.
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 29 2016, 05:58 PM) *

Phits
I wonder would he have gone over the top, to the streaking receiver, if he had an extra half second. There's another angle to this hilight that makes it appear as though he is forcing the pass to JMAT.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 30 2016, 09:30 AM) *
I wonder would he have gone over the top, to the streaking receiver, if he had an extra half second. There's another angle to this hilight that makes it appear as though he is forcing the pass to JMAT.

When you have a rocket like that, you can fit a throw through a pin hole!
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 30 2016, 07:29 PM) *

Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 30 2016, 07:29 PM) *

True, but a little touch over the top would have resulted in a TD. Not complaining, just an observation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.